Orgo 2 and Biochem..AT THE SAME TIME?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vhle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took orgo chem 2 and lab over the summer. I've heard horror stories about lab but since i wasn't working or anything i figured I'd be safe. I ended up passing lab with a B (thank you lab gods.) and getting a D+ in orgo lecture. It sucks that I got the D+...I understand the concept just a bad test taker and the man had only 2 exams in his class for all the grades compounded with the fact that he had the thicker russian accent EVER. I guess I was a goner and should have read the signs -.- ANYHOW
just wanted to hear some opinions..retaking orgo 2 lecture and biochem 1 lecture at the same time; probably not the most brilliant idea or worth it just to "be on schedule" ?

Members don't see this ad.

I took orgo chem 2 and lab over the summer. I've heard horror stories about lab but since i wasn't working or anything i figured I'd be safe. I ended up passing lab with a B (thank you lab gods.) and getting a D+ in orgo lecture. It sucks that I got the D+...I understand the concept just a bad test taker and the man had only 2 exams in his class for all the grades compounded with the fact that he had the thicker russian accent EVER. I guess I was a goner and should have read the signs -.- ANYHOW
just wanted to hear some opinions..retaking orgo 2 lecture and biochem 1 lecture at the same time; probably not the most brilliant idea or worth it just to "be on schedule" ?

It's definitely doable, especially since you have just taken orgo 2 in the summer. A lot of material should still be in your head (I hope) since you said you understood the concept. I took orgo 2 and biochemistry 2 in the same semester and came out just fine. Manage your time well and you'll be good.

No offense intended, but you took one class, weren't working, understood the concepts, and got a D+?

You might want to figure out how that happened before planning the retake.

Members don't see this ad :)

Just imagine, Gross Anatomy, Histology and Cell Biology, Medical Biochem, and Bioethics, all at the same time!

If you complain about this courseload how will you survive med school?

Bad test taker? Medical students and physicians are the most examined population, professionally. I suggest you get better at it, and fast! (What about that MCAT?)

"Thicker Russian accent" is infinitely preferable to the Indian lecturers (no offense intended, I have an amazing Asian fob accent.)

Don't be a little baby.

Seriously, don't be a *****.

I took Orgo II + Lab, Cellular and Molecular Biology + Lab, Physics II + Lab, plus a theology course one semester.

If you can't handle taking two sciences courses at once then GTFO and do some easy profession.

No offense intended, but you took one class, weren't working, understood the concepts, and got a D+?

I took Orgo II + Lab, Cellular and Molecular Biology + Lab, Physics II + Lab, plus a theology course one semester.

If you can't handle taking two sciences courses at once then GTFO and do some easy profession.

These.

It's definitely doable, especially since you have just taken orgo 2 in the summer. A lot of material should still be in your head (I hope) since you said you understood the concept. I took orgo 2 and biochemistry 2 in the same semester and came out just fine. Manage your time well and you'll be good.

Thanks yours is the only NORMAL HUMAN reply.

Reactions: 1 user

If you can't handle normal communication skills maybe YOU should GTFO and do something where you don't have to deal with human contact. and you can't help but BRAG about how YOU seemed to handle an intense load doesn't make it okay for you to answer others like that. I wasn't COMPLAINING. I was wondering how the course load would be like. but since you replied anyhow. THANKS.

no offense intended, but you took one class, weren't working, understood the concepts, and got a d+?

+1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

you really felt my reply wasn't fair?

I wasn't complaining i just wanted to know how the course load was going to be like. and so felt like your reply and the one that thought I should think about how that happened before retaking; were the fairest comments.

Members don't see this ad :)

= complaining

I'm taking orgo 2 + biochem 1 next semester as well, along with physics 2 lab, orgo lab, and a history course. Not worried, since it's a light course load. You'll be fine.

OP, you admitted this is probably not the most brilliant idea for you; then there's your answer! First off, you need to figure out why you did so poorly in orgo 2 and I'm willing to bet your professors accent isn't the reason. Address those problems, do well when you retake and then move on to biochem. Isn't orgo 2 a prereq for biochem anyways? Don't listen to everyone here telling you they took 4-5 hard science classes and made A's in all of them. You need to do what is best for you! Good luck!

