Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SugarNaCl

Dental Student
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you know so far about the specialty of OMFR? I know it is fairly new, but is there a demand for them? Do they mostly practice in hospitals? Some programs say they prepare students for hospital or private practice, but wouldn't private practice be REALLY expensive in this field? If someone went into OMFR, would they likely not be able to choose where in the country to reside because of the nature of the specialty and the need for them (like oral and maxillofacial prosthodontists where jobs are very specialized but few places aside from a couple area hospital hire them.)

Members don't see this ad.

What do you know so far about the specialty of OMFR? I know it is fairly new, but is there a demand for them? Do they mostly practice in hospitals? Some programs say they prepare students for hospital or private practice, but wouldn't private practice be REALLY expensive in this field? If someone went into OMFR, would they likely not be able to choose where in the country to reside because of the nature of the specialty and the need for them (like oral and maxillofacial prosthodontists where jobs are very specialized but few places aside from a couple area hospital hire them.)

I still don't see the "need" for this specialty. In private practice, dentists have t be able to interpret their own peri-apicals and panorexes (which isn't difficult and is learned in dental school). In the hospital, there isn't a type of radiograph that the regular MD radiologists can't read for you. But in the hospital, the only dental practitioners ordering xrays are oral surgeons who generally read their own. I just don't see the need for the specialty.

I still don't see the "need" for this specialty. In private practice, dentists have t be able to interpret their own peri-apicals and panorexes (which isn't difficult and is learned in dental school). In the hospital, there isn't a type of radiograph that the regular MD radiologists can't read for you. But in the hospital, the only dental practitioners ordering xrays are oral surgeons who generally read their own. I just don't see the need for the specialty.

Possibly to teach radiology at dental schools and do research on new techniques and technologies?

Members don't see this ad :)
Possibly to teach radiology at dental schools and do research on new techniques and technologies?

Yeah, that is sort of what it seems like to me too. It seems to be a research field. Technology development for better treatment or something.

There is a private practicing OMFR in Raleigh, NC. His website is: http://www.carolinaomfimaging.com/index_content.html

I think he does a lot of cone beam CT stuff for implants. As cone beam CT becomes more affordable, I envision more and more OMFS (and perioDENTISTS) buying their own though.

Indeed. We had two at our school in Arizona. One is the dean of the clinic, and the other has an outpatient imaging center, which I believe utilizes mostly cone beam CTs for implant placement for the general dentist who wants a CT, but doesn't have one in office.