Osteopathic ENT Program Info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eldoctoraz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
COMING SOON!!!!!!!!!!
Hey everyone, I'm a MSIV currently applying to the osteopathic ENT programs. After the match, I'm going to post info on all the programs I rotated/interviewed at as well as other info that I feel might be helpful to future applicants. I'm pretty sure there aren't any other posts like this because I have searched this site several times and I know there were plenty of questions I had during this whole application process....STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I totally lucked out in finding this post today, while sitting in class about Osteopathic History... I hope there's good news to follow!

any updates? i have no idea where I should begin to look at which places to set up rotations at

Okay, match day was today and I did get one of the 25 D.O. ENT spots! In an attempt to keep this somewhat anonymous, I'm not telling which program I matched into or which programs I interviewed at.
I'll start with programs I didn't rotate at...
1. Tulsa - they weren't even going to exist d/t loss of funding when I was setting up rotations, but apparently they got some funding and are ready to go; I've heard it is a so/so program, but I don't know about their case load; their didactics are good because they participate in a weekly teleconference with 4 other DO programs
2. Kirksville - I honestly haven't heard much about this program and I don't even know if they offered a spot this year; they also participate in the weekly didactic teleconference
3. Affinity (Massillon) - I've heard some good things and some bad about this one; I guess they get a decent case load, but they have to drive quite a bit; they had a new PD this year, but I also heard the old one (Dr. Klapchar) will be coming back; I don't know about their didactics; I think they do out rotations for otology, head and neck, and peds
4. Botsford - this used to be part of the consortium (which I was told not to go to because of all the MSU traffic that it gets and that the "combo-interview" really sucks) but this was the first year that they interviewed separate I guess; I don't know much about them, but I heard the consortium programs have to drive a lot because they all cover the same hospitals
5/6/7. Mt. Clemens/St. John/Henry Ford - same as above; I don't know much about them; I guess they all interviewed separate this year, so maybe they are trying to be more individual and less like a consortium; I heard Dr. Brandeis is not a very nice guy and not very fun to work with (just a rumor???)
8. St. Barnabas (NJ) - I heard this is a really good program; they have a good case load and good didactics; I guess they rely heavily on board scores for making their resident selection; definately the better of the 2 NJ programs from what I hear
9. Lake Erie - I heard this is a really good program also; also rely a lot on scores; something interesting about them is that they make the residents get a masters in education during their residency so that the residents can move on after graduation and be attendings at programs; I guess this masters degree is incorporated into the residency program so I don't think it is any extra work or extra years of residency