Biochem is more organic chem 1 based than anything.
To answer your question: Taking ochem2 and biochem is definitely doable. I think if you repeat and change your study skills for ochem, you should be fine. Even if you understand the material, (if you haven't been already) you should work through problems on your own. Good luck :)

OP, you admitted this is probably not the most brilliant idea for you; then there's your answer! First off, you need to figure out why you did so poorly in orgo 2 and I'm willing to bet your professors accent isn't the reason. Address those problems, do well when you retake and then move on to biochem. Isn't orgo 2 a prereq for biochem anyways? Don't listen to everyone here telling you they took 4-5 hard science classes and made A's in all of them. You need to do what is best for you! Good luck!
This is mostly good advice, and if OP addresses his problems and is able to do well in the future then that is great for him.

That said, there is a difference between taking 4-5 hard science classes simultaneously and 2 sophomore level science classes simultaneously. If 2 sophomore level classes is really too much for OP to handle, then how will he be able to handle medical school?

He can't unless he changes his learning/study habits.

That said, there is a difference between taking 4-5 hard science classes simultaneously and 2 sophomore level science classes simultaneously. If 2 sophomore level classes is really too much for OP to handle, then how will he be able to handle medical school?

Biochem isn't a sophomore level course at my school. It is a 400 level course with orgo 2 as a prereq for it. Granted, I don't remember needing to use much orgo 2 stuff in it. Maybe I should have reworded my post, but these kinds of threads always turn into a pissing match of who has the hardest schedule. I just meant for the OP to only take on as much as he feels he can do. Once good study habits are established, then of course tackle more classes a semester!

Biochem isn't a sophomore level course at my school. It is a 400 level course with orgo 2 as a prereq for it. Granted, I don't remember needing to use much orgo 2 stuff in it. Maybe I should have reworded my post, but these kinds of threads always turn into a pissing match of who has the hardest schedule. I just meant for the OP to only take on as much as he feels he can do. Once good study habits are established, then of course tackle more classes a semester!

Okay, then I agree with you.

not to be a d-bag, but i'm sure SOMEONE in the class got an A....

If you could only achieve a D+ during the summer, then you have bigger problems than taking orgo and biochem at the same time.

If you cannot handle two science courses at the same time, you might want to rethink your future career, especially since one of the courses will be a retake.

Not that I'm 'bragging' as you accused another poster earlier, but you will not get any sympathy from me, nor from most of the frequent posters here. I am taking six (6!) sciences and one lab, plus two other classes. You need to be able to handle a significant load now so that in medical school, it's only a few steps up and not a cliff of difference. You don't want to be dangling on the side and fall off.

It's a matter of expectations and motivation and time management. I expect to get all A's and A-'s. If you expect to struggle and have difficulty, than you will, but if you prepare in advance and identify problem spots and have the mental toughness and ability to work through them, you will be fine.

If you could only achieve a D+ during the summer, then you have bigger problems than taking orgo and biochem at the same time.

If you cannot handle two science courses at the same time, you might want to rethink your future career, especially since one of the courses will be a retake.

Not that I'm 'bragging' as you accused another poster earlier, but you will not get any sympathy from me, nor from most of the frequent posters here. I am taking six (6!) sciences and one lab, plus two other classes. You need to be able to handle a significant load now so that in medical school, it's only a few steps up and not a cliff of difference. You don't want to be dangling on the side and fall off.

It's a matter of expectations and motivation and time management. I expect to get all A's and A-'s. If you expect to struggle and have difficulty, than you will, but if you prepare in advance and identify problem spots and have the mental toughness and ability to work through them, you will be fine.

this

unfortunately, the truth is painful and the content/work load is MUCH more intense at the medical school level. That's not to say one can not improve, but if you can not the reality of the matter will eventually let you know.

you don't understand man...
it's AT THE SAME TIME!?!!?!?

