ORS-F&A salary Vs. Pod Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncogene

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explained why the foot and ankle orthos are making so much more money than the pods. I know we are better trained and the expert in the feild. So what gives? I just looked at the allied physicians salary survey and the orthopods are making almost 200,000 dollars MORE than us after 3 years of practice and 400,000 more when maxed out. That just seems crazy to me. I mean the only difference is that we do routine foot care and don't take call. That doesn't really explain the difference. Any of you more experienced pods/students know. Later.

Oncogene

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone explained why the foot and ankle orthos are making so much more money than the pods. I know we are better trained and the expert in the feild. So what gives? I just looked at the allied physicians salary survey and the orthopods are making almost 200,000 dollars MORE than us after 3 years of practice and 400,000 more when maxed out. That just seems crazy to me. I mean the only difference is that we do routine foot care and don't take call. That doesn't really explain the difference. Any of you more experienced pods/students know. Later.

Oncogene

oncogene,

this topic has been addressed before, so i assure you that you will find better and perhaps more complete answers to your inquiry if you do a search in this topic.

To the best of my knowledge, I believe that Foot and ankle orthopods have a greater salary for a number of reasoins:
1) We are NOT Orthopoedic surgeons. They can take general ortho calls - therefore, they are not limited to only the foot and ankle.
2) The reumburssments per procedure are higher for orthopoedic surgeons than they are for podiatrists - part of the reason for that is related to the fact that they take gerenal calls as well.
3) Even if the podiatrist is working in an orthopoedic group, he is not in the OR room 5 days a week and logging over 25 Sx. In fact, routine care is still our bread and butter and not all of our procedures are Trimalleolar Fractures or Achilles Tendon lenghtening. Even if we are trained to operate on such cases, our typical practice will still the "bread and butter" procedures of Bunionectemies, Hammer toes, etc.

So, as you can see there are a variety of factors that govern why a Foot and Ankle Orthopoedic surgeon will on average have a higher salary than the pod. However, needless to say, our salaries are still competitive enough with other medical and healthcare specialities.

podman,

I understand the fact that we are not orthopedic surgeons but, I don't see why there is a such a big difference. I can't imagine that the extra call would be such a big money maker. Do they see alot of cases that aren't foot and ankle related? Lastly, I was under the impression that wound care is more lucrative than alot of the surgical procedures. Am I wrong? Thanks.
oncogene

Members don't see this ad :)
I know we are better trained and the expert in the feild.

Lets not start that junk up again. And by the way if you want to make money like an orthopod. Newsflash. Be an Orthopod.

podman,

I understand the fact that we are not orthopedic surgeons but, I don't see why there is a such a big difference. I can't imagine that the extra call would be such a big money maker. Do they see alot of cases that aren't foot and ankle related? Lastly, I was under the impression that wound care is more lucrative than alot of the surgical procedures. Am I wrong? Thanks.
oncogene

Onc, although a F&A ortho is specialized in the lower extremity, they still do knees, shoulders, etc. Lets face it, knees and shoulders pay a ton more than foot and ankle.

podman,

oncogene

First of all, there is a major difference between an orthopoedic surgeon and a podiatrist. An orthopoedic surgeon is trained to operate on the entire body - even if he or she adds additional training in the Foot and Ankle - we are not...So it all boils down to the fact that we are two different medical specialties. I wouldn't open the whole "our training is better than theirs" debate either because it would take us into circles. We have great training in our area of expertise but we are a separate medical specialty that covers all aspects pertaining to the Lower extremity - including, surgery.

In terms of the number of cases and the variet of cases that they see, I'm not an orthopod so I can't comment on that. Lastly, woundcare is an aspect in podiatry - is it more lucrative than surgery? It depends, to each his own. This is something, I will find out when in practice or residency i guess.

i I am not saying that we are the same as orthopods. I am just asking what the difference is with income. I know they are trained in the entire body and we are limited. I am just wondering if they do alot of other non foot and ankle cases. I am not trying to stir the pot I am really just interested in the reason behind the differences. Thanks

oncogene

Ok, i know this topic has been discussed like billion times here. but no one ever gives a perfect answer.

How much does a Podiatrist earns?

Whenever someone asks this question, the answer is "It depends on many factor", what exactly are those factors? Can someone explain briefly. please it will be a great favor. all people say are salaries are competive. What do u mean by competive. BLS says 94000, AACPM says 110000, Scholl says 134000 , Allied Health website says 168000. i mean common there gotta be a national average. Especially now a days. i mean what are your seniors, or those have already graduated getting offers. iam sure studenst who are in residencies and 3rd and 4th year must be speaking to their seniors abt this.

Some factors which i think:

-Not many qualifications in hand (for ex, a guy with PM36 is always gonna make more money that PM24 or PM12)
-Opening a practice in already saturated market.
-Practicing in a state where there are heavy insurances.
-Practing in a state where we have very limited scope (like NY).
-last but not the least, Bad customer service and behavior.

Are these the only factors, or there are others also. Plzzz say. And last question, what is the scope of Podiatry in Farming Communities/Rural healthcare. Do u think we do better in cities where there are no virtually podiatrists on every other street (in chicago atleast) or in rural area .

3) Even if the podiatrist is working in an orthopoedic group, he is not in the OR room 5 days a week and logging over 25 Sx. In fact, routine care is still our bread and butter and not all of our procedures are Trimalleolar Fractures or Achilles Tendon lenghtening. Even if we are trained to operate on such cases, our typical practice will still the "bread and butter" procedures of Bunionectemies, Hammer toes, etc.

This not always true. Dr. Mike Lee in Des Moines has a very busy practice in an ortho group. If the pod does all of the foot and ankle (no F&A in the practice) he/she will be in the OR as much as any F&A orthopod. There are not a lot of practices (from the ortho's I've talk to) that they stray out of their specialty unless it is a call case.

But I completely agree w/ your other statements, I just don't think that this one is always true.

This not always true. Dr. Mike Lee in Des Moines has a very busy practice in an ortho group. If the pod does all of the foot and ankle (no F&A in the practice) he/she will be in the OR as much as any F&A orthopod. There are not a lot of practices (from the ortho's I've talk to) that they stray out of their specialty unless it is a call case.

But I completely agree w/ your other statements, I just don't think that this one is always true.

the pod i shadow in vegas opened his books for me one time. last year (2005) he grossed 1.5m. i saw it with my own eyes. he told me he makes most of his money doing surgery. he has 3 offices that always seem busy, a pharmacy in one office that only his patients can use, only on thier appointment dates, and does a few other things to generate ancillary income. his office manager is sharp as a tack, and he probably contributes to this guys success in a huge way. this pod lives at his practice(s). not married, no fam..i geuss you can do what ever you want once you get going--this guy has!