Oregon State Animal Nutrition Online

Started by ckd816
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ckd816

Dick Vet c/o 2016
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone taken the Oregon State online Animal Nutrition course? I'm looking into taking one (either Purdue, OK State or Oregon) but I can't find opinions on the Oregon class. It starts in a little over 2 weeks so I need to decide quickly. If anyone has taken it, what did you think? And does anything have to be proctored? Thanks in advance! 🙂
 
email the prof to ask if it requires proctoring, many of the OSU distance/online classes do. OSU is relatively calm about proctors (supervisors can proctor) unlike Purdue, which was much more strict.

I took animal nutrition at Rutgers ($$$$) because it fit with my schedule (OSU doesn't offer it in spring) and I couldn't meet Purdue's proctoring requirements.
 
I haven't heard, but the schedule for the class doesn't look difficult at all.

I looked at ratemyprof website, lol, for opinions on the instructor, and most spoke rather highly of the professor.

I will be taking it online as well as another person on here 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took it last summer. It wasn't difficult at all, really. There is not proctoring, just the honor system for closed book quizzes. The structure is basically read from the book, look at some powerpoints, discuss as needed in the forums (no required posting that I remember), take a quiz on 1-3 chapters. The quizzes normally took less than 30 minutes. Let me know if you need more info.
 
I haven't heard, but the schedule for the class doesn't look difficult at all.

I looked at ratemyprof website, lol, for opinions on the instructor, and most spoke rather highly of the professor.

I will be taking it online as well as another person on here 🙂

I saw on the syllabus that there are only quizzes but no tests so it doesn't seem too bad. I couldn't find the schedule though... Maybe it's because I haven't registered yet. Would you mind PMing it to me or letting me know where to find it? Thanks again!
 
I took it last summer. It wasn't difficult at all, really. There is not proctoring, just the honor system for closed book quizzes. The structure is basically read from the book, look at some powerpoints, discuss as needed in the forums (no required posting that I remember), take a quiz on 1-3 chapters. The quizzes normally took less than 30 minutes. Let me know if you need more info.

That is awesome info... just what I was looking for. Thank you! 😀
 
I also took the course last summer. It was a good course. Pretty laid back, low stress, nothing proctored, you had at least a week to complete the readings (which weren't too long) and take a 10-15 question test. The grading was pretty easy, and the prof gave worksheets with questions to fill out while doing the reading, and they prepared you pretty well for the quizzes. I applied to Auburn, which requires the course, and Auburn had given me a list of schools from which they would accept the credit for that course. OSU was significantly cheaper than any other school on that list, which was the main reason I took it from them. But, having dealt with a lot of schools over the past few years, I can say that OSU was so nice to work with...didn't give me any trouble about proving that I met the pre-reqs for the course, everyone who I talked with while I was working out the registration process was EXTREMELY nice and helpful. So was the prof of the course. I'd definitely recommend it. And if you have any background in Biochem, it's an especially easy course. Good luck!
 
I definitely agree with mbliss... I'm taking it now because my coworker is going to take it online, and it fit my schedule for the year quite nicely. I didn't have to send in any transcripts or anything, just emailed the professor, then emailed the summer term people, and everyone was okay with it. It was the easiest and smoothest registration process I've encountered yet.

I will look for the syllabus and pm you with it... I haven't actually seen it, but my coworker did and was telling me about some of the details. She also said that there weren't any tests, just quizzes on the syllabus.
 
yay for pre-reqs! I feel like there are a million and a half of them!

Woot, my first online course 😱
 
Woot, my first online course 😱

FWIW, I love online classes... I've taken quite a few of them with no problems so far. Plus it's cool to know that people on this forum will be taking it too considering I've never done a course in another state before and I don't know anyone else who is taking it! 🙂
 
for those of you who have taken (or are currently taking) the nutrition course from oregon state, how long is the course? is it just one semester or is it longer? i know some are 6 months while others are a year, etc. just wondering. 🙂 i'm considering enrolling in this course since everyone has said such great things about it. trying to work it into my schedule.

EDIT: never mind, i called about this course - apparently this course is only offered online in the summer?? 🙁
 
Last edited: