Orthopaedic surgeon babies in the house???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeachBlondie

Put some tussin on it!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to go to an osteopathic school, but am unsure of how well it will translate into becoming an orthopaedic sugeon. Anyone else taking the plunge? Can we hold hands and skip forth together--safety in numbers, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Every orthopaedic surgeon at the hospital where I live is a DO. I don't think being a DO will hold you back any.

I want to go to an osteopathic school, but am unsure of how well it will translate into becoming an orthopaedic sugeon. Anyone else taking the plunge? Can we hold hands and skip forth together--safety in numbers, right?

Well, I'm not sure I completely understand what you are asking. If you mean is it difficult to become an orthopod having attended an osteopathic medical school, well, ortho is a pretty competitive residency program to begin with, whether you are an MD or DO. Keep that in mind. That being said, taking into account that DO's are less than 7% (I don't know the latest figure, but it is rising; you get the point) of practicing medical doctors and the high-degree of competitiveness of the field, I'd say DO's are fairly well represented in this specialty. Now, understand that it will likely be significantly easier for you to match into an osteopathic ortho program than an allopathic one. However, if it doesn't matter to you, then go forth boldly. Make sure you make yourself into the best applicant possible for residency if you plan on matching ortho, though, because it's pretty competitive, if you haven't already figured that out. Of course, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves: get into a medical school first.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of a pretty well-respected DO here in the ATX who is an orthopedist. He does a lot of spinal surgeries, and works in a clinic with like 10 MD's.

I'm going to get diabetes from your posts!!! j/k :smuggrin:

it will be tougher, but its all up to you really. youll just have to shine a little more. but it IS tougher.

Q: How many residencies are there?
A: There are 29 residencies in 10 different states. Each residency is approved for a certain number of residents, which varies from 4 to 21, depending on the size of the hospital(s), the number of cases, and the number of DO attending surgeons. In 2006-2007, 299 residents filled 341 of the approved residency positions.

Worth noting that these positions are available only to graduates of osteopathic medical schools

Q: How many residencies are there?
A: There are 29 residencies in 10 different states. Each residency is approved for a certain number of residents, which varies from 4 to 21, depending on the size of the hospital(s), the number of cases, and the number of DO attending surgeons. In 2006-2007, 299 residents filled 341 of the approved residency positions.

Worth noting that these positions are available only to graduates of osteopathic medical schools

oh yeah, i forgot to mention the do residencies. it will be harder to get into allo orth, but you have the osteo residencies all to yourselves.

Sickness! But...that still doesn't answer PART of the question...

Anyone else want to cut people open and put them back together?

I have certainly given that some thought. Working at the regional trauma center, I see plenty of guts and stuff. I also go to the OR a lot, and its cool to walk in there and see the surgeons digging around in someone's guts.

Ortho surgery has always been near the top of my list of interests. Lately though, especially being married with kids in the next few years, the training and surgery lifestyle just keep knocking it down a few notches.

I do find orthopaedics absolutely fascinating though. Nothing like watching a full hip replaced in about an hour.

Ortho surgery has always been near the top of my list of interests. Lately though, especially being married with kids in the next few years, the training and surgery lifestyle just keep knocking it down a few notches.

I do find orthopaedics absolutely fascinating though. Nothing like watching a full hip replaced in about an hour.

Firstly, I'd like to say "holla'!" about it being fascinating. Completely. Totally. Utterly (or...'udderly' if you're a cow fan).

Secondly, you're married as a med student?? My hat's off to you! I've always been the cynic who says she'll never get married...probably because I'm a pansy about it. However!!! How's it treating you?

Members don't see this ad :)
In my hospital we call ortho consent forms BBMF's which stands for the ortho mantra "Bone broke. Me fix."
One of the attendings I work with switched to EM from ortho at Harvard. I think thats kinda insane concidering the kind of student you need to be to match there and the earning potential of a career in ortho, but I rather make less and be happy with a field I enjoy.

i will likely be joining you on your quest to become an orthopedic surgeon from a DO school...and guess what? I too am from san diego.

we have too many things in common. its getting spooky.

p.s. i just noticed the status above your avatar..... i had the one of the best "thats what she said" comments today. it was awesome.

Sickness! But...that still doesn't answer PART of the question...

Anyone else want to cut people open and put them back together?

Thank you for negating the sweetness. I was going to say you sound too sweet for it, so that put my mind at ease. ;)

i will likely be joining you on your quest to become an orthopedic surgeon from a DO school...and guess what? I too am from san diego.

we have too many things in common. its getting spooky.

p.s. i just noticed the status above your avatar..... i had the one of the best "thats what she said" comments today. it was awesome.

Oh man...could it be? Are we twins, separated at birth though once joined at the nostrils???? How cool would that be, hm? You're not an Aztec, are you?