Now programs I did rotate at...
1. UMDNJ/Kennedy - good case load and great didactics; don't expect to do much as a student rotating there as there are only a couple attendings and the students don't go to the office clinics; residents have to drive a bit between hospitals; not a horrible area of NJ to live and work in
2. PCOM - HUGE program; 7 hospitals and 20 attendings; work with Sataloff who is a VERY big name in the ENT world; do their didactics at Hanehman (sp?) Hospital which is Drexel U's teaching hospital, so they get a pretty good experience; the residents work their butts off but they get an amazing case load (i.e. the PGY2's were doing 20 tonsils a day in their second month of the year); they do drive a lot and some of their hospitals are in some pretty bad areas; good opportunities for fellowships
3. Grand Rapids/Metro - great program; beautiful hospital; a lot of attendings for only 5 residents and I think most of the ENT docs in Grand Rapids (2nd biggest city in Michigan) are attendings in the program; huge case loads; good didactics as they are another program who participates in the weekly teleconference; just started working with an otologist in town so I don't know if they have to do an out rotation for that anymore; do out rotations for Head and Neck (Indianapolis) and Peds (Cincy); good opportunities for fellowships
4. Columbus/Doctors - a so/so program; it's unfortunate for them that OSU is right there and has a big ENT program, so I think a lot of the ENT traffic bypasses Doctors Hospital; I have heard they are going to try to rotate with some of the OSU physicans which would be a big plus; they have to drive quite a way to COSI - the surgery center where some of their attendings operate; do out rotations for otology (I think), Head and Neck in Cincy and Indianapolis, and Peds in Cincy; have excellent didactics where they plug into an allopathic ENT teleconference weekly
5. Dayton/Grandview - a good program; residents get a solid case load (1st place where I saw a PGY2 jump in and do most of a parotidectomy) and rotate with a lot of attendings at many different hospitals in Dayton; new young PD who is really enthusiastic about teaching; great opportunities for fellowships; definately the best program in OH from my experience and from what others have told me
6. Pontiac - solid program where the residents work pretty hard; located in a rough area so the residents get pretty good exposure to trauma; residents have to drive a bit because they go to some of the hospitals shared with St. Johns/Henry Ford (which I didn't really understand); made a HUGE move recently in associating with Lakeshore ENT which is a power packed group of allopaths (some trained at Harvard and Yale) which greatly improved the quantity and quality of their case load
7. Des Peres/St. Louis - a so/so program; the attendings weren't very enthusiastic towards students; the residents seem to do very well and get a fair case load; didactics were virtually nonexistent; you will get to do quite a bit as a student (I got to take out a tonsil)
8. Joplin/Freeman - I heard prior to starting this ENT journey that this was the place to go and that the MacIntyre's (the PD and his son) are great guys to have in your corner; the residents get great exposure to a variety of areas as most/all of their attendings are fellowship trained (fellowships are STRONGLY encouraged upon graduation from what I hear); most/all the Head and Neck trauma gets flown into Joplin so these guys get good exposure in this aspect; only out rotation is peds in St. Louis; only drawback is that it is in Joplin; strong didactics - the weekly teleconference originated here
9. Genesys/Grand Blanc - a pretty good program in a pretty crappy area to live; very strong didactics as they also participate in the weekly teleconference, but also do additional didactics on their own; attending is a trained otologist so you will see some big ear cases; also work with a pretty strong ENT group in downtown Flint where they get some good exposure, especially to Head and Neck cases; be careful because they typically have a few base students who have been there all year who are interested in ENT (putting you behind the ball to begin with)
10. Huron Valley/Detroit - another huge program but will only have 4 classes of residents as of next year because it is new; so the work of 15 (and probably more) residents gets spread among 9-12 residents (depending on how many are on out rotations), so as you can imagine, these guys work their butts off; great peds experience; so/so case load (its tough because Wayne State also has an ENT program at the same hospital), so/so didactics but they barely have any time to study with their work schedules; will be a solid program in 3-5 years

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks eldoctoraz, I was anxiously awaiting your input into the various DO ENT programs out there. More importantly, Congratulations on matching into the very competitive field of ENT. I am sure you are anxious and excited to start next year.
What I would like to know, if you wouldn't mind sharing, are your stats? I am currently a third year student looking into ENT as a potential career, however I am not sure where I would stand when it comes to applying with my stats. How did you do on COMLEX I? If you did well, did you take COMLEX 2 early before gaining interviews or wait so that you did not spoil the first score? Did you do any research? How long did you spend at the facility you matched at? I am sure there are more that I am not thinking of right now, but if you have any additional input for an interested student please let me know.
Congrats again on your successful match!!!!

GREAT advice. Thank you so much for posting!

Now, how in the h did you manage to visit 10 programs?
Which hospital do you think had greatest surgical case load? the widest variety of cases? the most integration with a bigger teaching hospital?

if you had to suggest 2 or 3 hospitals to visit which would they be?
sorry for the loaded questions, its just so hard to find any info!

