OR speakers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numberwunn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting to a point in residency where I can sometimes choose the music, but I don't have a speaker to pay my tunes, and one of my staff says that it is now one of my duties. Any recommendations on good OR speakers? I know many of my peers have Bose as a balance between size, battery, and sound. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I got a little cube speaker from costco that is waterproof and has a carabiner I can attach to my scrubs when not in use because I didn't want to get some fancy thing that was so big I would have to leave it there and I figured being able to wash it off may come in handy at some point. Made by eco-gear and was around 20 bucks

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a little cube speaker from costco that is waterproof and has a carabiner I can attach to my scrubs when not in use because I didn't want to get some fancy thing that was so big I would have to leave it there and I figured being able to wash it off may come in handy at some point. Made by eco-gear and was around 20 bucks

If I need speakers I use a jbl on stage. It works great. Had a remote I could clip inside my shirt to control while scrubbed till it broke...

I have the Bose and love it. I take it with me in a bag rather than leave it in my OR locker; I guess I've been lucky because on the times I've left it behind, I've never had a problem with theft in the OR. Perhaps the filming of OR activity prevents that.

Reactions: 1 users
another vote for the bose. i have the silver one, i think its called the sound link 2. i must work in an honest place because I've forgotten it in the room and always had it returned to me so far

another vote for the bose. i have the silver one, i think its called the sound link 2. i must work in an honest place because I've forgotten it in the room and always had it returned to me so far
Where i trained a med student once had her lunch money stolen out of the pocket of her white coat while it hung in her locker room. Meanwhile my dept chair once dropped her gigantic harry winston diamond ring in the hallway and it was tossed in a drawer because whoever found it thought it was fake. There was no rhyme or reason which might be why the paranoia remains.

Where i trained a med student once had her lunch money stolen out of the pocket of her white coat while it hung in her locker room. Meanwhile my dept chair once dropped her gigantic harry winston diamond ring in the hallway and it was tossed in a drawer because whoever found it thought it was fake. There was no rhyme or reason which might be why the paranoia remains.

same chair also left her gold and diamond studded rolex in the OR which i was told was returned to her by the chief resident who was rewarded to a nice dinner out...as the story was told to me haha

same chair also left her gold and diamond studded rolex in the OR which i was told was returned to her by the chief resident who was rewarded to a nice dinner out...as the story was told to me haha
She told me once an earring of hers fell into the pt while she was in training but it was found before closing. You would think she would have given up on jewelry after that.

Any new recs here? Any experience with the JBL Flip 4 or something similar?

Anker SoundCore

Good sound quality and plenty loud enough to fill an OR (even when placed across the room). And at $26, I never worry about it getting stolen. They make a newer version that's $15 more which apparently has more bass and adds water resistance.

Anker SoundCore

Good sound quality and plenty loud enough to fill an OR (even when placed across the room). And at $26, I never worry about it getting stolen. They make a newer version that's $15 more which apparently has more bass and adds water resistance.
I use a lot of Anker products and have been looking closely at them. Glad to hear you've had a good experience

UE Roll (or its upgraded cousin Roll 2) - on the pricier side, but it has nice sound, it’s waterproof and therefore easily cleaned, and the bungee cord makes it easy to hang from a spare IV pole or whatever is close and available.

Reactions: 1 user
Put your phone in a suction cannister. Sound quality ain't the best but it's free

UE Roll (or its upgraded cousin Roll 2) - on the pricier side, but it has nice sound, it’s waterproof and therefore easily cleaned, and the bungee cord makes it easy to hang from a spare IV pole or whatever is close and available.

UE roll gets my vote too. It’s loud, you can get a second one to have stereo sound. Single one fit in my scrub pocket just fine and no uncomfortable bulge.

And you can hang it or strap it around IV pole!