Organic Chemistry Retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treadlightlyplease

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys so a few years ago I took Ochem 1 and Ochem 2 at a certain community college and earned a C and D. Each were 5 semester units.

Now I am retaking Ochem 1, also 5 units, but have noticed Ochem 2 is offered at 4 units with a seperate lab of 2 units. Will the Ochem 1 replace the original grade? If i take Ochem 2 at a CC that offers it at 5 like the original grade, will it be a problem if parts of the sequence are taken at different institutions?

Members don't see this ad.

Your best bet is to contact AACOMAS about that one. They would be the ones who would give the final thumbs up or thumbs down on whether or not the course would count. I would shoot them an email and give the specifics of your situation as well as the course descriptions. Keep bugging them until you get a definitive answer. They are usually very fast and helpful, but sometimes they can be kind of vague, it helps to get a concrete YES or NO.

Agree with Awesome Sauceome. Is it the same school? if so, that is strange that it would change.

taking organic I at one school and organic II at another probably won't be a big deal to schools or AACOMAS. but if the teacher at school 2 teaches significantly differently, you may be at a disadvantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
that happened to me with a gen chem class. it was a 3 credit lec and 2 credit lab, and i tried to replace it with a 5 credit combined lec/lab class and got the kibosh. really annoying and significantly lowered the GPA i thought i would have

that happened to me with a gen chem class. it was a 3 credit lec and 2 credit lab, and i tried to replace it with a 5 credit combined lec/lab class and got the kibosh. really annoying and significantly lowered the GPA i thought i would have
i could kind of understand that. idk if OP's are including labs, etc though. i know that the labs at my UG were all either 0 or 1 credit hours and all the straight lectures were 3 credit hours. although we had some combined courses that were 5. and upper division courses without labs were 4.

I was in a similar situation and emailed AACOMAS about a class I took that was 4,0 credits and the place I'm retaking it at offers the lab and lecture as 3,1. The lady who emailed me back said this:

Yes, the 3 credit lecture + 1 credit lab can replace the original 4 credit course. In order to list this in our system, we will most likely break the first time that you took the class up into a 3 credit lecture and one credit lab. This will not affect your GPA but will allow us to classify both of the components as repeats.

She also said that as long as the total credits are the the same amount or more than the original then they would count. But I think emailing them the specifics on class descriptions and the issue would be your best bet.