Ortho- Infection control?

Warran E. Namel

2+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2017
  1. Dental Student
I've noticed several orthodontists and ortho residents I've shadowed that simply don't wear masks, goggles, or the like while treating patients in the clinic. Does this seem like a cavalier attitude toward infection control? Or is it just not that big of a deal? Curious to hear your thoughts

About the Ads

Warren E. Namel

2+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2016
  1. Dental Student
I'm curious as to what aerosol you think is being produced in the average orthodontic encounter?
I mean, sure on average most of the time you'd be fine. But it's for that small percent that you wear the PPE. I've seen residents place TADs and removing adhesive with a high speed with no glasses. Sounds like a bad idea

Aug 3, 2017
North Scottsdale, Arizona
  1. Dentist
Eye wear, gloves, and masks are always worn in my practice. In doing an impromptu exam .... sometimes I will pass on the mask. But seriously .... ortho tx is less invasive (I do not place TADS), but as they say ... you must treat EVERY situation as if an OSHA rep is standing over you.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.