Oral Boards Automatic Fails

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anesthesia85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone come across a list of things that will make you automatically fail (ie ACLS, LAST, MH mgmt, etc)?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a guy who said he answered a question about what dose of an infusion he'd use with "drip-drip drip-drip drip-drip" while waggling some fingers.

He did not pass, never went back to try again, yet he went on to some success. He was a partner in a group I moonlighted for 5 or 6 years ago. I think he's retired now.

These days one's career options aren't quite so good if one never passes, but he's still kind of a hero to me.

Reactions: 3 users
The idea of there being autofails or that you have any real control over the direction the stem takes are antiquated notions and do not reflect how the exam works.

When I refer to autofails I mean reasonable responses that are just ultimately, and maybe painfully, incorrect. If you say something like "I engage the trap door mechanism and the surgeon plummets to his death, thus ending the discussion" then your chances of passing, or even making it out of the building without a psych follow up, are low.

Reactions: 1 users
Stick your head in the room at the time out, mumble "I agree" and leave the CRNA or resident to do the case....that's an automatic fail.

Reactions: 1 users
Stick your head in the room at the time out, mumble "I agree" and leave the CRNA or resident to do the case....that's an automatic fail.

Really? But I thought we were supposed to do what we would do in real life? Maybe should have 2 different exams for those who "are present for induction, maintenance, and emergence" vs those who do their own cases. Supervisers exam should be about how fast their times are to run out of the room and relay between rooms haha

Really? But I thought we were supposed to do what we would do in real life? Maybe should have 2 different exams for those who "are present for induction, maintenance, and emergence" vs those who do their own cases. Supervisers exam should be about how fast their times are to run out of the room and relay between rooms haha

Relay? You mean back to staring at the board and drinking coffee, counting down until you can go home.