Organic Odyssey question - Gringards - pg 337

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mrhyde

Becoming Dr. Jekyll
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Page. 337 , number 5. I got the answer right but, isent this written incorrectly? Because if Gringards is being used then shouldent the H+ step be numbered since it only happens correctly in Aprotic solvents: example: 1)R-MgCl / 2) H+

-- Or does having two arrows imply a totally different step?
I want to know how to read it correctly because I feel they could give a question testing your knowledge on Gringards happening in Aprotic vs Protic so the numbering is important.

- On the DAT do they number steps? or do they just do separate arrows like in this question?

Members don't see this ad.

1) Page. 337 , number 5. I got the answer right but, isent this written incorrectly? Because if Gringards is being used then shouldent the H+ step be numbered since it only happens correctly in Aprotic solvents: example: 1)R-MgCl / 2) H+

-- Or does having two arrows imply a totally different step?
I want to know how to read it correctly because I feel they could give a question testing your knowledge on Gringards happening in Aprotic vs Protic so the numbering is important.

- On the DAT do they number steps? or do they just do separate arrows like in this question?

Each arrow implies that reagent is added in the next step, just like saying 1. Ch3MgCl/2.H3O+