I have also matched ENT this year, there were 24 spots (sorry not 25) check the National Match Service Website. It was very competitive I have to say. However, my approach was a little different than eldoctoraz experience. I only rotated at 3 DO programs and 3 Allopathic programs. (however, i did full 4-weeks at each and really worked hard and try to show my true-self, sometimes you get good chemistry with the people there, sometimes you don't but this world is not perfect, and I'm not perfect either)

Seen some really cool robotic surgical applications in ENT in big academic institutions. DaVinci Rocks. I picked my top DO program for rank, and top MD programs. I matched DO.. so I had to withdrawn from the MD programs. After my own comparison, there is really very little difference between a top DO ENT program versus a MD ENT program.

Safe to say you just have to go with what is best fit for you and work hard at it.

Hey everyone, I would like to address some of the questions I have been getting as well as try to give some advice that I feel would help you on your journey.
First of all, I did not apply to any allopathic programs. I think ENT is one of the few programs where D.O.'s are almost never taken at allopathic institutions (vs. ophtho/ortho/derm). I know there is a PGY1 at a small program near philly right now, but he went to PCOM and I'm sure he was perfect on paper and did some big research with Sataloff. I would say if you want to apply to MD programs as a DO, you need to take the USMLE and (I'm just guessing) get at least a 250, do lots of ENT research and get published.
I was like many of you when I started on this journey and all I cared about was my board scores, which were above average, but not stellar, and all I kept hearing was how you need perfect board scores to even have a chance. I'm here to tell you that this is not necessarily the case. I was lucky because I had a Surgery Chair from my school on my side and a school that allowed me to do two 2 week rotations during my 3rd year and 8 more 2 week rotations during my 4th year. I drove over 14000 miles, but it payed off because I interviewed at multiple programs and was offered more than 1 spot.
I think the key to scoring a DO ENT spot is that you have to rotate at the program, unless your scores are really high, but even then some programs won't even interview you unless you rotated with them.
There is a fine line between being hard working/helpful/determined and being downright annoying. Offer to round on patients, preop and postop patients, and help residents, but don't be surprised if you get shut down.
Read, read and read some more...Everyone says to get ENT Secrets, but I actually thought that book sucked (I bought it and used it anyway). The book you DO need to have is the one by Pasha. Read before surgical cases and read about interesting patients.
Practice your suturing (subq, running interlocking, etc.) and practice your knot tying (1 hand and 2 hand). You will get opportunities to show this off in some places more than others, but it looks really good when you know what your are doing.
Most of all, be yourself and show your true personality. These guys have to work with you for 5 years so they want someone who works hard but can also have fun and has a sense of humor.

Any other questions, please ask!
Also, I would appreciate some other info from others that matched and their rotating experiences.

Also, research is not as big in the DO world as it is in the MD world mostly because you will not be training at big academic institutions. I did do some non-ENT research and presented some abstracts at conferences, but I was not published.
I can't just pick 2 or 3 programs that I think are the "best". Bottom line is that the ENT world is very small and I am glad that I got a spot somewhere. However, if I was doing it all over again and only had 2 or 3 months to rotate at these programs, I would want to get the best bang for my buck and go to the programs that take more than 1 spot - PCOM and Huron Valley/Mt Sinai (Detroit) each take 3 residents/year and POH takes 2 spots/year.
As far as the programs with the biggest and best case loads, I will say again that this is a small field with only 24 spots available and after your training you will be a competent ENT wherever you train. The residents at each program have to log their cases into a national database to make sure they are getting sufficient training in each area of ENT. If they don't get enough cases in any one discipline, then they have to do out rotations in that area. You will (depending on the area you are in and the training of the attendings) get exposure to some things more than others (i.e. trauma in Philly, Joplin; otology and head/neck in Joplin, Grand Blanc; peds in Detroit at Huron Valley).

Again, any more questions just ask!

Out of the 1400 people who have viewed this post, is there really no one else (past or present) who can corroborate or add to my post? It would be nice to have some info and opinions on the programs I didn't rotate at. Also, please don't hesitate to contact me <[email protected]> if you have any other questions.

:) you can be part of the "Jersey Shore" if you match at UMDNJ-Kennedy @ Stratford.

I believe there is hospital that one of the clinical faculty operates there. However.

