organic chem 1/2 summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mouthwash4hobo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any schools that offer organic chemistry 1 and 2 during the summer session?
My school offers organic 1 but it's ten weeks long and doesn't have a lab. I guess the lab is doubled during organic 2 during the fall or spring.

Just curious..:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any schools that offer organic chemistry 1 and 2 during the summer session?
My school offers organic 1 but it's ten weeks long and doesn't have a lab. I guess the lab is doubled during organic 2 during the fall or spring.

Just curious..:confused:
I know that Harvard offers an eight-week Organic Chemistry I-II sequence. That is probably as short as you are going to get, but be prepared to spend at least 40 or 50 hours a week on that, especially in the beginning to make sure you don't fall behind ever.

Why can't you just take Organic Chemistry at your school during the regular school year? The lab second semester, if doubled, will count just fine for med school applications.

Okay I just found a school that does this but um.. the tuition!!?

6 week Summer Session I and Summer Session II Courses

$3,203/cu $245/session*

Is cu per credit?!?! This is at UPenn.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay I just found a school that does this but um.. the tuition!!?

6 week Summer Session I and Summer Session II Courses

$3,203/cu $245/session*

Is cu per credit?!?! This is at UPenn.
"Tuition is charged per course unit (CU) unless otherwise indicated. Three semester hours are equivalent to 1 CU"

Calm down. Perhaps you could explain why you want definitely want to take the class over the summer?

Okay, well I guess I don't need to. I thought it would be helpful to have them taken during the summer, then take biochemistry during the fall and have the Spring semester to focus on studying for the MCAT.

I'm actually in the same boat as mouthwash.

What good programs are there? it's hard to find a complete list. I'd be willing to study in Boston, Miami, SF Bay area (Stanford, UCSF, Berkeley), Philadelphia, and LA area (USC, UCLA).

I see that harvard has an ochem course (based on what i read, class is 5000 plus another 3k for dorms + food). http://www.summer.harvard.edu/courses/chem.jsp

That seems like a lot, I see mention of berkeley and ucsf programs but no hard links.

Is there a link for that UPenn program?

Vanderbilt offers Orgo I in session A and Orgo II in session B. It is about $1,300 per credit though. So you could finish the entire sequence from June-early August but you'd be out $7800 plus housing/food.

I'm actually in the same boat as mouthwash.

What good programs are there? it's hard to find a complete list. I'd be willing to study in Boston, Miami, SF Bay area (Stanford, UCSF, Berkeley), Philadelphia, and LA area (USC, UCLA).

I see that harvard has an ochem course (based on what i read, class is 5000 plus another 3k for dorms + food). http://www.summer.harvard.edu/courses/chem.jsp

That seems like a lot, I see mention of berkeley and ucsf programs but no hard links.

Is there a link for that UPenn program?
Basically any major school will have OChem over the summer.

I'm not familiar with all of those areas, but Miami, you have UMiami; for Boston you have Boston University, Boston College, Harvard, MIT, and UMass, among others. Just take a look around at websites and see if you can find who will be teaching the courses. Look them up on RateMyProfessor if you want too.