Organic Chem reaction question

zzandroo

Oct 19, 2012
  1. Pre-Medical
    So you know it has to be base-catalyzed hydrolysis. Carbonate has a -2 charge, which will create hydroxide molecules.

Then it's a standard base-catalyzed addition-elimination rxn where the hydroxide displaces the alkoxide (leaving group).

I'm a little confused because I'm not used to seeing +2 charges used as a base. Its supposed to create a salt, but I can't seem to relate where the calcium will bind. I'm too used to seeing base hydrolysis with sodium.

About the Ads

zzandroo

Oct 19, 2012
    1. Pre-Medical
      CaCo3 (s) ---- some dissociation ----> Ca^2+ (aq) + (CO_3)^2- (aq)

As with all salts, there is some degree of solvation of water. How much depends on the molar solubility of the salt in question.

can you help me with this question?
      Write an equation describing the hydrolysis of one ester group in tannins by CaCO3

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.