Orgo lab w/ orgo 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redlight

Senior Member :D
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was just wondering how difficult it would be to take orgo 1 and orgo lab together. at my school most people (everyone but chem and chemBE majors) take intro orgo lab second semester while chem majors take it first semester and then take intermediate orgo lab second semester.

im considering chem as my second major but this lab is pretty much scaring me away because i don't want to be shoved into a lab unprepared.

things im looking for in your answers include:
if you took orgo lab with orgo I, general time commitment in and out of lab orgo I lab (please mention the amount of credits orgo lab is worth at your institution so i can compare), whether you had a lab partner, and how many total credits (science credits; overall credits)

thanks in advance for those willing to help

Members don't see this ad.

I don't get it...

Most places I've heard of, both Org I and Org II have their own separate lab components taken consecutively with the class...

Doing it right now. It's now too bad and I'm no chm major. The lab is time consuming though, with all those long lab resports. the lab experiments are cumbersome, but the overall lab class is not too difficult. The lecture is tough. Just don't take a lot of other "science" classes that semester and you should be fine!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't get it...

Most places I've heard of, both Org I and Org II have their own separate lab components taken consecutively with the class...

well i think in most places labs and lecture considered one course.
here labs and lecture are separate courses. orgo is 4 credits and intro orgo lab is 3 credits. you need to take the lecture before or concurrently with the lab, but otherwise they are considered two separate courses.

Doing it right now. It's now too bad and I'm no chm major. The lab is time consuming though, with all those long lab resports. the lab experiments are cumbersome, but the overall lab class is not too difficult. The lecture is tough. Just don't take a lot of other "science" classes that semester and you should be fine!

yea i guess im more worried about not being able to understand the topics covered in lab. for example, there is lab lecture (1.5 hours i believe) once a week but iwhat if im completely lost in lecture because the topics were not covered in detail in orgo lecture yet? i don't know how useful/effective lab lecture will be. lab lecture for bio and gen chem right now are pretty useless, i think.

At my school, Orgo I and Orgo II are two separate 3-credit classes, and Orgo Lab is its own 3-credit course usually taken with or after Orgo II.

I'm currently in Orgo II and Orgo Lab. Having already taken Orgo I has definitely helped me with most of the principles, but really, it's not as big a deal in Orgo lab as it is in Orgo lecture. Most of the time, in the Lab course, we don't need to know the material in as much depth as in lecture. Not even close. Not sure how your Orgo Lab course and teacher are, but if it's like mine, you should be able to get the gist of what you need to know without going into the detail that Organic I/Organic II go into.

At my school, Orgo I and Orgo II are two separate 3-credit classes, and Orgo Lab is its own 3-credit course usually taken with or after Orgo II.

I'm currently in Orgo II and Orgo Lab. Having already taken Orgo I has definitely helped me with most of the principles, but really, it's not as big a deal in Orgo lab as it is in Orgo lecture. Most of the time, in the Lab course, we don't need to know the material in as much depth as in lecture. Not even close. Not sure how your Orgo Lab course and teacher are, but if it's like mine, you should be able to get the gist of what you need to know without going into the detail that Organic I/Organic II go into.

sweet, this is exactly what i wanted to here!

i wonder how many science and total credits you took when you took orgo 1 and orgo II w/ lab, though.

I'm not sure if this is extremely helpful, but I had organic 1 with the lab-they're taken together at my school. I then had organic 2 at a separate school last summer and now have organic 2 lab at my school. I have to say it has been a lot easier having the lab component after the lecture because you already understand the reactions and the products you should be getting. I had a harder time with organic 1 lab-it's kind of harder to step back & analyze the reaction when you're in the middle of learning it in class.

I'm not sure if this is extremely helpful, but I had organic 1 with the lab-they're taken together at my school. I then had organic 2 at a separate school last summer and now have organic 2 lab at my school. I have to say it has been a lot easier having the lab component after the lecture because you already understand the reactions and the products you should be getting. I had a harder time with organic 1 lab-it's kind of harder to step back & analyze the reaction when you're in the middle of learning it in class.

yea it makes sense that it would be easier to take intro orgo lab after orgo I because id already know the concepts. my fear was that i wouldnt be able to understand the material at all in intro orgo lab but as long as i can understand it, i think i should be fine.

i think what i'll do when i have some free time is listen to the first few podcasts of lab lecture and see if i can follow the professor. or, i might have just look around to see if there are upperclassmen who've gone this route and then ask their advice.

sweet, this is exactly what i wanted to here!

i wonder how many science and total credits you took when you took orgo 1 and orgo II w/ lab, though.
When I took orgo 1 last semester, I was taking 18 credits total, all science (orgo I, cell bio, animal physiology, genetics, physics I, bio mentoring for credit).

This semester, I'm taking 16 credits, 13 science (orgo II, orgo lab, mammalian endocrinology, physics II, english).

Orgo Lab meets twice a week for discussion/lecture and twice a week for labs. We have to do lab reports for every experiment we do. The labs and lab reports are very time consuming. I would say it does take up a lot of my time, but it is manageable.