1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Organic Chemistry

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by J.opt, Apr 9, 2004.

1. J.opt

7+ Year Member

My final exam on my Org. Chem II class will be a comprehensive standardized test prepared by the ACS, and I thought that it would be good practice for the OAT.
    There?s gotta be thousands of different reactions and mechanisms. How did you study so much stuff?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Guardian of Justice
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Although OChem has a lot of mechanisms, OAT only tests you on a limited number of them. Here is what they cover on the OChem section:

Organic Chemistry: Mechanism (Energetics, Structure, and Stability of Intermediates) - SN1, SN2, elimination, addition, free radical, and substitution mechanisms

Chemical and Physical Properties of Molecules and Organic Analysis - inter and intra molecular forces, separation, introductory infrared spectroscopy, 1HNMR spectroscopy, 13CNMR, chemical identification, stability, solubility, and polarity

Stereochemistry - conforma?tional analysis, optical activity, chirality, chiral centers, planes of symmetry, enantiomers, diastereomers, and meso compounds

Nomenclature - IUPAC rules, and functional groups in molecules

Individual Reactions of the Major Functional Groups and Combinations of Reactions to Synthesize Compounds

Acid-Base Chemistry - resonance effects, inductive results, and prediction of products and equilibria

Aromatics and Bonding - concept of aromaticity, resonance, atomic orbitals, molecular orbitals, hybridization, bond angles, and bond lengths.

If you want the complete listing of ALL topics that are covered in OAT you can find it here:

https://www.ada.org/oat/oat2003.doc

4. J.opt

7+ Year Member

Cool, thanks :)