That being said, UMDNJ is a great program if you're looking to become private practice general ENT and also want the great lifestyle while during residency. In addition, the salary at UMDNJ is one of the highest in the country. Almost 10k more compared to PCOM which is 40 minutes away.

So.. Great Lifestyle, Great Salary, Great People, "Jersey Shore", Atlantic City, 30 min from Philly if you don't mind all the driving between hospitals, low case loads, tracking down consults, and also less senior resident support/backup.

If you want hardcore ENT surgeries, heavy case load exposures, research opportunities, or exposure to fellowship trained clinical faculties. Then UMDNJ is not for you

Members don't see this ad :)
So I've heard now that 2 week rotations are more valuable than 4 week rotations? Eldoctoraz (or anyone), would you agree with this? Are there any schools you would recommend doing 4 weeks at? My worry is that programs might compare you to students who decide to do 4 weeks.

Assuming one chooses 2 week rotations, do you think it would be a good strategy to go back for 2 more weeks if you had a good initial rotation to solidify your chance at your top choice?

What about MD ENT programs? I'm working with about 16 weeks--and I was thinking about doing 8-12 weeks with DO programs and 4-8 weeks at an MD program. For those of you that did MD ENT, I'm assuming 4 weeks is the only way to go?

Also do all DO ENT programs require rotations outside of their home institutions? In my research, it seems most programs have ~3 months a year in years 3-5 outside of their base hospital.

Last question. I bought ENT Secrets and the Pasha book. I plan to read as much as possible before the rotation. Anyone have any tips they wish they would have known prior to their rotations?

Thanks again for everyone's contributions.

2 weeker vs 4 weeker = has its own pros and cons

2 weeker:
-pros - rotate at many programs get your foot in the door and attach a name to a face and make sure you're not crazy
-cons - compared to a another 4-weeker who works hard it'll make your 2 week seems like trivial. (so if the PD asks you, if this is your top choice in residency how come you're only doing 2 weeks?)

4 weeker:
-pros - you can really shine and make a real connection to people at the program and show your dedication which will fit into why they're your top choice
-cons - you can't rotate at many other programs hence lowers your chances of getting interviewed. Also, during the 4 weeks if you have any weakness or flaws that tips people off. It'll actually hurt you. It is a long 4 week interview basically.

all the MD ENT programs are 4 weeker, and not many DO gets invited to inteview unless you took USMLE step 1 and step 2 like me and score in the 90's in 2-digit score, plus research. if you just have your comlex scores, i believe your application will go straight into the trash, and doesn't matter how high of a comlex score you got. In addition, a typical MD ENT program will have 2-3 spots per year.. and they invite 40-50 people and everyone has 240's, 250's, and 260's on USMLE step 1 score with research also are in the ivy league institutions. (I've interviewed at 3 MD ENT programs and I have to say it is very competitive). So your chances of matching is low.

See my above post on what I think about DO ENT vs MD ENT programs :)

2 program directors emailed me that they think 2 week rotations are best. I mean how are you supposed to commit 4 weeks to a program you don't know anything about.
You don't think 2 weeks somewhere, and then coming back for 2 weeks is a good idea?

See my above post on what I think about DO ENT vs MD ENT programs :)
@DrKeys,
I would love to hear a little about any discussions you had with MD ENT program directors. Did most of them say that you were at a disadvantage? Did you ask any of them if they ranked you?

2 program directors emailed me that they think 2 week rotations are best. I mean how are you supposed to commit 4 weeks to a program you don't know anything about.
You don't think 2 weeks somewhere, and then coming back for 2 weeks is a good idea?

I think that is an good idea, if you can realistically secure housing for 2 weeks with first time, then secure another housing for another 2 weeks, pay twice, drive all over the country and still perform well. Then that could be a good idea. however can you do this for 3-4 rotations? probably not, for 1-2 rotations? yeah definitely. But then again, why not just do a 4 weeker? Most of the program would have interviewed by Late December, then 4 weeks later submit rank list. So technically you can probably squeeze in 2 of this type of rotations before rank list submission.

