Oregon state Vet med

Started by ashilb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ashilb

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I will be applying to Vet schools in the next couple of cycle. I'm a california resident and UC Davis is too expensive for me, I was thinking about attending to Oregon state if I do get accepted there. I know the oos tuition is about the same as going to davis but after a year of living there I will apply as a instate. I was just wondering what you guys think about the OSU Vet school.
Thanks guys

Sent from my SPH-M580 using SDN Mobile
 
Are you married? Oregon does not allow you to apply for in-state residency after your first year.
 
No I'm not marrried. I thought if you find a job,filed your taxes and lived in oregon for about a year you can apply for residency in oregon?

Sent from my SPH-M580 using SDN Mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No - if you're a student attending classes more than 8 hours/week, you cannot gain residency in OR even if you get a job, file taxes, change car registration, etc. OR is very strict about students moving here just for in-state tuition, so you have to prove your main focus being here is not school by not attending for more than 8 hours a week. Your only option would be to live here and work for 12 months before acceptance. Sorry 🙁

EDIT: Just re-read your post and I may have misunderstood - not sure if you planned on applying as in-state after your first year of vet school or moving gaining residency, and then applying.If you choose to move and apply next cycle, do it soon. That will give you time to establish yourself and find a job and work for 12 months before the application is due. Job market is stinky up here (as it kind of is everywhere, I guess) so be prepared.

I am not a vet student, but I am an AnSci grad student doing a thesis that collaborates with the vet school. I'm taking some vet classes over there as well and enjoy the small class size and the professors I've had. Facilities are new and Corvallis is a good-sized town surrounded by farmland, so good small and large animal opportunities.
 
Last edited: