Orgo and orgo lab counted separately?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMCanesMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question. I am graduating from the university of miami in may. I have a 3.52 cum and 3.4 BCPM. However, I received C-'s in both Organic lecture classes ( my only "C" grades). I did not bother to re-take the classes because the only professor was horrendous and I really had a hard time with the class. Now.. the university of miami counts a C- as passing because I received A's in both labs..therefore my Orgo GPA is a 2.3. My question is do adcom's look at the lab and lecture separately or will they just look at my overall 2.3 (C+) for organic chemistry. Also...this did not appear to be an initial problem as I received secondaries from every school i applied to. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a quick question. I am graduating from the university of miami in may. I have a 3.52 cum and 3.4 BCPM. However, I received C-'s in both Organic lecture classes ( my only "C" grades). I did not bother to re-take the classes because the only professor was horrendous and I really had a hard time with the class. Now.. the university of miami counts a C- as passing because I received A's in both labs..therefore my Orgo GPA is a 2.3. My question is do adcom's look at the lab and lecture separately or will they just look at my overall 2.3 (C+) for organic chemistry. Also...this did not appear to be an initial problem as I received secondaries from every school i applied to. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

does it really matter? separately or not, the grade is multiplied by the # of credits and added to your bcpm, so either way...it will be the same

Members don't see this ad :)
does it really matter? separately or not, the grade is multiplied by the # of credits and added to your bcpm, so either way...it will be the same

Yes. If it's counted as C-, as a separate course, med schools may not consider it as fulfilling their requirements.