Ortho Residency GPA/class rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Champ17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious what a competitive GPA/class rank is for ortho residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I would probably say top 5% to top 10% of your class would give you a good shot. GPAs can vary from school to school due to grade inflation or deflation so class rank is a better metric IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
When I interviewed one of the directors said "your application doesnt even reach my desk if you weren't top 20% in your grade". Dont know how useful that is...

Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed one of the directors said "your application doesnt even reach my desk if you weren't top 20% in your grade". Dont know how useful that is...

Omg... it hurts but it does help lol! Are you able to share what program this was?

Omg... it hurts but it does help lol! Are you able to share what program this was?
If you are desperate I'm sure you could get into university of Georgia. No one wants to go there because the tuition is so high

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
If you are desperate I'm sure you could get into university of Georgia. No one wants to go there because the tuition is so high

Now comes the question... is it worth it? I have at least have a year before I need to answer that question lol!

Now comes the question... is it worth it? I have at least have a year before I need to answer that question lol!

Def not worth it! If your class rank isn't too high you should work on other aspects of your application and try to offset a lower rank.

Reactions: 1 user
Def not worth it! If your class rank isn't too high you should work on other aspects of your application and try to offset a lower rank.

That’s what I’m thinking too! Trying to get some research experience and get more involved in clubs and volunteering, but it doesn’t help that everything is halted bc of corona lol... Just gonna do my best and see what happens next year!

An orthodontist on this forum was implying that even the Georgia program still gets to be picky among their plenty of applicants. So it's not like everyone who's willing to pay would get in, according to him. Any truth to that?

An orthodontist on this forum was implying that even the Georgia program still gets to be picky among their plenty of applicants. So it's not like everyone who's willing to pay would get in, according to him. Any truth to that?
I'm not too sure. On the interview cycle someone was saying how there were like a couple hundred applicants for the program and I was really shocked, but then they were saying the sentiment when they were talking to the residents at the interview was that you can pretty much get accepted if you want.

It seems the match system really inflates how many people apply and doesnt really offer an accurate representation as everyone accepts to go somewhere else.

However, I did not apply there and I do not know anyone there so I dont really have any solid basis to this.

Just curious what a competitive GPA/class rank is for ortho residency?
someone from my dental school class got in with a class rank exactly at 20% (rank of 24/115) right out of dental school. others who matched to ortho and got accepted had a better class rank than this person. I'm sure GPR/ years of pvt practice experience/ WHO YOU KNOW can make just as much of an impact.

I'm not too sure. On the interview cycle someone was saying how there were like a couple hundred applicants for the program and I was really shocked, but then they were saying the sentiment when they were talking to the residents at the interview was that you can pretty much get accepted if you want.

It seems the match system really inflates how many people apply and doesnt really offer an accurate representation as everyone accepts to go somewhere else.

However, I did not apply there and I do not know anyone there so I dont really have any solid basis to this.
Based on the ADA’s published figures and Goergia’s reported numbers in the 2019-2020 cycle they “only” had 79 applicants.

Most ortho programs seem to be between 100-200 with a couple outliers.

Last edited:
The Georgia program has always had a ton of post-match spots. I'm not sure how many people they get vying for those seats, but it's probably safe to say that it's not super competitive to get a post match spot there.