Oregon State University COP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharm47

Just keep running...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread for those applying to OSU for Fall 2007. I just received the secondary via email. Anyone else applying to OSU? Questions, comments, and encouraging posts welcome here!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be the first and second to post here!

Anyone else who received the email with the secondary application: Were you able to download the prerequisite worksheet gracefully? I didn't receive it as an attachment, just part of the text of the email, so I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to complete it. Advice?

Pharm47 said:
I thought I'd start a thread for those applying to OSU for Fall 2007. I just received the secondary via email. Anyone else applying to OSU? Questions, comments, and encouraging posts welcome here!

I won't be applying for the PharmD program for another 3 or 4 years, but I wanted to post and say hello to all who do plan on doing his or her pre-pharmacy or PharmD studies at Oregon State. I heard it is an excellent school and I hope my first term there next month will be a good experience.

Good luck to everyone applying there!

Members don't see this ad :)
BeaverOSU said:
I won't be applying for the PharmD program for another 3 or 4 years, but I wanted to post and say hello to all who do plan on doing his or her pre-pharmacy or PharmD studies at Oregon State. I heard it is an excellent school and I hope my first term there next month will be a good experience.

Good luck to everyone applying there!

I also got an email from OSU, telling me to complete their supplemental application. The question asked is “Why do you want to attend the OSU College of Pharmacy?” I've never been to their campus or heard anything about them. I applied to OSU because there is no PCAT requirement and it's not that far from Cali. Can you guys tell me some good things about the school please? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

pharmd4me@510 said:
I also got an email from OSU, telling me to complete their supplemental application. The question asked is “Why do you want to attend the OSU College of Pharmacy?” I've never been to their campus or heard anything about them. I applied to OSU because there is no PCAT requirement and it's not that far from Cali. Can you guys tell me some good things about the school please? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

For me, it's my state school. Many members of my family are alumni (undergrad not pharm), so I was raised wearing "Future Beaver" t-shirts, and watching EVERY home football game televised. As far as the program goes, try reading up on their website to find unique aspects. One thing I really like is the third year spent on the hill at OHSU. It is a great hospital with a great medical school, so I could see that year as a chance to make interdisciplinary relationships. I'm still not sure what to focus on in my essay - but good luck!

Pharm47 said:
I'll be the first and second to post here!

Anyone else who received the email with the secondary application: Were you able to download the prerequisite worksheet gracefully? I didn't receive it as an attachment, just part of the text of the email, so I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to complete it. Advice?

I received a phone call from the admissions dept. and they said they would be sending a new one out by the end of this week in .pdf format.

jessicaeatworld said:
I received a phone call from the admissions dept. and they said they would be sending a new one out by the end of this week in .pdf format.

pdf format? So then we are supposed to fill it out and mail it back? It seems like it would be better in Excel, so we can attach it to the email along with our Supplemental essay.

Pharm47 said:
pdf format? So then we are supposed to fill it out and mail it back? It seems like it would be better in Excel, so we can attach it to the email along with our Supplemental essay.

You can fill in adobe files if they create them that way, which i think they will because they want you to email it.

I hate when you can't fill them it, like LECOMs...

I'll be flying into Portland in 2 and half weeks.. driving down to Florence to play Sand Pines Golf course. Then down to Coos Bay to start our golf outing. Down to Bandon Dunes for a round then back up to Coos Country Club. Then we make our drive up pass through Eugene and stop at Tokatee for a round of golf.

Then we'll spend a night in Sisters, then play Aspen Lakes...then we head to Bend.. where we play Widgi Creek, Lost Tracks, River's Edge and Sun River courses.

Then I come home tired.

To make this post related to OSU, Go Beavers, congrats on your NCAA baseball championship.

ZpackSux said:
I'll be flying into Portland in 2 and half weeks.. driving down to Florence to play Sand Pines Golf course. Then down to Coos Bay to start our golf outing. Down to Bandon Dunes for a round then back up to Coos Country Club. Then we make our drive up pass through Eugene and stop at Tokatee for a round of golf.

Then we'll spend a night in Sisters, then play Aspen Lakes...then we head to Bend.. where we play Widgi Creek, Lost Tracks, River's Edge and Sun River courses.

Then I come home tired.

To make this post related to OSU, Go Beavers, congrats on your NCAA baseball championship.

