Orgo on the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darth

Sith Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what is the average # of orgo passages that usually appear on the MCAT. 2?

Members don't see this ad.

Out of curiosity, what is the average # of orgo passages that usually appear on the MCAT. 2?

The last practice exam I had, I only had like 17 questions for Ochem. I am pretty sure on a previous one I had close to 23ish?

So usually 2 or 3 I'd say.

Last summer I had 0 passages and 1-2 discretes and a good friend had 3 passages plus discretes the day before.

When I took it, I had like 3 discretes. The people that took it that afternoon had two passages.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had 2 passages when I took it. No standalone questions. My friend had 0 his first try and then 3 his second try.

There was one really difficult Orgo passage on the 4/26 exam and maybe a second (I don't remember much from that exam).

There was one easy-ish on the 5/11 exam, with a few scattered discretes.

They really vary from exam to exam so I would just count on maybe a min of 1, max of 3.

I think having orgo passages will help you, considering the fact that bio passages these days are very convoluted. Orgo is very straight forward as long as you know the concepts.

I think having orgo passages will help you, considering the fact that bio passages these days are very convoluted. Orgo is very straight forward as long as you know the concepts.

Orgo is my weakest by far lol. I just took AAMC 11 the other day and destroyed the Ebola passage, so i'm hoping I can handle the convoluted bio.

The orgo passage on the 4/26 exam was much more difficult than any of the bio passages from either the 4/26 or 5/11 exam.

It's my understanding that it's completely random. Anywhere from 2-3 questions, to 25-40% of BS section. Best to be prepared either way.

It's my understanding that it's completely random. Anywhere from 2-3 questions, to 25-40% of BS section. Best to be prepared either way.

This. My 4/26 exam had 3 O-chem passages (1 of which was crazy). I felt lucky to have that much, since thats one of my strengths but it sucks that it varies so much.

This. My 4/26 exam had 3 O-chem passages (1 of which was crazy). I felt lucky to have that much, since thats one of my strengths but it sucks that it varies so much.

Yep, that third one was equivalent to two passages. I had never seen so much ochem emphasis before. That 4/26 test probably destroyed many people who didn't take ochem seriously.

Orgo is my weakest by far lol. I just took AAMC 11 the other day and destroyed the Ebola passage, so i'm hoping I can handle the convoluted bio.

Ebola would be an easy compared to the 4 bio passages I had on the test. People told me this, but I never believed until I saw for my own eyes.

Ebola would be an easy compared to the 4 bio passages I had on the test. People told me this, but I never believed until I saw for my own eyes.

haha I feel that same way. I haven't taken AAMC 11 yet, but I got rocked by the bio on the real thing. I had 1 passage I spent over 15 minutes on because I struggled to get the idea of the experiment, and I didn't want to miss that many questions. All we can do is hope for a very lenient curve...

I had 1 orgo passage maybe a few discretes. I'd say about 10 out of 52 on my test. The average is probably 13/52 ochem. I used to hate ochem early on in mcat prep, but I realized that they are the easiest of the BS section. My advice to you would be to spend a good week or so just strengthening ochem. Not knowing ochem well can definitely keep you from that 11+ score.

You had 4 passages more difficult than the coveted ebola passage? I must ask, do you feel they were more difficult due to content weakness?

I too had an incredibly difficult BS last year, but it certainly didn't have 4 legendarily difficult passages.