JustwantDDS

DrAMG
7+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2010
Status
Dental Student

ummmm so it says u cant have a grignard with an alkyne but u can!!! it makes an acetylide!!!! right?????? at least thats what i got out of destroyer

kaplan's oc btw- super off in terms of DAT format style questions...
i think im going to stop doing their OC stuff :eek:

toothhornet88

7+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2010
CA
Status
Dentist

ummmm so it says u cant have a grignard with an alkyne but u can!!! it makes an acetylide!!!! right?????? at least thats what i got out of destroyer

Well the way I solve this is first recognize that Grignard reagents would never react with an ether so the first thing I would do is look for an ether. Since it cannot react with an ether it will react with Chloride...its intended reaction to make R-Mg-X the other substituents are reactive with Grignard

Jan 15, 2011
Status
Pre-Dental

Just know the problem in the destroyer and you will be fine. Source: I took the DAT :)

About the Ads

wired202808

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2006
Status

it has to do with acidity, the answer is not alkyne because the H off the alkyne is acidic and would prevent the grignard formation, meanwhile the O-CH3 is the ONLY choice that has no acidic protons, hence it will not hinder Gringard.

Jul 7, 2011
Status

You can react an alkyne with a grignard, yes. It's just an acid/base reaction. However, you can not form a grignard in the presence of an acidic proton or a reactive functional group (e.g. carbonyls).

As for this question, all of the other answers choices have acidic protons.

JustwantDDS

DrAMG
7+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2010
Status
Dental Student
ohhh FORMING grignard vs. reacting with grignard....

sorry its kinda late.
thanks guys!

JustwantDDS

DrAMG
7+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2010
Status
Dental Student
this place is infinitely better than yahoo answers...lol 3 responses all within 60 secs
makes me kinda feel better that people are studying this late!
well kinda lateish for me...130am butttttt i study better at night anyway

About the Ads