Organic Chem reaction question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zzandroo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the general mechanism for hydrolysis of an ester bond from an organic compound with calcium carbonate? (CaCO3)

Members don't see this ad.

So you know it has to be base-catalyzed hydrolysis. Carbonate has a -2 charge, which will create hydroxide molecules.

Then it's a standard base-catalyzed addition-elimination rxn where the hydroxide displaces the alkoxide (leaving group).

So you know it has to be base-catalyzed hydrolysis. Carbonate has a -2 charge, which will create hydroxide molecules.

Then it's a standard base-catalyzed addition-elimination rxn where the hydroxide displaces the alkoxide (leaving group).

I'm a little confused because I'm not used to seeing +2 charges used as a base. Its supposed to create a salt, but I can't seem to relate where the calcium will bind. I'm too used to seeing base hydrolysis with sodium.

CaCo3 (s) ---- some dissociation ----> Ca^2+ (aq) + (CO_3)^2- (aq)

As with all salts, there is some degree of solvation of water. How much depends on the molar solubility of the salt in question.

Members don't see this ad :)
CaCo3 (s) ---- some dissociation ----> Ca^2+ (aq) + (CO_3)^2- (aq)

As with all salts, there is some degree of solvation of water. How much depends on the molar solubility of the salt in question.

can you help me with this question?
Write an equation describing the hydrolysis of one ester group in tannins by CaCO3

can you help me with this question?
Write an equation describing the hydrolysis of one ester group in tannins by CaCO3

When CaCO3 is present in water, you're going to form hydroxide ion (HO-) . This is what's going to do the hydrolysis, not the CaCO3.