Orders and First PCS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aau22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting residency at BAMC in June and wondering when we can expect to receive orders. Also curious if any of you guys who have done the military move a bunch of times have any tips to offer a first timer. Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

-Assuming you'll be driving to San Antonio, consider taking anything particularly valuable with you in a POV (e.g., Grandma's sterling silverware).

-Technically, you are supposed to let the packers box everything up. In reality, if you already have something boxed up, they're not going to un-pack and then re-pack it. Remember that, in general, you will box something up with greater care than they will.

-Watch what they pack. I've PCSed before to find my old garbage in a box.

-Be a stickler about annotating pre-existing damage on the manifest and specifying details for expensive items. It's not a TV; it's a 42" Panasonic color plasma HDTV. Reimbursement for lost and damaged goods is difficult enough already. Without the proper documentation, you're hosed.

-Provide lunch and have plenty of cold drinks on hand.

-I'm forgetting a ton of tips that I'm sure others will fill in. Also, if you're starting residency in June, then how can you be pre-medical?

Thanks for the tips! I am a fourth year..never updated my profile as I don't post often.

Members don't see this ad :)
- If you don't have a lot of stuff, consider doing a DITY or partial DITY move. Basically, a DITY move allows you to pack your own stuff and get paid the rates that the .mil pays movers. You get a uhaul or just a van, weight the vehicle, fill it with your crap, and then get paid for how much you move. Do research on this if you think its a viable option. You can make money on this. If you have a lot of stuff, than IMO doing a full move makes sense, because the opportunity cost of boxing your own crap becomes too high.

- Get advance travel. Do the paperwork before hand and have the .mil pay you before you move.

- Group any leave you have on the books with your proceed days that the .mil gives you for moving.

- like colbgw02 said, watch the movers like a hawk.

- Make sure to label all of your med books as your "professional library" - you get paid to move this stuff.

How do we go about getting advanced travel/pay? I'm PCSing to Hawaii and the housing situation is a huge pain in the ass. Nobody is willing to wait until I actually PCS and want me to sign and start paying on a lease in May. I still do not have any orders so I assume there is nothing I can do until I get them.

How do we go about getting advanced travel/pay? I'm PCSing to Hawaii and the housing situation is a huge pain in the ass. Nobody is willing to wait until I actually PCS and want me to sign and start paying on a lease in May. I still do not have any orders so I assume there is nothing I can do until I get them.
It's getting a little frustrating because we can't coordinate the move without orders.

It's getting a little frustrating because we can't coordinate the move without orders.

Yep, I know all this stuff I have to get done and can't do anything but twiddle my thumbs and think about it. I also don't know how I'm going to get any time off to actually get stuff done.

Have you heard when we should expect our orders? I've been hearing mid-April. I was tricked earlier this week when I got a FedEx from TAMC but it turned out to be just paperwork from HR.

totally agree that it has been frustrating. i did however receive a copy of my orders via email yesterday so can really get down to planning my move. i am army but hopefully all branches will have them out to you soon! anyone have recs on moving companies to use/avoid?

totally agree that it has been frustrating. i did however receive a copy of my orders via email yesterday so can really get down to planning my move. i am army but hopefully all branches will have them out to you soon! anyone have recs on moving companies to use/avoid?

Completely lame. TAMC is supposed to process orders first.

Who do we contact to coordinate/schedule the movers, is it the relocation office we are closest to? The militaryhomefront website is confusing. I have asked for a sponsor and am waiting to hear back. I am going to contact the relocation office at my destination when it is open tomorrow. I have a place to stay at my new location, I just want to know how to schedule people to come to my house and take my stuff to the new location. Any tips?

What's the RFO and how do you receive it? email or mail? I haven't heard anything from them other than the orientation packet.

It stands for "request for orders," it is basically an interim set of orders before you get the real thing. They are sent to your AKO e-mail.

It stands for "request for orders," it is basically an interim set of orders before you get the real thing. They are sent to your AKO e-mail.
Can we use the RFO to ship a car out of St Louis (to TAMC)? or do we have to wait for official orders?

I was told official orders only. Not really sure what the point of RFO is
OK, my good deed for the day -

Heads up for those headed to TAMC - contrary to what you will be told, you can ship TWO cars. They won't volunteer the info but I've had several friends who moved there and shipped the second car (space available). I haven't personally done it but heard it from too many different first hand sources for it not to be true. Push a bit and I think you can pull it off. You might however have to get the car to the West Coast.