Orgo question. Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hellokioo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm very confused with this question.

I always use Chad's cardio technique for determining whether a compound is acidic or basic, but this question confused me. I thought that when you have two compounds on the same column, the heavier one would be the least basic, therefore, the stronger acid, but apparently I'm wrong.

could someone explain to me how to determine acidity when two compounds are in the same column?

Thank you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• photo.jpeg
    photo.jpeg
    22.3 KB · Views: 54
I'm very confused with this question.

I always use Chad's cardio technique for determining whether a compound is acidic or basic, but this question confused me. I thought that when you have two compounds on the same column, the heavier one would be the least basic, therefore, the stronger acid, but apparently I'm wrong.

could someone explain to me how to determine acidity when two compounds are in the same column?

Thank you guys.

Induction is the reason why choice C is correct. Fluorine is the most electronegative atom on the PTable. This effect is stronger that that of Boron, making it more acidic. Your choice B is incorrect for exactly the same reason. All the electron density is withdrawn towards the fluroines making that hydrogen more acidic. (F is more electronegative than Cl)

Induction is the reason why choice C is correct. Fluorine is the most electronegative atom on the PTable. This effect is stronger that that of Boron, making it more acidic. Your choice B is incorrect for exactly the same reason. All the electron density is withdrawn towards the fluroines making that hydrogen more acidic. (F is more electronegative than Cl)

Oohhhh I get it now. I wasn't looking at the dipole induction! Thank you so much, now that I understand this, this is such an easy problem lol :)

How are the compounds in answer D) supposed to be acids if they lack protons? Very strange question.