Whatever you do, just don't burn out and hurt yourself in terms of having a negative impact on their first good impression of you.

@DrKeys,
I would love to hear a little about any discussions you had with MD ENT program directors. Did most of them say that you were at a disadvantage? Did you ask any of them if they ranked you?

This type of discussions (details) are not appropriate for the public forum, however, realistically? nobody really tells you where and how you're ranked because it is a violation of the match. It is a very sensitive subject. However, usually for ENT, if you're invited for interview.. you'll be ranked but you just not sure how high. In addition, all the applicants are all equally qualify, and all are super friendly/smart, it is very hard for program to rank to begin with. Most of the place relies on (1) objective data (point system), or (2) pre-selection biased ranking.

for most of the legit places do (1) and you'll be graded based on your performance and everyone you meet on your rotation will count. After your interview, all the points will add up and rank list is generated from high to low points. for places that is not legit and only take 1 or max 2 candidates a year. then they tend to do (pre-selection biased ranking) where they invite the candidates that rotated with them and knows that they're going to rank them to match.. then invite some backups (go from personal favors, ass kissing, or med student who rotated with the program starting 1st year of medical school). Most of the MD programs are (1). So they never know who they are going to get each year.

Therefore, as a DO, whether you're selected for interview is actually critical. If they're going to cut you because you're a DO, then they won't even bother invite you for interview. Once they invited you for interview, your chances are as good as anyone else in the same interview as you due to the process described as (1)

Great info on this thread, everyone. Thanks for the help.

I'm an MS-4 applying to DO ENT/Facial Plastics programs this coming fall.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever attended an AAO-HNS meeting? There is an annual meeting in September that I was thinking of going to, but there are no activities directed specifically at medical students. My budget because of the cost of away rotations and interviews. If it's a good conference for students, especially DO's ,I'll find the money and go.

Does anyone know if it might be beneficial to a med student? Do many Osteopathic ENT's go to this meeting?

Any info on this would be appreciated!

OK heres a breakdown of what I went through.

1. Grand Rapids/MetroHealth: Nice, new hospital, a very good program which I feel is less known about outside of Michigan. There's a lot of attendings for the 5 residents they have, and they could easily increase the number of residents in that program with their caseload. One of the guys is an author in Pasha's laryngology section. They videoconference didactics with other programs. They do out rotations for Head and Neck (Indianapolis) and Peds (Cincy); good opportunities for fellowships due to their predominant MD staff. Their residents graduate with at least 3800-4200 cases. good volume in every specialty except plastics. Their out-rotations include: Michigan Ear Institute in Detroit and private otology again with Dr. Daniels in town, Head and Neck Surgery at HANSA in Indianapolis, Laryngology with Dr. Rubin in Detroit, Plastics in town at Spectrum Health, Allergy in town, Cincinnati Children's Hospital, Anesthesia in town, SICU at University of Michigan and several electives that are the resident's choice.
http://www.metrohealth.org/body.cfm?id=959
Old PD Director's Advice: Read either "ENT Secrets" or Gates, "Current Therapy in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery" Make certain that your suturing skills are very good and your hands are steady. Several programs including ours watch skills closely during the selection process. Finally, do not come to any ENT rotation unprepared. I cannot remember the last time we selected a resident who had not rotated here (I think they actually did at least once though). The hospital is in Wyoming, MI I think? The area around the hospital is not crappy like the detroit programs, it looks like a lot of it is new, its nice--but still doesn't look like there is much to do around there. I didn't make it out to see the town of Grand Rapids. The PD Markeweitz or however you spell it--is nice but can be intimidating, he lets you know that there is only one spot and it is very competetive and he does ask questions.