I'm playing in Sunriver next weekend. Mine will be fun...but your vacation sounds stellar!

Pharm47 said:
I'm playing in Sunriver next weekend. Mine will be fun...but your vacation sounds stellar!

It's an annual ritual!

pharmd4me@510 said:

Did you see anything about a Supplemental Application Fee? I thought it was $100, but I don't see anything in the email.

Pharm47 said:
Did you see anything about a Supplemental Application Fee? I thought it was $100, but I don't see anything in the email.

I didn't see anything about the fee either. I read somewhere that you pay the supplemental application fee at the interview, if you do get an interview

Members don't see this ad :)
pharmd4me@510 said:
I didn't see anything about the fee either. I read somewhere that you pay the supplemental application fee at the interview, if you do get an interview

I just emailed OSU to find out. Not that I'm especially anxious to part with $100, but I just want to be sure my application is complete. As soon as I get an answer, I'll post it here.

Pharm47 said:
I just emailed OSU to find out. Not that I'm especially anxious to part with $100, but I just want to be sure my application is complete. As soon as I get an answer, I'll post it here.

Last year it was $100 total, two different checks for $50, one to the COP and one to the school. from what I remember you dont turn in at least one of those checks until the interview.

Anyone hear back from OSU yet? When do they hold their first interview sessions?

*bump*

news? ED acceptances? info?

My email said not to send the App fee until the interview. My biggest prob is I have no sentimental, uplifting, tear inducing reasons to go. I have no idea why OSU should be any better than any other COP except for mundane things like location, environment etc. I don't know how appealing that will be to the powers that be on the review board.

Are you originally from Oregon? Do you have plans to stay in the area after graduating? If so, talk about how you want to serve the people of the state, and how studying at OSU will put you in a good situation to do so. That's just one idea...

Science GPA of 3.97, overall GPA of 3.89, Volunteer work in a pharmacy for over a year, research work in a biology lab through a Canadian government grant. What do I get?

"Unfortunately, the Admissions Committee has denied your application for admission to the professional pharmacy program for 2007. I am sorry to have to convey this unfavorable information, but I did want to inform you as soon as possible so that you can begin to plan accordingly. "

With no PCAT requirements, what else do they want? My liver? This is so f'ing pathetic. Honestly. I have emailed them to atleast let me know what areas I can work on, because I honestly don't see any reasons for their rejection.

Science GPA of 3.97, overall GPA of 3.89, Volunteer work in a pharmacy for over a year, research work in a biology lab through a Canadian government grant. What do I get?

"Unfortunately, the Admissions Committee has denied your application for admission to the professional pharmacy program for 2007. I am sorry to have to convey this unfavorable information, but I did want to inform you as soon as possible so that you can begin to plan accordingly. "

With no PCAT requirements, what else do they want? My liver? This is so f'ing pathetic. Honestly. I have emailed them to atleast let me know what areas I can work on, because I honestly don't see any reasons for their rejection.

How was your PS? Did it convey to the adcom that you're a passionate person and that you have the passion for the field of pharmacy?

How was your PS? Did it convey to the adcom that you're a passionate person and that you have the passion for the field of pharmacy?

I can PM it to you if you want. I didn't try to be too extravagant, but I don't think it was that bad a personal statement.

I can PM it to you if you want. I didn't try to be too extravagant, but I don't think it was that bad a personal statement.

That seems really strange to me. Are you a Canadian citizen? Does OSU accept international students?

That seems really strange to me. Are you a Canadian citizen? Does OSU accept international students?

I'm a Canadian permanent resident (soon-to-be citizen). And yes, they do accept international students. I did email them to ask for some sort of feedback on the application, so I'll post whatever they tell me here. What I don't get is how they can send out rejection letters even before the deadline has passed by. Don't they look at the total pool of applicants and then pick the best ones, or is it just random pickings out of a hat as they come along? I know I sound grouchy, but I really don't see how they could ignore my GPA, volunteering and research experience (specially since they don't require PCAT), and reject me based on a personal statement (which I really don't think was badly written, by the way).

