ortho or pedo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reetoots

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i wanted to get some feedback from DDS's who are in either the orthdontics or pedodontics field. both specialties primarily treat children, which i know i want to do, i'm just debating as to which specialty i would like to pursue.

Members don't see this ad.

i wanted to get some feedback from DDS's who are in either the orthdontics or pedodontics field. both specialties primarily treat children, which i know i want to do, i'm just debating as to which specialty i would like to pursue.

do you ever want to use a handpiece again, minus removing resin from a bonded bracket? two very different fields.

shadow and go on externships. you'll know immediately if pedo is for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you ever want to use a handpiece again, minus removing resin from a bonded bracket? two very different fields.

Or deal with screaming children, or strap up a papoose board, or deal with parents who don't want their kid to have to be there... :)

Yeah, shadowing is a start. Shadow the residents as well as practitioners, too. One more perspective.

Do you like dealing with the screaming kids or "the world is against me" teens??

Boy, this ortho/pedo generalization thread could really go on from here!

How about being a GP and treating both sub sets, and their parents, and referring out all the things you don't want to do:idea: Honestly, don't get any pre-concieved notions about what area you might want to specialize in until you've done some work on either of those groups!

Do you like dealing with the screaming kids or "the world is against me" teens??

Boy, this ortho/pedo generalization thread could really go on from here!

How about being a GP and treating both sub sets, and their parents, and referring out all the things you don't want to do:idea: Honestly, don't get any pre-concieved notions about what area you might want to specialize in until you've done some work on either of those groups!

jpollei was just kidding with me, he was my classmate.