2. Genesys/Grand Blanc - a pretty good program in a pretty crappy area to live; very strong didactics as they also participate in the weekly teleconference, but also do additional didactics on their own; attending is a trained otologist so you will see some big ear cases; also work with a pretty strong ENT group in downtown Flint where they get some good exposure, especially to Head and Neck cases; be careful because they typically have a few base students who have been there all year who are interested in ENT (putting you behind the ball to begin with)
http://www.genesys.org/GRMCWeb.nsf/0/2A092C9777079F6A852572900060A592?open
Here's an idea of their caseload from their PD:
“General ENT (tubes tonsils septum sinus surgery) : Too much! More than ample volume for training
Otology: Strong case load. I am a fellow trained otologist and do 150 – 200 ears per year and some limited Neurotology. Better than all but one other DO program (Jopplin)
Rhinology: Strong case load in all standard procedures – FESS, Caldwell Luc, Balloons, frontal sinus trephine or osteoplastic flap …No frontal drill outs
Head and Neck: good case load. We routinely work with a general oncologic surgeon that does a lot of H&N including some flaps and mandibular splits. Several of our core faculty do every day H&N like parotids and thyroids.
Plastics: Poor. We do some basic plastics but rely on out rotations for most of it
Trauma: weak to average. I think we are comparable with any other DO program
Academics: Very Strong. We have regular didactic session that take a variety of forms. My OGME 4 last year scored 94th percentile on inservice (vs MD and DO!) The year before that a different resident was given the college’s award for highest DO in service score. Last year my OGME 3 received award for best research project.

3. Des Peres/St. Louis - a so/so program; here's what one of the residents had to say: "Des Peres is a community hospital and our three attendings are general otolaryngologists. We do go on out rotations but most of them are within St. Louis due to a great variety of ENT subspecialties represented. I think it is definitely worth rotating for at least a couple of weeks this Fall. August, September, October is the high season for fourth year rotators so I would recommend sometime other than those months.” I thought there was a decent case load of the basics, and they let students do a lot. It was solid in my opinion.
http://www.despereshospital.com/en-...aleducation/otolaryngology/pages/default.aspx

4/5/6. Mt. Clemens/St. John/Henry Ford - same as above; I don't know much about them; I had a friend rotate with them, and he said Mich Staters were all over it.
Dr. Kubek-Henry Ford Macomb: “The residents have 5 core rotations where they get exposure to many different cases. The residents spend 7-8 months working with my group. I would like you to take a look at my website lakeshoreent.com. The residents also spend 2-3 months at our affiliate program at Henry Ford hospital. This program is a top 15 ENT MD residency program. The resident didactics and research is coordinated through Henry Ford. The residents spend 4-5 months at the Michigan Ear Institute. The last core rotation is at Childrens Hospital of Michigan for 2-3 months. In my opinion I believe we have an excellent program both in volume and scope of surgical cases. The didactics are solid and the research is university level quality.”
Resident-St. John Macomb: “Surgical variety/load:
For our residency program, the residents are in house (at Oakland) 6 months each year. For those months, we are in surgery every other monday, every tuesday, every wednesday, and 2-3 fridays per month. We are in the office on monday afternoon (junior resident), Wednesday evening, all day thursday, and every other friday afternoon. The typical cases that we perform are tubes, tonsils, sinuses,laryngoscopy/bronchoscopies, facial/scalp lesions, neck masses, vocal cord lesions, tympanoplasty/mastoidectomies, and septoplasties/rhinoplasties. We also perform (but less often) stapedectomies, blepharoplasties, thyroidectomies, and parotidectomies. At Oakland, we do very little trauma and do not do head and neck cancer cases (other than diagnosis and biopsies). There are probably 10-20 cases per week at Oakland.
Out rotations: For our out of house months, there are not any required rotations however; the residents tend to do similar rotations. We rotate with Michigan Ear Institute for otology (2-4 months), we do head and neck rotations at Karmanos cancer center and in Indianapolis (4-6 months), oculoplastics, laryngology, facial plastic surgery, allergy, oral maxillofacial surgery, and pediatrics. The majority of the rotation sites and offices are within 30 minutes from St. John Oakland. The only out of state rotation is in Indianapolis and it is not required but is highly recommended. Dr. Brandes likes the residents to rotate with fellowship trained subspecialists.
Advice: - ENT secrets is a great book to read for students. - Many of the programs in the Detroit area are in close proximity to one another and all the residents know each other. Many times we see each other on our elective rotations. - Dr. Brandes works at Oakland and at Botsford so if you schedule a rotation at Botsford you will spend half the time with their program director and the other half with Dr. Brandes. (This is not the case if you schedule your rotation through Oakland). - If your school limits the number of ENT rotations you can schedule, you can schedule a rotation as allergy (through Oakland) with Dr. Rochen (who is in the same group at Dr. Brandes).”