I would say the problem the OP had with Orgo II must have been the fact there were two exams. Science courses like that can mean quick death for individuals who do not have abnormally high memory and cognitive abilities. I believe I had a science course like that and got a B in it. However, other homework, quizzes, etc. helped me do well. If orgo II did not offer that as a safety net, yeah, the situation was a trap.

OP needs to wise up and decide when a scenario is bad and eject.

I got a C in orgo II, btw. Yeah, I know it's B.S..

Also, I'm going to have to disagree with some people here. Organic II is like taking two science courses at once. The amount of time necessary for that course is insane. Also, I've been told labs also need an insane amount of time. The credit hour count is unjustified for the most part. But I don't think things will change, as people primarily use orgo for weed-out purposes. Come on, most of us know that, right? They're not going to make the course fair at all.

Taking multiple science courses is not difficult, but taking multiple weed-outs is. Don't take multiple weed-outs, then.

...It's a matter of expectations and motivation and time management. I expect to get all A's and A-'s. If you expect to struggle and have difficulty, than you will, but if you prepare in advance and identify problem spots and have the mental toughness and ability to work through them, you will be fine.

Just one more reason professors just make organic even harder: People come in prepared. Look, it's a game that is not easily won.

But yes, it's an issue of time management (cause, well, we exist in a dimension with time) and knowing when to throw away sleep. Anyway, isn't offering Organic II during the summer a contemporary experimental thing? Because in the past, it was really only offered Fall/Spring, because it was considered most students couldn't do it during the summer.

OP has been ignorant of the facts of the situation and did not know when to eject.

OP, you need to wise up.

Also, I'm not a normal human. :lame:

Last edited:
The point here isn't that taking two science classes at once would be too hard; it's not, and pre-meds have to do that all the time. The issue here is that one of the classes is actually a direct pre-req for the other.

I honestly would not recommend taking the classes at the same time. Regardless of how well you THINK you understood the material, your performance does not reflect that opinion. Given the tenuous place your GPA is likely in after a D+, I would not go into biochem without being certain that you can handle it; another performance like that in biochem would do significant further harm to your GPA, and at a certain point you're not going to be able to bring it up without extra classes after you graduate. That would be much worse than simply slowing down and delaying biochem for one semester.

Also, while some other posters have been pretty rude about it, you do need to toughen up a bit. You ARE complaining and offering excuses for why you didn't get the grade you think you deserve, when quite honestly none of that stuff matters; as someone else said, SOMEONE clearly made an A in that class, and you need to take control of the situation and figure out how to be that person.

The point here isn't that taking two science classes at once would be too hard; it's not, and pre-meds have to do that all the time. The issue here is that one of the classes is actually a direct pre-req for the other.

I didn't find that there was a huge reliance on orgo in biochem 1. At the end of orgo 2, my prof took half a lecture to talk about pH, pKa's, and acid/bases and said, 'this is what you need for biochemistry 1.'

There are some mechanisms (Claisen!) that you might need to know, but that probably depends more on your teacher. We had to know the theory and four or five mechanisms for the entire semester of Biochem 2 and all of them were explained in class, but that's highly teacher-dependent.

"Thicker Russian accent" is infinitely preferable to the Indian lecturers (no offense intended, I have an amazing Asian fob accent.)

It depends on each person, I've had a Russian TA that I couldn't understand the entire semester. I've had a Indian TA that was very understandable for me.

I'll definitely have to agree that professors with accents is a problem, especially if course exams are lecture based. It's one thing to have a lack of an English grammar and/or vocab; but it's different to be audibly incomprehensible.

OP needed to eject.

I've met such people, and I really dislike education for placing the audibly incomprehensible individuals in front of a student body. I think it's a political move in order to screw with the departments in order to get that person on a research track rather than teaching track. That's what I think.

Also, it could be a way to milk money out of summer students. Colleges have become increasingly corrupt. Personally, I've got some seriously conservative views about what kind of individual should teach an American class. And I don't want to hear a foreign accent that I can't make sense of. I just find that rude, dishonest, and attempt at robbing me of a proper education.

