Organic II substitution with biochemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eremba

MS3
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which schools allow one semester of biochemistry to be substituted for the 2nd semester of organic II?

I know DMU doesn't even require a 2nd sem of organic and PNWU, UNE, RVUCOM, and Touro Nevada are Ones I have found that sub, but PNWU is instate heavy and UNE and Touro are not ideal locations for me..but not sure of any others???

Members don't see this ad.

In addition, I will take Ochem II if I must....but I'd like to not have to. :)

Does anyone know which schools allow one semester of biochemistry to be substituted for the 2nd semester of organic II?

I know DMU doesn't even require a 2nd sem of organic and PNWU, UNE, RVUCOM, and Touro Nevada are Ones I have found that sub, but PNWU is instate heavy and UNE and Touro are not ideal locations for me..but not sure of any others???

University of New England. I think it's stupid though it should just be two semesters of organic for all the osteopathic schools. That or get rid of the organic requirement all together and replace it with biochemistry

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, yes it is dumb....I don't understand why requirements aren't standardized for all schools...but it is what it is, I guess.

I had this question and called about 5 of the DO schools I was interested in (as well as some MD schools) and asked them if I could take 1 semester Biochem instead of Ochem II. All said YES. What I'll be curious about is labs. My ochem 1 lab was 2 credits so with 3 credits Ochem 1 lecture and 3 credits Biochem I'll have the 8 credits 'ochem', but not a lab for the 2nd course. We'll see how that pans out.

My Organic 1 Lab was 2 credits and each Organic lecture was 3 credits for a total of 8 credits.

It's acceptable as long as lab is included somewhere within the 8 credits.

The only reason I took Organic 2 Lecture in addition to Biochem was because Biochem builds on Organic 2 (carbonyl chemistry, amino acids, etc.)

Plus Carbonyl chem is one of the MCAT favorites.

I recommend taking Organic Chemistry II simply because its possible it could take up a rather Organic-heavy BS section on the MCAT. I studied for the MCAT for many many months, emphasizing Organic Chem the least of my sciences, pretty much expecting that the Organic section would be rather small...nope. Furthermore, I had quite a bit of Organic II on my test. If I didn't take Organic II in college, my current situation would be very different.

Most of the organic on the MCAT is organic 2, but most of the time you can infer the answer from the passage. I took my MCAT between organic 1 and organic 2 in January (just looked over some reactions and NMR) and got a 12 in the BS section (and I know that the questions I missed were not organic).

But I guess I should preface my advice with the fact that organic came pretty naturally to me. I hated gen chem, but organic just seemed to click very well and very quickly.

I had no Orgo 2. I actually had hardly any Orgo. Maybe a NMR question. Biochem what very helpful.

Oh, and msucom told me that they want 16 credits with 3 being biochem. So if you did 8 of gen, 4 of Orgo 1 and 4 of biochem? There you go. But you narrow your options for schools.

I called all the schools I applied to and only KCOM is requiring me to have ochem II before matriculation (if I am even accepted)....

And I got an A in Ochem I no issues...I just don't want to go back for one class as I just graduated with my BS....

Which schools are not requiring you to have ochem 2 before matriculation? I have 2 quarters of ochem but need to retake the 3rd, not sure how to address this

Which schools are not requiring you to have ochem 2 before matriculation? I have 2 quarters of ochem but need to retake the 3rd, not sure how to address this

DMU only requires 4 semester hours of Ochem, 3 hours of Biochem, the Touro schools will allow substitution of 4 hours of Biochem, RVU does also, and UNE (it is pretty regional, though...) I will have to take Ochem II for KCOM, and KCUMB if they are so inclined to give me an acceptance.

Great, thanks for the reply. So, to be clear, schools will still interview etc. despite the course not being completed yet? So long as it is completed prior to matriculation right? Are you stating it as a "planned/in progress" on your application?

Great, thanks for the reply. So, to be clear, schools will still interview etc. despite the course not being completed yet? So long as it is completed prior to matriculation right? Are you stating it as a "planned/in progress" on your application?

Yes, schools will interview without it as long as you have the verified grade submitted by matriculation if accepted. I had a couple friends apply way before they had all their pre-reqs done and got acceptances....you just have to send in the verified grades on transcripts once the classes are completed to seal the deal, so to speak.... :)

I did not add OChem II as "planned/in progress" as I have no registered to take it anywhere yet. I will take it if I need to..... really hoping for an interview and acceptance to DMU, though.... :luck:

Yes, schools will interview without it as long as you have the verified grade submitted by matriculation if accepted. I had a couple friends apply way before they had all their pre-reqs done and got acceptances....you just have to send in the verified grades on transcripts once the classes are completed to seal the deal, so to speak.... :)

I did not add OChem II as "planned/in progress" as I have no registered to take it anywhere yet. I will take it if I need to..... really hoping for an interview and acceptance to DMU, though.... :luck:

Thanks again for your responses. I definitely hope you get that interview and acceptance at DMU as well. How does your application look otherwise? Good luck :) It is such a process!