orgo question.... kaplan?!!?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustwantDDS

DrAMG
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
x5e6mq.jpg

ummmm so it says u cant have a grignard with an alkyne but u can!!! it makes an acetylide!!!! right?????? at least thats what i got out of destroyer

kaplan's oc btw- super off in terms of DAT format style questions...
i think im going to stop doing their OC stuff :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

x5e6mq.jpg

ummmm so it says u cant have a grignard with an alkyne but u can!!! it makes an acetylide!!!! right?????? at least thats what i got out of destroyer

Well the way I solve this is first recognize that Grignard reagents would never react with an ether so the first thing I would do is look for an ether. Since it cannot react with an ether it will react with Chloride...its intended reaction to make R-Mg-X the other substituents are reactive with Grignard

x5e6mq.jpg

Just know the problem in the destroyer and you will be fine. Source: I took the DAT :)

x5e6mq.jpg

it has to do with acidity, the answer is not alkyne because the H off the alkyne is acidic and would prevent the grignard formation, meanwhile the O-CH3 is the ONLY choice that has no acidic protons, hence it will not hinder Gringard.

Members don't see this ad :)
x5e6mq.jpg

You can react an alkyne with a grignard, yes. It's just an acid/base reaction. However, you can not form a grignard in the presence of an acidic proton or a reactive functional group (e.g. carbonyls).

As for this question, all of the other answers choices have acidic protons.