orgo question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mgdent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys, in the chair configuration of cyclohexane, if you had an OH group and t-butyl on the same C, which would be equatorial? Basically, when you have 2 groups on the same C, which is axial and which is eq? I know eq is favored so the more bulky hindered group is eq but i havent seen them on the same carbon.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if they would be on the same C due to steric hindrance. But if they are, I would go with the general rule of larger in eq, smaller in ax.

Just a guess though.

Unlikely to find two large groups on the same carbon, that'd be more of a reaction intermediate type thing...but just hypothetically I'd say the t-butyl group would be equatorial

If there were two groups on the same carbon, the bulkier group should be equatorial more often.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

hi guys, in the chair configuration of cyclohexane, if you had an OH group and t-butyl on the same C, which would be equatorial? Basically, when you have 2 groups on the same C, which is axial and which is eq? I know eq is favored so the more bulky hindered group is eq but i havent seen them on the same carbon.

t-butyl has equitorial priority, check chads vids, he has a great explanation for it