This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I hope you all are doing well. I'm a little new to this website so bare with me :p

Quick question about summer courses :)

So I heard Med Schools don't mind if you do a summer course. even if its a prereq because its so much info in such a short amount of time. Well, the college I go to has another campus not to far from mine, and its the honors college. I was gonna do Organic Chem 1 there over the summer. its six weeks and from what I've heard, its with THE BEST PROFESSOR EVER. I'll have a much higher chance at an A and it'll be Honors Credit. Also, you guys may think I should use my time to do ECs etc. but I still have other stuff planned over the summer. I do lifeguarding and I shadow a physician + I'm running for leadership positions in clubs and stuff too. So EC's are not a problem. I am a freshman btw. Entering sophomore year this FALL. I figured I would be doing O Chem II this Fall (professor for that at my campus is really great) and I'd be ahead. What do you guys think? Do Med Schools frown upon summer courses? Note: It is NOT DONE AT A CC. It is just a different CAMPUS than mine, because I want the Honors Credit. Also you may think that I wouldn't get the Honors Credit for O Chem II, but I would because the campus I attend does offer it in Honors Credit. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated thank you all. I am very keen on taking this over the summer but would medical schools frown? Also, I don't think I'll get a B I'm sure it'll be an A because the professor is very very good. Please any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all once again.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Take it, it's fine. Just make sure you get that A!

I'm actually taking gen chem II this summer as I'm trying to get ahead. It was recommended by the pre-med advisor at my university so I assume she knows what she's talking about.

the official word is no one will care

http://www.upstate.edu/com/admissions/faqs.php
"Applicants should avoid taking more than one or two prerequisite science courses during the summer and avoid taking them at community colleges."
Seems like taking 1 or 2 pre-reqs during summer is okay- in the eyes of adcom.
But so far, I've read that you shouldn't, because it's much harder.
That's why I'm not taking Ochem 1 this summer... (I'm scared)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I suppose it is harder. But the professor is my highest chance at an A. The professors at my campus are all terrible

Take it, it's fine. Just make sure you get that A!

I'm actually taking gen chem II this summer as I'm trying to get ahead. It was recommended by the pre-med advisor at my university so I assume she knows what she's talking about.

Exactly. I gotta get that A. Gen Chem II won't be too bad over the summer lol

Hey everyone! I hope you all are doing well. I'm a little new to this website so bare with me :p

So I heard Med Schools don't mind if you do a summer course. even if its a prereq because its so much info in such a short amount of time. Well, the college I go to has another campus not to far from mine, and its the honors college. I was gonna do Organic Chem 1 there over the summer. its six weeks and from what I've heard, its with THE BEST PROFESSOR EVER. I'll have a much higher chance at an A and it'll be Honors Credit. Also, you guys may think I should use my time to do ECs etc. but I still have other stuff planned over the summer. I do lifeguarding and I shadow a physician + I'm running for leadership positions in clubs and stuff too. So EC's are not a problem. I am a freshman btw. Entering sophomore year this FALL. I figured I would be doing O Chem II this Fall (professor for that at my campus is really great) and I'd be ahead. What do you guys think? Do Med Schools frown upon summer courses? Note: It is NOT DONE AT A CC. It is just a different CAMPUS than mine, because I want the Honors Credit. Also you may think that I wouldn't get the Honors Credit for O Chem II, but I would because the campus I attend does offer it in Honors Credit. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated thank you all. I am very keen on taking this over the summer but would medical schools frown? Also, I don't think I'll get a B I'm sure it'll be an A because the professor is very very good. Please any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all once again.
Condensing an entire semester of organic chemistry into six weeks is going to be a lot of work, no matter how great the professor is. That is a very short summer session. Make sure you have the time to commit to it. I have many friends that tried to take organic over the summer who ended up with Bs and Cs because it is so fast paced. Do you happen to know anyone who has taken this class in the summer before with this professor? Best way to gauge it.

If you get an A med schools should not care.

Schools definitely aren't too picky about if you took your courses over the summer or not, I guess I wouldn't make a habit of it though. To echo what has already been said a bit, even if the professor is tremendous, squeezing an entire semester's worth of Orgo into six weeks is going to be quite a challenge for you, do not take it lightly! I found that Orgo 1 was a lot more difficult that Orgo 2 because it's introducing you to a new way to think about chemistry.

Another point: While you should always try to do your best in courses, don't worry if you don't get that A sometimes, you don't need a perfect 4.0 haha. Heck, I got a solid B in my Orgo 1 class and only one school out of seven ever made a comment about it.