7. Affinity (Massillon)--I feel bad whoever rotated with them last year because they didn't let their applicants know that they weren't taking a resident until sometime in August I believe. They didn't take a resident because they were in the process of moving to Cuyahoga Falls, a nearby town in Ohio. I guess they are taking a resident this year, with some of the same faculty? That's all I know. I think they do out rotations for otology, head and neck, and peds.
http://www.affinitymedicalcenter.com/Education/Pages/Education.aspx
Here's a resident's opinion:
"Our program (consistent with the majority of other osteopathic ENT programs) is focused on general otolaryngology. Our program offers a comprehensive exposure to general ENT. Time is spent at Affinity as well as at surrounding facilities. Outrotations are geared to emphasize aspects beyond general ENT. Specifically, outrotations emphasize otology, facial plastics, head and neck, and laryngology. The time spent on outrotations depends on your PGY year as is dictated by the hospital contract. Generally one can expect 3-4 months each year off site. There are several ENT texts considered essential to ENT training. One series that our program favors (and is used for book club) is Bailey's (btw this is a huge book not for students to buy!) It is best to go on your audition rotations early in your 4th year - you should be done with them by October. Interviews will be November for most places. I only rotated at two Ohio programs and the St. Louis program. I know the Michigan consortium lets you be seen by a lot of programs at the same time because the residents go to all of the programs.
I can tell you about our program. Our director is Mark Brigham. He is the first graduate of the original program when Richard Klapchar was the director. Dr. Brigham became our director last year when Dr. Klapchar moved to Detroit to be a part of their program. You spend your entire intern year in house and most of your PGY-2 year. Then, between year 3 and 5 you spend about 14 months traveling for subspecialty rotations. Not all at once - three or four months a year for those years. Currently, the head and neck rotation is moving to University of Indiana. I never went there. For my head and neck we were affiliated with Roswell Park in Buffalo. So I don't know much about that. Otology is at Pittsburgh Ear Associates - AWESOME rotation. Two of the busiest neurotologists in the country and we are their only residents - they have a fellow only. For pediatrics we are going to Children's in Michigan - I never went there and it might be changing. Laryngology is with Libby Smith, DO at University of Pittsburgh - AWESOME. I did plastics in Des Moines (where my family lives) it was great and he would be happy to have us all the time but no one else has gone.
So...there is a fair amount of traveling. Our responsibility to arrange the rotation, housing, etc, and pay for it. Sort of a pain but good rotations with tons of learning so totally worth it. Our program is very resident run...you have to be EXTREMELY motivated to succeed here and get what you need/want. If you are interested in applying I would spend the 2 weeks and arrange a formal rotation to spend time with the residents and all the attendings - most come to interview day and everyone's opinion counts.”