I'm a Canadian permanent resident (soon-to-be citizen). And yes, they do accept international students. I did email them to ask for some sort of feedback on the application, so I'll post whatever they tell me here. What I don't get is how they can send out rejection letters even before the deadline has passed by. Don't they look at the total pool of applicants and then pick the best ones, or is it just random pickings out of a hat as they come along? I know I sound grouchy, but I really don't see how they could ignore my GPA, volunteering and research experience (specially since they don't require PCAT), and reject me based on a personal statement (which I really don't think was badly written, by the way).

Yeah, this is very strange. They are not even on rolling admissions, so I don't know why you are even rejected before the deadline

Yeah, this is very strange. They are not even on rolling admissions, so I don't know why you are even rejected before the deadline

Although, if you looked on the "received interview" thread, it looks like another person was rejected from OSU. So maybe they do rolling somewhat.

Z, had they already asked you for a secondary, or was this pre-secondary?

Although, if you looked on the "received interview" thread, it looks like another person was rejected from OSU. So maybe they do rolling somewhat.

Z, had they already asked you for a secondary, or was this pre-secondary?

Bunch of idiots at that school. Honest to God. They interpreted my full year courses on PharmCAS as half-year courses. I have emailed them to rectify the mistake, but let's see whether they do it or not. For your info Pharm47, I only received an email for a supplemental essay and then this rejection.

Bunch of idiots at that school. Honest to God. They interpreted my full year courses on PharmCAS as half-year courses. I have emailed them to rectify the mistake, but let's see whether they do it or not. For your info Pharm47, I only received an email for a supplemental essay and then this rejection.

Well hopefully they will recognize their mistake and give you the chance you deserve. Keep us updated!

Well hopefully they will recognize their mistake and give you the chance you deserve. Keep us updated!

Hopefully! Have you received anything from them yet? If you haven't, I bet you it's a good sign because they seem to love rejecting any individuals that are missing even a single requirement for admission.

Hopefully! Have you received anything from them yet? If you haven't, I bet you it's a good sign because they seem to love rejecting any individuals that are missing even a single requirement for admission.

Not yet. I sent in my supplmental essay that last week of August, and it's been all silent since then.

Not yet. I sent in my supplmental essay that last week of August, and it's been all silent since then.

Hi guys, I just got an account here. Isn't the supplimental essay for OSU due during interview? I just submitted my pharmcas for OSU, haven't gotten any reply yet.

There is a supplementary essay due before your application is complete. They should send you an email in the next couple of weeks with the essay question. Once you get the email, you have two weeks to complete the essay.

I think once you're offered an interview, there is a secondary "application" (basically just an application directly to OSU) along with the $100 fee.

I know that Oregon State does not accept certain sequences of physiology. At OSU they require a 400 level physiology series and not the 300 human A&P series. So while you have a great GPA, they might not have even looked at the app due to not all the right prereq's being finished? :confused:

I know that Oregon State does not accept certain sequences of physiology. At OSU they require a 400 level physiology series and not the 300 human A&P series. So while you have a great GPA, they might not have even looked at the app due to not all the right prereq's being finished? :confused:

Considering the overwhelming number of applications they receive, I can see a school being very strict about prerequisite completion. It's an easy way to cut down on the number of applications they must read.

Did you take A&P at OSU? I'm currently taking it at Portland State, and it is 300-level. I checked with the admissions committee, and they said it would satisfy the requirement. My advice would be to contact them via email.

I got my interview email yesterday (10/4) and and interview date of 10/13. I'm not sure why only 9 days notice, but I'll take what I get.

I've noticed everyone tends to ask, so stats: Science=3.49, Cumulative 3.57. No Pharm experience yet, though will have Pharm Tech license by spring. One lower division research project. No extracurricular to speak of but full-time student, full-time job, and wife and two kids. California Resident. That should cover the major stuff.

Early Decision app submitted day before due date, 8/31. Acknowledgement email/Supplemental request 9/11.
Submitted 9/24
Interview request 10/4
Interview date 10/13

I know it's lengthy, but should cover most FAQ's

It looks like they didnt look close enough, or maybe they assumed the GPA was too high for all those classes : ).

FYI for those who might wonder about the Physiology requirement. You must take either Biochem or Physiology before entrance, but the other can be taken in your first 2 years. I had my Biochem sequence completed, so I'll be taking the Physiology up there (if I get in). It's un

I got my interview email yesterday (10/4) and and interview date of 10/13. I'm not sure why only 9 days notice, but I'll take what I get.

