ORGO Lab and MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I will be done with everything but ORGO lab (at our U, it is taught as 6 credits of lectures taken over two semesters and then a lab for 4 credits) by spring 2007. I plan to take MCAT before the taking the lab. Not sure if this will be a problem. Any one can Univ of Minnesota can chime in?
D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,
I will be done with everything but ORGO lab (at our U, it is taught as 6 credits of lectures taken over two semesters and then a lab for 4 credits) by spring 2007. I plan to take MCAT before the taking the lab. Not sure if this will be a problem. Any one can Univ of Minnesota can chime in?
D
If you've had a full year of organic lecture, you should be fine taking the lab after you take the MCAT.

i dont remember anything from orgo lab. you dont need it at all

i dont remember anything from orgo lab. you dont need it at all
Just to clarify, you *do* need organic lab to apply to medical school because it's a pre-req. But you don't need it to prepare for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the MCAT before doing organic lab. The only thing I remember that really came in handy to know was that you use sodium sulfate to get rid of water from a solution.

But technically I suppose you should have known that from lecture (I didn't!).

I wouldn't say that the organic chemistry laboratory component is useless for the MCAT, but it's about as close to it as you can imagine. The only thing I think we did that was of any use was IR and NMR, but you can teach yourself that easily from in - class things.