And to my dearest MossPoh:

I am the furthest thing from "sweet". I eat nails for breakfast. ;)

Oh man...could it be? Are we twins, separated at birth though once joined at the nostrils???? How cool would that be, hm? You're not an Aztec, are you?

And to my dearest MossPoh:

I am the furthest thing from "sweet". I eat nails for breakfast. ;)

no i am not an aztec, though many of my friends are. i did take both physics courses over the summer at SDSU...the professor was god awful.

i grew up in san diego for most of my life but had no interstin in attending college there. i didnt even apply to UCSD. i do hope to end up back in san diego for med school, or residency, or after. UCSD is pretty much the only MD school that i would go to over DO right now. the other UCs i would have to think long and hard about, but well see how it plays out.

What kind of disadvantages am I looking at if I plan on completing a DO Orthopaedic surgery program instead of the MD ones? Job opportunities? Salary? Prestige (meaning what? patients prefer MD surgeons over DO ones? MD colleagues look down on DO ones? I hope not) or what else? I am set on going into surgery, and ortho is a real possibility.

What kind of disadvantages am I looking at if I plan on completing a DO Orthopaedic surgery program instead of the MD ones? Job opportunities? Salary? Prestige (meaning what? patients prefer MD surgeons over DO ones? MD colleagues look down on DO ones? I hope not) or what else? I am set on going into surgery, and ortho is a real possibility.

there will be no difference in job opporutnities, salary, prestige, or anything like that. no one will ask/care if you are a DO. the DO orthopod i shadowed over the summer was in practice with an MD orthopod. not one patient ever mentioned the letters D, O, or M in the same sentence. they just want to see a surgeon.

the only disadvantage you will have coming from a DO school is if you want to apply to an MD ortho residency. its not impossible, but you are at a disadvantage compared to your MD competitors. if you dont care about an MD residency and want to go DO all the way, then obviously that disadvantage doesnt matter.

I do I do I do!
Can't wait to do ortho!

Yea. Its important to note that freakishly large percentages of people go in interested in ortho. Many change their mind and find they like other stuff more. I'm interested in it, but I like just about everything to some capacity. I do have the stereotyped build for it.

I like surgery (watched quite a bit of it), but when asked in my interview, I said I would leave it to rotations to see what will jive with me. I think that is the best kind of attitude to have going into it all.

"Its my way of the ninja."

older brother is ortho surg. kcom grad with rez at genesys (sp). he makes sick money.

You are speaking my language Blondie, from what I have seen I am fascinated with surgery and ortho has definitely peaked my interest, although who knows what will actually happen.

Let's ALL be orthopaedic.....hmmmm....there's got to be a way better/shorter name for them. Sorthugeons? YES! It sounds like something from Dungeons and Dragons!!!

...and yes, I've played it.

I'm all about being an Orthopod as well. It's not always the best quality of life (as in most surgical specialties), but once you've been bitten by the Ortho bug, its hard to look at anything else. Hope we all see each other in residency.....

I used to be sure I wanted to do ortho. As a kinesiology guy with strength and conditioning experience, it seemed like the logical thing to do.

Now I'm not so sure. I haven't ruled it out by any means, and I see lots of ortho trauma at work, but my job at the trauma center has also opened up my eyes to all kinds of other stuff. I think being a surgeon of some kind would be badass, but I want to see what else there is too.

Not long ago, the orthopod came into the ER and put a pin through some chick's knee, and then hung weights off of it, and off the front of the bed, suspended by a cable. It was for traction, and it was badass to watch the guy drill into this chick right there in the trauma bay.

Well, most of these perspectives on here are from med students or pre-meds, valid opinions but they can be skewed. I'm a DO in an allopathic orthopedic program and the differences between MD and DO ortho are very little. So there are two ways to look at this...

1) MD vs DO ortho programs: Inherent differences in both, generalizations, but MD = research/academics and DO = community programs, hands on. There are positives and negatives to both environments. At a community program, you can be operating from day one...but you may be a work horse and technically sound, but not academically grounded in up-to-date orthopedics. At an academic program, you may get all of the cutting edge info and access to incredible research opportunities, but you may come out feeling like you didn't get to do enough cases. Again, huge generalizations.

2) MD vs DO orthopedic surgeons: Differences, none. All who have gone through training will be adequate to perform as a general orthopedist. DO trained orthopods (only DO's) get board certified through the AOAO and MDs and MD trained (DO's in MD programs) can get certified through the AAOS. The AAOS being the primary society for orthopedics do allow DOs to become members in their society, however, not board certified by them (unless a DO did an MD ortho program). I know some people don't believe it, but some hospitals won't give certain specialties priviledges if you aren't board certified through an allopathic society. Believe it...they're out there.

Overall, if you want to go into Ortho...DO is not a bad way to go. Like someone else mentioned, your chances of landing a DO program as a DO is better than matching into an MD program as an MD. Both are hard, but DOs may have an easier way into the field of orthopedics, not to mention that you get great musculoskeletal education.

