Ortho Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MatBennett

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any Ortho residencies that are not so hung up on board scores and class ranking? I would love to do Ortho but I think my poor scores will keep me from even getting an interview. If I get an interview I have a chance, I think. Anyway, thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

I think your best bet is to pick some of the smaller community programs and do aways there. Kick ass on your aways. Be the first one to arive and the last one to leave. Never bitch and never try to make anyone look bad. Get along well with the residents and attendings and you increase your chances exponetially.

For friends of mine who scored below 240 on Step 1, it seems Ortho is pretty difficult this year on the East Coast at least. I can't imagine it'd be any easier on the West Coast.

Anyway, while the majority of programs out there seem hung up on board scores, I would suggest what the other poster suggested. Check out the community programs, but before going on your away electives, talk to seniors who have gone through ortho and get their impression on which of these types of programs don't look at boards as closely.

The grim reality of many of the surgical subspecialties (as well as general surgery in some cases) is that board scores are extremely important. "Looking past the numbers" is not something surgical programs are prone to do.