order of classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuriousResearcher

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Academic advisors tell me taking general bio, I.chem1, and gen physics1 is too much. All have a lab component but I figured taking physics with these classes is better than having to do so than with upper level biology classes and o.chem. thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Academic advisors tell me taking general bio, I.chem1, and gen physics1 is too much. All have a lab component but I figured taking physics with these classes is better than having to do so than with upper level biology classes and o.chem. thoughts?

No, this isn't too much.

It's not too much. Besides if you're going to medical school, you better get used to heavy science course load. Besides gen bio is a joke....So take physics with that. You're right....I had to take upper level bio on top of organic chem with physics and all had labs. My sophomore year was not fun lol. Don't do what I did

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine with that

What's wrong with you guys? It is way too much. Have you ever had three labs in one semester? It's awful. A full lab report can take several hours especially if you're doing all the error analysis in physics. Also, working with a partner sucks. OP, take 2 science classes, 2 labs and maybe 2 humanities and a math class or something like that. Three sciences is too much especially if you're a freshman. Trust me, I've done it.

I saved physics for senior year as I wasn't planning on taking more than a year of it and it worked for me. All of my upper levels at that point were capstones/research so it was mostly independent work. It gave me plenty of room for focusing on physics. Also, it might be nice if you take the MCAT while wrapping up physics so it will be fresh in your mind. Just a thought.

What is your history? Have you carried heavy loads before and done well? (for example: my last year in HS I took 8 classes including 6 AP) If you've done it before successfully, and know what it takes, then you should be fine. But if you have no history of doing this, you probably don't want to experiment during your first year of college.

What is your history? Have you carried heavy loads before and done well? (for example: my last year in HS I took 8 classes including 6 AP) If you've done it before successfully, and know what it takes, then you should be fine. But if you have no history of doing this, you probably don't want to experiment during your first year of college.

^ Agree with this. If you have a history of managing heavy course loads at once, go for it. It also depends on your school. At my undergrad, a lab section was like another mini-class with assignments, readings, and quizzes. At others, labs are more of an add-on that you just need to show up for.

I find difficult course loads easier to do well in than easy ones. My best semesters in terms of grades were those with the heaviest work-load, including 3 labs+research+work for pay. Having a lot to do every week put me in a strict work schedule. Surprisingly, I had more free time since I was very on top of getting my work done. When I had relatively little coursework I did a LOT more procrastinating, pseudo-working, and study-socializing, so the smaller amount of real work took a whole lot longer.

Reactions: 1 users
If you goal is to get the highest possible grades to get into medical school and have time to shadow, volunteer, gain leadership experience, etc. why would you risk it all your first semester? Keep the Chemistry and Bio, save Physics for second or third year.

Let it be known that I've handled 15-16 credit hours with ease. I do not need any math or humanities, just the core science with prerequisites. I'm not sure how they do labs here. And I work better under stress. I rather sit for 6hrs+ and do one paper than space it out throughout the week. Classes span from 9-1:30 with a 2 hr break between bio and chem. I think this gives me a decent amount of time to do homework, however, chem and physics labs would be back to back. I intend on doing shadowing/research during the summer as they do not offer lab or bio major courses then. This is the last semester of my psych degree(everything completed), and the beginning of my biology degree.

It depends on how well you can handle these classes. What I have found is that when I take many science classes in one semester (and I do consider physics to be both science and math), the classes tend to cross over and I learn the same thing two different places. Thus, I think it is actually easier. This semester I have 13 credit hours and it is the first time in my college experience that I have taken under 19.

I've realized this as well when I take only my psych classes I can remember the material better due to their overlapping concepts.

. This is the last semester of my psych degree(everything completed), and the beginning of my biology degree.
I'm not sure I understand. Are you a double major, or are you a new premed now starting to take the prereq courses? Why is it necessary to take these classes at once? Have you taken stats/calc or organic chem yet? How many semesters/years do you have left?

To answer your question, I took 2-3 prereq courses at once every semester until senior year, when it became all upper-divisions. So first it was Calc/bio/chem+lab, then 2nd year it was organic chem+lab/bio labs, then 3rd year biochem/physics+lab. I also took the recommended courses (genetics, stats, physiology), and all the required courses and electives for my major alongside these courses.

Point being, it is certainly possible to handle the coursework, especially if it less than 15 credits worth. However like others said, the thing you have to watch out for are labs. They are a pain to schedule and can give you really long days that drain your sanity. So if I were you, I would try to spread them out as much as possible (these courses have very few overlapping concepts). But if not possible to reschedule, it shouldn't be too hard.

To clarify... I have one semester,psych degree, left till my first degree funding is depleted. I am using that to fulfill my next degree, biology, so that I'm not a semester behind. I've had calculus before but the physics class is not cal based. I intend on 2.5 years of undergrad left. I've taken stats already and o chem has the gen chem 1/2 prerequisite. I figured physics with gen chem is easier than with o chem.

Are you taking only these classes? Then it's definitely not too much.

Of course labs are a pain in the ass (at my institution, physics ones would typically take 10h+), but they are mostly easy As if you put in the work. It'll be an opportunity to learn time management.

As far as I'm concerned the labs are only 2 hours max for physics. Considering I have no other electives to fill the area I think I'm going to go ahead and take the plunge.