Orgo naming question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SundevilDMD

Sundevil
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am kinda confused with that whole N or n that you see in IUPAC.. what does that mean?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUDDS said:
Also, N can indicate the position of an Amine

yes big N is usually used for amines, small n is usually used for common names... :)

*n: for normal, meaning if you have a substituent group, usually higher than 4 in my dealings.

->example: it is common to call n-pentyl, n-hexyl, etc. instead of pentyl or hexyl which could be confusing; n is just used to easily identify the "normal" alkyl substituent

N:for amines, used to show what substituents are bonded to the nitrogen atom

->example:
Dimethylformamide.png

if there are two attached to the nitrogen, then the above can be called dimethylformaldehyde or N, N-dimethylformamide

correct me if i'm wrong, hope that helps

slayerdeus said:
*n: for normal, meaning if you have a substituent group, usually higher than 4 in my dealings.

->example: it is common to call n-pentyl, n-hexyl, etc. instead of pentyl or hexyl which could be confusing; n is just used to easily identify the "normal" alkyl substituent

N:for amines, used to show what substituents are bonded to the nitrogen atom

->example:
Dimethylformamide.png

if there are two attached to the nitrogen, then the above can be called dimethylformaldehyde or N, N-dimethylformamide

correct me if i'm wrong, hope that helps

N, N-dimethylformamide is the correct one.