1. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Orgo Question

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by tl413, Jun 1, 2008.

1. tl413

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    What is the Difference between Activating and Deactivating Ortho/Para directors?

2. Ghettob1aster

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If you went through and drew out all the electron flows, you'd see why they both direct ortho and para. Halogens are just one atom pulling electron density towards them, while carbonyls and other pi systems can withdraw electrons through resonance. It really comes down to the fact that it is awkward to draw a double bond to a halogen.

For the most part, there were 3 things I tried to keep straight in my head:

-If it's a halogen or NO, it deactivates the ring (through inductive effects) and directs ortho and para.
    -If it was not a halogen and had any lone electrons (ie, O-R, O-H), those electrons got donated to the ring, activated it, and directed ortho and para.
    -If it was a group with double bonds (ie carboxylic acid, NO2, etc) and no free electrons immediately next to the ring, it withdrew electrons from the ring, deactivated, and directed meta.

3. tl413

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thankyou very much. I am off to bed. I take this guy at 1230 tommorow yikes!

4. userah

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    haha same time as me. good luck!