So, if you want to do ortho...being a DO won't hinder you. IF you have your hearts set on going to an MD ortho program for whatever reason, you better get into an MD school. I was very fortunate and worked very hard, but I was constantly asked why I went to a DO school when I interviewed at MD programs. I have no doubt that I didn't get more than 50% of my interviews simply because I was a DO.

Just my thoughts...

cp

Reactions: 1 user
To cuddlepuppy...What was your reasoning to pursue an allopathic residency?

I've given it some thought. One of my interviewers at an MD school actually suggested it to me. I didn't know what it was then, so I looked into it. I now know what it is, but I still don't know anyone who does it. I may try and do a rotation when the time comes, to get a better feel for it.

You ever check out PM&R?

One good thing about PM&R is that it is one of the few specialties in which a DO can actually utilize their OMM training, not to mention pursue fellowships in several pretty interesting subspecialties.

TexasTriathalete: "...and it was badass to watch the guy drill into this chick right there in the trauma bay."

You know, although it is my thread and I'm all about learning and listening to the academic thoughts of others....

....DAMMIT! Am I the ONLY one who snickered and thought, "My, how tawdry!"?

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

The image that came to mind was FAR from anything medical...

There may have even been instances in rolepl...errr...nevermind. We'll just skip all of that ;)

I used to be sure I wanted to do ortho. As a kinesiology guy with strength and conditioning experience, it seemed like the logical thing to do.

Now I'm not so sure. I haven't ruled it out by any means, and I see lots of ortho trauma at work, but my job at the trauma center has also opened up my eyes to all kinds of other stuff. I think being a surgeon of some kind would be badass, but I want to see what else there is too.

Not long ago, the orthopod came into the ER and put a pin through some chick's knee, and then hung weights off of it, and off the front of the bed, suspended by a cable. It was for traction, and it was badass to watch the guy drill into this chick right there in the trauma bay.

just out of curiousity, what is that you do at the hospital you work at?

just out of curiousity, what is that you do at the hospital you work at?
Mostly mindless odd jobs. I help stock stuff, I transport, I hook people up to the monitors, I wipe the occasional ***. I've also been known to sit for psych patients and collect vomit. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I'll get to wipe the crusty blood off someone's busted up face, and if I'm really lucky, it will be infected with HIV and HepC.

I am also the trauma stretcher nazi. I get pissed off when they put the regular stretchers in the trauma bays. I'm always on the lookout for that.

I am versatile. Like the Danny Manning of the ER. Jack of all trades. Master of none.

There may have even been instances in rolepl...errr...nevermind. We'll just skip all of that ;)
FYI, I always get to be the orthopedist in that game.

One good thing about PM&R is that it is one of the few specialties in which a DO can actually utilize their OMM training, not to mention pursue fellowships in several pretty interesting subspecialties.

Exactly. All DO residencies (which are few) are dually accredited and people over in the PM&R boards were saying that a lot of the residencies (even MD) incorporate OMM into the training. Seems to me like it's going to be a field that is going to really expand in the future!!

And Tex ... you should casually lerk around the PM&R forums every once and a while, a lot of good info there.

I've given [PM&R] some thought. One of my interviewers at an MD school actually suggested it to me. I didn't know what it was then, so I looked into it. I now know what it is, but I still don't know anyone who does it. I may try and do a rotation when the time comes, to get a better feel for it.

Basically it is a glorified physical therapist. Despite the fact that it has a very cushy residency and good lifestyle it has low board score averages and is easy to match into.

Not my cup of tea but a lot of people in my class are shooting for it.

Another option would be non-ortho sports medicine.

Basically it is a glorified physical therapist. Despite the fact that it has a very cushy residency and good lifestyle it has low board score averages and is easy to match into.

thats just a sports medicine fellowship after a primary care residency, right? it doesnt matter whether it is emergency medicine or family practice...yea?

You ever check out PM&R?

this huge building was built a few years ago a block from my house. it's really nice looking. i just figured it was going to be another dentist. it turned out to be a PM&R center. i found out just recently that it was opened by my high school friends father. i'm gonna try and check it out a few times this summer to see if its something i am interested in.

Are you referring to the IM's and FP's that complete Sports Med fellowships? B/C in my experience (I spoken with literally hundreds over the last 6-7 years) those physicians rarely get to use that fellowship training. It ends up being time wasted for most of them, leading to a lot of frustration.

Are you referring to the IM's and FP's that complete Sports Med fellowships? B/C in my experience (I spoken with literally hundreds over the last 6-7 years) those physicians rarely get to use that fellowship training. It ends up being time wasted for most of them, leading to a lot of frustration.

i can see how it would be wasted if you did the fellowship and then went into a strictly family medicine practice..... but if you do a sports medicine fellowship i imagine you'd have an interest in using it later, so would choose a job that allows you to do so.