1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

% Orgo I vs. % Orgo II on DAT

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by hoss19, Mar 4, 2007.

1. hoss19

hoss19 half iron, half man
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hello all. I am in middle of planning summer classes and potential DAT dates (as I am sure many of you are!) and I was curious to know what some of you who have taken the DAT think the breakdown is of Orgo I vs. Orgo II on the test.

I have heard from some people in my program that DAT is not heavy on Orgo II and that getting a good score on the Orgo part of the test does not necessarily require having taken Orgo II. Others have said that I would be a fool to take DAT before Orgo II.

My situation is this:
    Take Orgo II first summer period; take second summer to study for DAT; take DAT in early August.
    OR
    Take first summer semester to study for DAT; take DAT late June; take Orgo II sometime after...

I am all for making my own decisions, but I am curious to hear what SDNrs have to say, especially those who took DAT w/o Orgo II under their belt. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Indie

Indie Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student

Wait till you take orgo II.... I would say more than half of my test was from orgo II related stuff... It can only help you to have taken it... even if it was 25% orgo II, do you want to go into the test not being prepared for ANY questions??

4. dddsmack

dddsmack my baby and I
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    My DAT was like 95% organic 1 and 5% organic 2. That 5% was aromatic rings and spec. I had a few questions on rxns of rings and 1 on HNMR.

But that is just me. I am positive someone will get on and say they had mostly orgo2 and even some biochem (sugars and amino acids).

Good Luck

PS I didn't have orgo 2 completed and scored as good or better than 99.3% of test takers.

5. 4thQtrDreams

4thQtrDreams Good times, for a change.
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I think my test was like 75% orgo 2, and 25% orgo1, and I did have at least one sugar question and one amino acid question.

So long as you take the DAT by August 15th i think you'll do better with your first plan.. But are you sure your school offers orgo in a single summer session (1 month long?)

6. johnway83

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    My exam was rougly 70% Organic II and 30% basic material from Organic I. Trying to take the DAT without taking Organic II isn't a wise decision in my opinion. If I were you, I would take the course, study for the DAT THEN take the exam.

7. toothy85

toothy85 Duck duck goose
    10+ Year Member

i had no organic on my dat

8. RICEman

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I don't know about you guys but my orgo 1 topics were like orgo 2 - except that orgo 2 seems to go in deeper details. I'm in the same predicament as the OP. Not sure if my plan of studying orgo 2 on my own is enough. Many DAT reviewers question are mostly orgo 1 stuff. Even the ADA pdf description of Organic test section is like orgo 1. We used Paula Bruice organic text.

any thoughts on these...?

9. pmantz

pmantz Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Me either, There was this section about hydrocarbon chemistry. I agree with the majority here. I remember my first semester orgo was slower and the second semester alot more info, cause the foundation was established the previous semester. Most important chemistry I learned in II. And the DAT reflected that about 25% was about easy stuff.