I am sure that you will be fine, just prepare to get to work over the summer.

Condensing an entire semester of organic chemistry into six weeks is going to be a lot of work, no matter how great the professor is. That is a very short summer session. Make sure you have the time to commit to it. I have many friends that tried to take organic over the summer who ended up with Bs and Cs because it is so fast paced. Do you happen to know anyone who has taken this class in the summer before with this professor? Best way to gauge it.

If you get an A med schools should not care.

Yeah there's this senior that's been giving me advice I don't think he's trying to screw me over. The grading curve and criteria is REALLY good. The professor gives you the textbook and I checked rate my professors and all his tests come out of the book I understand that it is difficult but still doable. He told me that's it's really worth it. Also, it's like an 82-89 is an A- like cmon... Lmao

I ud
Schools definitely aren't too picky about if you took your courses over the summer or not, I guess I wouldn't make a habit of it though. To echo what has already been said a bit, even if the professor is tremendous, squeezing an entire semester's worth of Orgo into six weeks is going to be quite a challenge for you, do not take it lightly! I found that Orgo 1 was a lot more difficult that Orgo 2 because it's introducing you to a new way to think about chemistry.

Another point: While you should always try to do your best in courses, don't worry if you don't get that A sometimes, you don't need a perfect 4.0 haha. Heck, I got a solid B in my Orgo 1 class and only one school out of seven ever made a comment about it.

I am sure that you will be fine, just prepare to get to work over the summer.

I understand. I'm willing to work nonstop for it. I was gonna start with some prep in a month or so. I won't have other serious commitments during organic Chem 1. I understand it's a very difficult course. What about it is so difficult if you don't mind explaining?

FWIW, I had friends in undergrad who did this strategically. Cornell's science courses are cut throat (seriously, all the pre-vets are trying to get into Cornell Veterinary and the level of competition is seriously unhealthy...and I like academic competition) so friends would take science classes at Harvard over the summer. The thought was, how could an ad com accuse you of ducking tough Cornell weeder courses if you took them at Harvard? It worked for all I knew that did it. They got higher grades in the Harvard courses and all of them are now doctors.

EOD, GPA is king...do whatever you need to do to protect it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I understand. I'm willing to work nonstop for it. I was gonna start with some prep in a month or so. I won't have other serious commitments during organic Chem 1. I understand it's a very difficult course. What about it is so difficult if you don't mind explaining?

The way that we were taught it, Orgo 1 primarily consisted of cramming different and unrelated reactions into our heads and spitting them back out on the exam, some profs are really heavy on synthesis and the difficulty changes depending on how many steps they want on the exam. It's just a lot of information to keep locked in your head, and the application of chemical problem-solving is very different from Gen Chem, so it proves itself to be a difficult course for a lot of people.

The way that we were taught it, Orgo 1 primarily consisted of cramming different and unrelated reactions into our heads and spitting them back out on the exam, some profs are really heavy on synthesis and the difficulty changes depending on how many steps they want on the exam. It's just a lot of information to keep locked in your head, and the application of chemical problem-solving is very different from Gen Chem, so it proves itself to be a difficult course for a lot of people.

I see. Yeah I'm most likely going to take it in the summer though. Any prep books you would recommend? I was thinking of reviewing them before starting the course.

I see. Yeah I'm most likely going to take it in the summer though. Any prep books you would recommend? I was thinking of reviewing them before starting the course.

I just went into Orgo 1 blind, so I don't really have any prep-book material on-hand that I could recommend for ya. If you can get a hold of someone's Kaplan MCAT Orgo books that might be nice, they generally did good overviews of topics that might help you get your feet wet. They are written from a standpoint that it is review rather than pre-course prepping though, so that might change things. I'm sure you will do great, either way!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just went into Orgo 1 blind, so I don't really have any prep-book material on-hand that I could recommend for ya. If you can get a hold of someone's Kaplan MCAT Orgo books that might be nice, they generally did good overviews of topics that might help you get your feet wet. They are written from a standpoint that it is review rather than pre-course prepping though, so that might change things. I'm sure you will do great, either way!

Nice! THTS perfect because I already have an organic Chem Kaplan MCAT prep book. Thanks!!

I recommend doing the exercises in Orgo as a Second Language before you start the course!

Depends. In general, schools do NOT like you skipping important science pre-reqs to do them in the summer, because summer is often graded less harshly (though yes, sometimes it is obviously more difficult).

Just take it during the school year like everyone else. If Orgo is going to be that big of a problem for you, I have some bad news about the rigor of medical school classes....

