Orgo chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doccure

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the reaction product for the reaction
ICH2CH2I + Mg(ether)----> ?

How E2 Beta elimination works here?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the reaction product for the reaction
ICH2CH2I + Mg(ether)----> ?

How E2 Beta elimination works here?

Hmm, this is a weird one. I remember seeing MgX and then placing it in ether. Well all i can think of is I( a very good leaving group) leaving as I- and then the I- will abstract the I+ and make a I2 dihalide and therefore make the Alkene???~^ i think

the ans is CH2CH2. But I don't understand how they got that ans.

Post the Q. I just started orgo 2 this semester, but ill prolly figure it out. Anywho just post the Q and ill answer it to the best of my ability:D

Members don't see this ad :)
whenever I see Mg, I automatically assume that it is grignard reagent, but I don't know if this is still the grignard reagent.

Post the Q. I just started orgo 2 this semester, but ill prolly figure it out. Anywho just post the Q and ill answer it to the best of my ability:D

You got it right. I think it is basically reverse of I2 addition to a double bond.
Probably way more complicated than the way you explained it though.

whenever I see Mg, I automatically assume that it is grignard reagent, but I don't know if this is still the grignard reagent.

Same, but this reaction is weird, never seen it before.

ethylene (ch2=ch2) is the answer. basically, the Mg reacts with the halide, making it

I ch2 ch2(-)(+)MgI

then, the negative on the carbon creates a double
bond with the other carbon causing the elimination of the I.

ch2=ch2 + I(-)(+)MgI

at least I think that's how the reaction goes. I'm not sure if the final answer has I2 and Mg,ether again, but I do know that ethylene is the major product.

I'm not 100% sure this is how the mechanism is, but i'm pretty sure that this is the gist of it. hope it helps!;)