ortho and pods

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abraham917

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this questions been answered here before, but I am curious about the different pay for orthos (treating feet) and pods. Online I've found that orthos make about twice as much as pods if not more! If an ortho performs the same surgery as a podiatrist do they charge more and get paid better? I am guessing that orthos in general do more surgeries than podiatrists and that's why their pay is so high, am i correct? If a podiatrist and an ortho both work 40 hours, and both perform the same amount of surgeries would their pay be the same?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if this questions been answered here before, but I am curious about the different pay for orthos (treating feet) and pods. Online I've found that orthos make about twice as much as pods if not more! If an ortho performs the same surgery as a podiatrist do they charge more and get paid better? I am guessing that orthos in general do more surgeries than podiatrists and that's why their pay is so high, am i correct? If a podiatrist and an ortho both work 40 hours, and both perform the same amount of surgeries would their pay be the same?

Foot & Ankle in ortho is a fellowship. F & A orthos still do all other major surgeries like hip, knee, etc along with F & A. You might find some F & A orthos who solely focus on F & A but its not the trend. their salary represents all the surgeries.

A Podiatrist is limited to Foot & Ankle.

Last edited:
This is a question that I have had as well. I have read that Orthopedic groups can hire a podiatrist for less pay than an orthopedic surgeon, and that generally pods get paid less than orthopedic surgeons. But I have also heard that Medicare pays a podiatrist the same as Medicare pays an orthopedic surgeon for any given procedure. So I have been confused. But one of our professors said that Medicare (and maybe insurance companies as well?) generally pay less for foot orthopedic procedures than they pay for other orthopedic procedures located elsewhere on the body.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Foot and Ankle orthopedic surgeons do more than just foot and ankle. They still do knees, hips, shoulders, elbows, trauma, and anything else that comes through the door that they want to. The foot and ankle orthopedic surgeons in my community for instance do a few foot and ankle cases per month but their names are up on the surgical scheduling board for all other types of orthopedic surgery. in other words, they have a high volume of high-paying procedures.

Nat

I think the OP is asking if they preformed the same procedures (ie. only foot and ankle procedures only) not who makes more money in general. In other words....do orthos get paid more for doing the same foot and ankle surgeries that pods would do...and if so...why is that?

I think the OP is asking if they preformed the same procedures (ie. only foot and ankle procedures only) not who makes more money in general. In other words....do orthos get paid more for doing the same foot and ankle surgeries that pods would do...and if so...why is that?

just one of those things that sucks about pods... harder to get equal representation at a clinic/hospital. i guess a reason is that u study general care all of ur years in med school then specialize whereas pod is specialty during med school.

but in all... if u want to do foot and ankle exclusively, go pod. if ur unsure about what kind of care u want, go to med school and u never know what ull end up in.

To answer the question that was asked......if a DPM and and orthopedic surgeon performed the same surgery on patients with identical insurance, the reimbursement would be identical.

There is no difference in the reimbursement a surgeon receives based on the degree after his/her name. The insurance company pays based on the surgical procedure performed. Period.

The reimbursement rates do not differ.

So orthopedic surgeons just earn more because stuff like spine and hip surgeries pays a lot more than foot/ankle?

So orthopedic surgeons just earn more because stuff like spine and hip surgeries pays a lot more than foot/ankle?

yup... but whatever... pods dont live in the poor house

To answer the question that was asked......if a DPM and and orthopedic surgeon performed the same surgery on patients with identical insurance, the reimbursement would be identical.

There is no difference in the reimbursement a surgeon receives based on the degree after his/her name. The insurance company pays based on the surgical procedure performed. Period.

The reimbursement rates do not differ.

The reimbursement is only the same for different degrees if the state has a parody law.

If the orthos negotiate a higher reimbursement fee from the insurance company then they get paid more.

We have F&A surgeons in the area that do solely (no pun intended) foot and ankle surgery. I am pretty sure that they are highly reimbursed. They do not take general ortho call as far as I know and do not do general ortho procedures. I have no idea how they make more. They are also not part of a general ortho group.

Anyone has the opportunity to sit down with an insurance company and TRY to negotiate receiving different rates. However, this is rarely successful unless you are the only one in a geographic area providing that service.

For example, my friend is a pediatric urologist and refused to accept the ridiculously low rates from insurance carriers for the very complicated procedures he performs. His services were sorely needed in his area and he was the only doctor capable of providing those services. Therefore, several insurance companies met with him and decided to pay him the fees he requested.

I don't know the details of the foot/ankle orthopedists in your area, and you probably don't know the details either. But without negotiating a "special" contract, the fees should be the same.

The only exception I know of to this rule is capitated plans. In Pennsylvania, "podiatry" foot/ankle services are capitated with certain HMO plans. If a primary care doctor refers one of these HMO patients to a DPM that is "contracted" to him as a capitated provider, then ALL podiatric services including surgery are covered under that capitation. So when you receive your monthly capitation check, it covers EVERY patient for EVERY service. So if you never see a patient on your capitation list or if you perform major reconstruction surgery, you receive the same check.

On the other hand, if that primary care provider sent the same patient to an orthopedic surgeon for the same procedure, the orthopedic surgeon gets paid "fee for service".

This HAS been challenged by the Pennsylvania Podiatric Medical Association with no positive results. The only way to really fight this system would be for ALL DPM's to drop out of the programs, but that will NEVER happen, because these doctors love receiving that big monthly check, since it's something that can "count on". It's a corner they've backed themselves into and now won't get out.

Podiatry can only blame themselves for accepting this situation. If we ALL rejected it when it was first proposed many years ago, there would be no such thing as "capitation" and we would all be paid fee for service for every visit, similar to other specialties.