Organic Chemistry (Summer semester)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medShox

pre-med
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about taking organic chemistry at a local state school this summer just to prepare myself for organic at my school. I still have a lot of money left from scholarships, so money is not the problem. I just want to learn the concept ahead of time, and do really well in o.chem during the fall semester. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm thinking about taking organic chemistry at a local state school this summer just to prepare myself for organic at my school. I still have a lot of money left from scholarships, so money is not the problem. I just want to learn the concept ahead of time, and do really well in o.chem during the fall semester. What do you guys think?

What do we think about taking it? Go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
What will medical school think of this? Will this count against me?

They won't care - won't count against you. Unless it's a community college, it's not a big deal.

If you don't want both grades to count then audit the class when you take it over the summer, otherwise both grades will count towards your gpa and they will wonder why you repeated the class.

You might also be able to convince the prof to let you sit in for free if you don't care about getting tests graded and whatnot...
if the class is large enough you could probably do this without even asking as no one would notice an additional person.

If you don't want both grades to count then audit the class when you take it over the summer, otherwise both grades will count towards your gpa and they will wonder why you repeated the class.

You might also be able to convince the prof to let you sit in for free if you don't care about getting tests graded and whatnot...
if the class is large enough you could probably do this without even asking as no one would notice an additional person.

I agree with this. Don't take the class at a state school only to take it again at your school. Just audit it if you want to learn the info and don't want to read the material independently.

I agree with this. Don't take the class at a state school only to take it again at your school. Just audit it if you want to learn the info and don't want to read the material independently.

I will probably take the class audited or ask the professor if I can sit in the lecture. It won't ever show up on my transcript when applying for medical school if I don't transfer the credit to my university right?

I will probably take the class audited or ask the professor if I can sit in the lecture. It won't ever show up on my transcript when applying for medical school if I don't transfer the credit to my university right?

If you audit the class, it won't show up anywhere (as far as I know). If you actually take the course, you need to submit the grade and transcript to AMCAS, whether or not your university takes the credit.

Are you're classes that hard in the fall? Why waste your time taking a class twice? Get it out of the way and move on. Or take the summer off and study the other parts of the MCAT. Volunteer in a clinic setting or shadow some doctors. There are a lot of good ways to beef up a med school application out there.

However, if you are really that scared of this class, I agree with a lot of these other posters. If it's a large class, just go to the lectures and follow along or audit the class.

Im going to take Organic this summer and I havent heard or read of any ill effects of doing so unless its at an easier school