Also most people do not care whatsoever (or very little) if a class is honors or not. They only care if you have completed some significant capstone or thesis project associated with the honors program.

Depends. In general, schools do NOT like you skipping important science pre-reqs to do them in the summer, because summer is often graded less harshly (though yes, sometimes it is obviously more difficult).

Just take it during the school year like everyone else. If Orgo is going to be that big of a problem for you, I have some bad news about the rigor of medical school classes....

Also most people do not care whatsoever (or very little) if a class is honors or not. They only care if you have completed some significant capstone or thesis project associated with the honors program.

I understand Orgo is going to be a difficult course. And I know that it is going to be rigorous. I never talked about being worried about it being "difficult", nor was I saying that it is going to "be a big problem" for me. I am also aware of the rigor of medical school as well as how difficult Organic is going to be. I just want to make sure I am prepared for when I do take the course just like anyone else. In fact, I read that many medical schools are rather indifferent as long as you don't take ALL your pre reqs during the summer. I'm aware that medical schools are very rigorous... In addition to this, taking the courses in Honors also allows me to participate in the future, in research projects and Honors Thesis'... I know a lot of different students that have taken Organic Chem in the summer as well as with the professor I am talking about and have done well.

I took orgo I and II back to back one summer. It was definitely challenging, but treat it like a full time job and you'll be fine. I did it out of necessity (I was a non-STEM major and simply could not fit it in otherwise), and for the record it has never come up at any of my interviews. Just do well and don't make a habit of taking all of your science courses over the summer.

I took orgo I and II back to back one summer. It was definitely challenging, but treat it like a full time job and you'll be fine. I did it out of necessity (I was a non-STEM major and simply could not fit it in otherwise), and for the record it has never come up at any of my interviews. Just do well and don't make a habit of taking all of your science courses over the summer.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. Thanks for the advice. Yeah I figured it wouldn't come up in interviews. I'm not gonna take ALL of them during the summer. I was just thinking O Chem 1 right now because it has the best professor.

No problem at all. In fact, summer courses are typically more difficult because they're so temporally compressed. So if you take O-Chem in 6 weeks and do well, that won't be regarded negatively. I did O-Chem 2 over the summer, and nobody said a peep when I was applying for med schools. As you said...so long as you're not intentionally taking it at a CC or somewhere that's obviously going to give you a grade inflation advantage--which it doesn't sound like you are (at least not entirely).

No problem at all. In fact, summer courses are typically more difficult because they're so temporally compressed. So if you take O-Chem in 6 weeks and do well, that won't be regarded negatively. I did O-Chem 2 over the summer, and nobody said a peep when I was applying for med schools. As you said...so long as you're not intentionally taking it at a CC or somewhere that's obviously going to give you a grade inflation advantage--which it doesn't sound like you are (at least not entirely).

No I am not taking it at a CC. I will be taking it at the Honors College version of my current college. I'm really excited to take it. It's definitely what I am going to be doing. Thanks.

I understand Orgo is going to be a difficult course. And I know that it is going to be rigorous. I never talked about being worried about it being "difficult", nor was I saying that it is going to "be a big problem" for me. I am also aware of the rigor of medical school as well as how difficult Organic is going to be. I just want to make sure I am prepared for when I do take the course just like anyone else. In fact, I read that many medical schools are rather indifferent as long as you don't take ALL your pre reqs during the summer. I'm aware that medical schools are very rigorous... In addition to this, taking the courses in Honors also allows me to participate in the future, in research projects and Honors Thesis'... I know a lot of different students that have taken Organic Chem in the summer as well as with the professor I am talking about and have done well.
Just making sure you're on the right page!

Will you have to work that summer?

Just making sure you're on the right page!

Will you have to work that summer?

Nope. I will not be working this summer. My SOLE FOCUS will be on Organic Chem 1. Sorry if I came off a little bit rude. It was in no way my intention. I appreciate your help and your advice though. Very insightful. Thank you so much.

Nope. I will not be working this summer. My SOLE FOCUS will be on Organic Chem 1. Sorry if I came off a little bit rude. It was in no way my intention. I appreciate your help and your advice though. Very insightful. Thank you so much.
No probs, it's SDN. I come off as curt myself when in a hurry.

Should be good to pass then!

Exactly. I gotta get that A. Gen Chem II won't be too bad over the summer lol

I actually ended up taking both Gen Chem II and Organic I during the same summer session. (5 week back to back classes). It was brutal but I managed A’s in both.

I actually ended up taking both Gen Chem II and Organic I during the same summer session. (5 week back to back classes). It was brutal but I managed A’s in both.

wow. congrats. that's really great!!