Also, the medical student who said be the person who got an A...
Dude, only so many people get As on exams.

You know that, though.

I found Orgo II to be extremely hard, because it really is memorization while attempting to have some kind of orbital trends in order to make sense of it all. Professor often say, "Oh, it's not memorization... blah blah..."

I have a hard time memorizing sticks and floating balls. Describe a physiological pathway in the cell, and I'll be just fine, because there are actual physical structures that relate and have a more defined shape.

I'll definitely have to agree that professors with accents is a problem, especially if course exams are lecture based. It's one thing to have a lack of an English grammar and/or vocab; but it's different to be audibly incomprehensible.

OP needed to eject.

I've met such people, and I really dislike education for placing the audibly incomprehensible individuals in front of a student body. I think it's a political move in order to screw with the departments in order to get that person on a research track rather than teaching track. That's what I think.

Also, it could be a way to milk money out of summer students. Colleges have become increasingly corrupt. Personally, I've got some seriously conservative views about what kind of individual should teach an American class. And I don't want to hear a foreign accent that I can't make sense of. I just find that rude, dishonest, and attempt at robbing me of a proper education.

You know that, though.

I found Orgo II to be extremely hard, because it really is memorization while attempting to have some kind of orbital trends in order to make sense of it all. Professor often say, "Oh, it's not memorization... blah blah..."

I have a hard time memorizing sticks and floating balls. Describe a physiological pathway in the cell, and I'll be just fine, because there are actual physical structures that relate and have a more defined shape.

dude. . .wtf. life must be really exciting as you.

I'm writing a secondary essay about overcoming challenges. Can someone help me pick a topic? I'm between:

1. taking two science classes AT THE SAME TIME !?
or
2. having a prof with an accent.

thanks

"If you had a million dollars, what would you do?"
"Orgo 2 and biochem at the same time."

You know that, though.
Touche :rolleyes:

The point I was trying to make is that clearly it's not impossible to succeed in that class. Obviously a B would be fine; even a C, it happens sometimes. But with a D+, the problem is not just the number of tests or the professor's accent. People might as well accept the things they can't change and focus on controlling the things they can.

Do people seriously freak out about taking multiple science classes at the same time? What do you major in? I cannot think of a single science major that doesn't require you take at least 2 sciences per semester (including a few semesters where you have to load up and take 3-4).

It is definitely doable, but it will also obviously be tough. Sure, this time around you will be taking the class during a full semester as opposed to a shorter summer one, but still seeing you struggling with one class with the constrains of time, can you really imagine yourself with more classes?

Think it through carefully if you are really up to the task. Look for syllabuses for those classes and read up on what sort of material that will be covered, and just look at the overall picture and see if you would be able to handle all the work.

Don't forget that you will likely still have the option to withdraw from either of the classes, at least the first week of classes. So if you really want to, then go ahead, see how the first week feels like and then decide if you are capable of going towards the end.

Good luck.

I'm writing a secondary essay about overcoming challenges. Can someone help me pick a topic? I'm between:

1. taking two science classes AT THE SAME TIME !?
or
2. having a prof with an accent.

thanks

classic.. :laugh:

Alright ppl..give OP some slack..s/he just got a D+ in OChemII...hence OP is worried abt whether it's possible to handle two sci classes...

but I do agree with those saying that you may want to reevaluate your study skills, time managements and such...do what you think is best for you..if you think taking one science class and loading up on many non science classes will help you regain confidence and u'll learn how good study habits..then go for it and in the Spring you can start taking 2 (or maybe 3 science courses by then..)

There are a lot of unneccessarily mean posts here, but the honest truth is that physicians are about the most highly examined profession and must pack incredible amounts of knowledge in extremely short amounts of time-- knowledge they must be able to recall years later. Most people cant do it... and theres no shame in that, but it might not be wise to pursue a profession based upon something that may not be a strength. Science and academia really should be strengths of anyone who wishes to attend medical school. Make sure that they are and that this was just a fluke, or you may spend a lot of time barking up the wrong tree