Organic Chemistry Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

c00013

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips for Organic Chemistry Two? Any self help books, websites, study tips, anything that will help me achieve a good grade? I start the class in a week and am extremely nervous because while I UNDERSTOOD the concepts in Orgo 1, I didn't do well on the tests.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Organic Chemistry as a Second Language: Second Semester Topics

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone have any tips for Organic Chemistry Two? Any self help books, websites, study tips, anything that will help me achieve a good grade? I start the class in a week and am extremely nervous because while I UNDERSTOOD the concepts in Orgo 1, I didn't do well on the tests.

Thanks!

So what you're saying is, this is not an organic chemistry problem, it's a test taking problem?

The only way to get better is to put yourself in test scenarios more frequently. Google search organic chemistry exam questions pertaining to the topics you are studying and use those for practice once you have mastered the material.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I found that getting the hang of Orgo 2 was all about recognizing the patterns of mechanisms. Be on the lookout for things that happen over and over again in different reactions, e.g. opening and reforming carbonyls. And, of course, do as many practice problems as you can. Good luck!

Organic Chemistry as a Second Language: Second Semester Topics

This x 1000. I would also buy the first semester book and read that too. Orgo 2 is all application of basic, fundamental principles to biological pathways. If you understand the basics (note: truly understand and can reason through, not just memorize), you will be able to succeed in Orgo 2. Klein will get you there!! I liked Second Language so much that I bought his full textbook, and used it instead of my college textbook. It's one of the few textbooks that I am holding onto -- even used it to go over material for MCAT prep! I'm talking about this one: Amazon product

I practically taught myself Orgo 1 using Klein's books, and memorized very little. Orgo 1 sets the foundation for Orgo 2, so what I learned carried over, and every new topic that we learned in class I also read about in Klein's textbook. Got A's in both semesters, and was the highest-scorer in my second semester class. Seriously would have been a goner in both semesters without Klein's books.

If you have the means or can procure them, hire a tutor.

Many of my friends who did well in organic became tutors. I know when I tutored organic chemistry I gave significant discounts to fellow students on pell grants; so ask around if finances are an issue.

This might seem obvious, but many of my fellow students failed to prepare adequately for exams. As you know from taking ochem 1, a lot of time is needed to receive a good grade in ochem. You will receive the grade you deserve.

Also, believe in yourself. If you put the time in studying, feel confident about your work and rock the exams. I think a lot of people write ochem off as an automatic bad grade, but have confidence and give it your all. Best of luck!

Nearly everyone I knew who did just okay in orgo (around a B) understood the concepts but didn't test well for whatever reason (crunched for time, difficulty answering application problems, prepared poorly). Take practice tests

Fix whatever issues you have with test-taking because even 2nd language probably won't be enough to help you there