I've noticed everyone tends to ask, so stats: Science=3.49, Cumulative 3.57. No Pharm experience yet, though will have Pharm Tech license by spring. One lower division research project. No extracurricular to speak of but full-time student, full-time job, and wife and two kids. California Resident. That should cover the major stuff.

Early Decision app submitted day before due date, 8/31. Acknowledgement email/Supplemental request 9/11.
Submitted 9/24
Interview request 10/4
Interview date 10/13

Congrats and good luck next week! Let us know how the interview goes. Also, if you are willing, updating the Interview Feedback pages would be extremely helpful for all of us Regular-Decision candidates!

Submitted 9/24
Interview request 10/4
Interview date 10/13

I wonder why I haven't got an interview yet. I submitted my application on 8/31 also. My Supplemental was submitted 2 weeks after that. I "think" i have good stats (above their average accepted gpa). Lots and lots of EC activities. Plenty of pharmacy experience, and currently a pharm tech. Oregon Resident. essays were carefully thought out, written, and edited by a writing professor.
:confused:

Considering the overwhelming number of applications they receive, I can see a school being very strict about prerequisite completion. It's an easy way to cut down on the number of applications they must read.

Did you take A&P at OSU? I'm currently taking it at Portland State, and it is 300-level. I checked with the admissions committee, and they said it would satisfy the requirement. My advice would be to contact them via email.

No, I'm taking the Biochemistry series instead. :cool: As said above, it's either biochem or physiology. Good luck to all.

Congrats and good luck next week! Let us know how the interview goes. Also, if you are willing, updating the Interview Feedback pages would be extremely helpful for all of us Regular-Decision candidates!

Interview went okay, posted feedback. I still don't know what happened with the tour. It was campus preview day, but nobody mentioned that fact in any correspondence I received, so I guess I won't get a tour until next year when I arrive on campus (trying to stay positive, no formal acceptance yet ; )

bumping so ED applicants that get in can post relevant info

Well, talk about a let down. I thought the interview went better than that, but I guess not. Any way. Things that arent available on the feedback page.
1. There was a timed writing sample "Should pharmacists be allowed to prescribe? Why/Why not"

2. There was a group exercise where we were supposed to analyze a situation where the Pharmacist goes out of town for a few weeks. Four students are left behind with 1 picked to be in charge. His friend (one of the other 4) starts showing up late and leaving early, receives complaints etc. Your supposed to discuss what is the problem, how to fix it, etc. Report is given by a member of your group using the STAR format. (I forget what it means, but I think I read it in FAQ's or somewhere on SDN.

I think that was about it. So if you're going in for an interview this may help (provided they don't change either.)

Well, talk about a let down. I thought the interview went better than that, but I guess not. Any way. Things that arent available on the feedback page.
1. There was a timed writing sample "Should pharmacists be allowed to prescribe? Why/Why not"

Don't feel let down! You may very well get accepted as part of the regular decision group! For undergraduate, I applied to an Ivy, got deferred to regular admissions, then got accepted later. It happens all the time!

That question is tough. I honestly don't know how I would answer it!

That question is tough. I honestly don't know how I would answer it![/QUOTE]

I stuck to three main points on the first one. Pharmacists aren't trained to diagnose symptoms, can't test for them, and don't have time to do either diagnosis or testing anyway due to consultations and other pharmacy related things. (Can you imagine the line at wal-mart if patients didn't have to see an MD to get meds prescribed?)

I don't know how accurate that is having never practiced, but it seemed logical.

The group exercise I think they were just looking for group dynamics anyway. Though the guy who reported from our group didn't do very well at all at explaining what we came up with.

Hi! How's everyone? I haven't sign on for a while. But I did turn in my secondary essay exactly two weeks ago. Anyone heard anything yet? I hope everyone's doing well.

Haven't heard. October 27 was the deadline for OSU to notify Early Decision applicants, so I'm hoping regular decision applicants will hear about interviews in the next few weeks. I'm not sure if they start interviewing before January, since their deadline is Dec 1.

so when will the OSU adcom's silence be broken?

Hey, how's everyone doing? I am still waiting for OSU. It's been two months and still haven't heard anything. Did anyone in the regular admission got an interview yet?