% Orgo I vs. % Orgo II on DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoss19

half iron, half man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I am in middle of planning summer classes and potential DAT dates (as I am sure many of you are!) and I was curious to know what some of you who have taken the DAT think the breakdown is of Orgo I vs. Orgo II on the test.

I have heard from some people in my program that DAT is not heavy on Orgo II and that getting a good score on the Orgo part of the test does not necessarily require having taken Orgo II. Others have said that I would be a fool to take DAT before Orgo II.

My situation is this:
Take Orgo II first summer period; take second summer to study for DAT; take DAT in early August.
OR
Take first summer semester to study for DAT; take DAT late June; take Orgo II sometime after...

I am all for making my own decisions, but I am curious to hear what SDNrs have to say, especially those who took DAT w/o Orgo II under their belt. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all. I am in middle of planning summer classes and potential DAT dates (as I am sure many of you are!) and I was curious to know what some of you who have taken the DAT think the breakdown is of Orgo I vs. Orgo II on the test.

I have heard from some people in my program that DAT is not heavy on Orgo II and that getting a good score on the Orgo part of the test does not necessarily require having taken Orgo II. Others have said that I would be a fool to take DAT before Orgo II.

My situation is this:
Take Orgo II first summer period; take second summer to study for DAT; take DAT in early August.
OR
Take first summer semester to study for DAT; take DAT late June; take Orgo II sometime after...

I am all for making my own decisions, but I am curious to hear what SDNrs have to say, especially those who took DAT w/o Orgo II under their belt. Thanks!

Wait till you take orgo II.... I would say more than half of my test was from orgo II related stuff... It can only help you to have taken it... even if it was 25% orgo II, do you want to go into the test not being prepared for ANY questions??

My DAT was like 95% organic 1 and 5% organic 2. That 5% was aromatic rings and spec. I had a few questions on rxns of rings and 1 on HNMR.

But that is just me. I am positive someone will get on and say they had mostly orgo2 and even some biochem (sugars and amino acids).

Good Luck

PS I didn't have orgo 2 completed and scored as good or better than 99.3% of test takers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think my test was like 75% orgo 2, and 25% orgo1, and I did have at least one sugar question and one amino acid question.

So long as you take the DAT by August 15th i think you'll do better with your first plan.. But are you sure your school offers orgo in a single summer session (1 month long?)

My exam was rougly 70% Organic II and 30% basic material from Organic I. Trying to take the DAT without taking Organic II isn't a wise decision in my opinion. If I were you, I would take the course, study for the DAT THEN take the exam.

I don't know about you guys but my orgo 1 topics were like orgo 2 - except that orgo 2 seems to go in deeper details. I'm in the same predicament as the OP. Not sure if my plan of studying orgo 2 on my own is enough. Many DAT reviewers question are mostly orgo 1 stuff. Even the ADA pdf description of Organic test section is like orgo 1. We used Paula Bruice organic text.

any thoughts on these...?

i had no organic on my dat

Me either, There was this section about hydrocarbon chemistry. I agree with the majority here. I remember my first semester orgo was slower and the second semester alot more info, cause the foundation was established the previous semester. Most important chemistry I learned in II. And the DAT reflected that about 25% was about easy stuff.