8. PCOM: From a resident: I believe this is the best DO program out there. Whereas the other programs are based in smaller community hospitals, with PCOM you have access to several larger university affiliated hospitals. Your intern year starts in community based hospitals for all your general stuff. The ENT part you rotate through Hahnemann (Drexel's teaching hospital, and Drexel doesn't have an ENT residency). There you will work with a number of big names including Dr. Robert Sataloff, probably the biggest name in laryngology and also the editor of ENT Journal. There are a number of other guys there as well who are nationally known--you can find many of them on their website www.phillyent.com. They rotate through Albert Einstein in Philly, Dr. Seth Zwillenberg is the name there. Same thing--big hospital, lots of cases, busy OR's. For all of their pediatrics they have a dedicated pediatric hospital St. Christopher's Hospital for Children--Dr. David Zwillenberg (Seth's brother) is the name there--and man are they busy, I mean 4 or 5 ORs going at the same time. The second years get sooo much more exposure with their basic tonsils and tubes than anywhere else by a mile, its almost an embarassment of riches. You also go through Mercy and Crozer with the PD, Ghaderi, the only DO in the program and he is just awesome. His fellowship is in allergy--such a nice guy. Traffic in Philly can be aggravating, if you have to drive between hospitals. Parking costs and lack of coverage for meals are downsides. Better plastics and trauma exposure than most programs. Basically it has the highest volume of any of the programs with good teaching from a number of big names in university hospitals. Another big advantage, is the access to all the courses offered in the city from the other MD ENT residency programs. You work more in this program and have less time to read than others, it all depends what you want. Given their connections, fellowships are not a problem. Philly is also the birthplace of American medicine which doesn't hurt either, and is one of the only programs in an actual semi cosmopolitan city.
http://www.pcom.edu/Graduate_Medica...rhinolaryngology/Res-Otorhinolaryngology.html

9. Columbus/Doctors - a so/so program. I can say that everyone is very nice in the program, the PD the residents, but the case exposure just isn't there. Most of the time there were a couple of surgeries in the morning and the rest of the day you'd be waiting in the hospital for consults--but youd get your reading done in that time span. And there was just your bread and butter ENT cases. I think almost all their attendings graduated from that residency--so its a little bit inbred (Which btw you will find is problem at many DO ENT residencies, and is a negative in my opinion.) They have to drive quite a way to their physician own surgery center COSI - but its an outpatient clinic--so just the basic T/A's, ears, etc. They do out rotations for otology (I think), Head and Neck in Cincy and Indianapolis, and Peds in Cincy. Their didactics are once a week--read a chapter or 2 from Bailey's the next day the senior quizzes you or may have a ppt. The one big positive was the city. I liked Columbus, big sports town, fun downtown, young city. The hopsital itself is nice, but the docs like doing more of their surgeries at the surgery center because they own it!
http://www.ohiohealth.com/bodydoctors.cfm?id=579#otorhino

10. Dayton/Grandview - Off the bat, the PD is an awesome guy and loves teaching, Adan Fuentes, and he is one of the big strengths of the program. About an hour away from columbus. You rotate at a few hospitals, It is the best program in OH, but doesn't have the location that Columbus does. The residents were all really nice. Didactics were the same as columbus pretty much. They do away rotations at University of Cincinnati for Head and neck. They also do a 4-6 week basic anatomy course at the start of their 2nd year in iowa/indiana? cant remember. that's a nice addition i think. they were fairly busy, but it can be annoying driving between the hospitals.
http://www.khnetwork.org/med-ed/grandview/Otolaryngology/Otolaryngology.cfm

11. Tulsa: Shaky funding situation? All I know is its a so so program. From the PD: “Average volume of 90 to 150 cases per month. T&As,Tubes, Nasal septoplasties, turbinate reductions, FESS sinus surgery, facial reconstructive cases, fractured jaws. Multiple tooth extractions, tongue jaw neck dissections, thyroid surgery, allergy etc. In addition the residents have a rotation set up for the next five years ast the Indiana Head and neck surgery unit in Indianapolis (2month rotation). A one month rotation with the Hough Ear Institute in OK City. We also do Radical and Modified Radical neck dissections as well as thyroid surgery.”

12. St. Barnabas: I heard this is a really good program; they have a good case load and good didactics; I guess they rely heavily on board scores for making their resident selection; definitely the better of the 2 NJ programs from what I hear. The PD and residents are all really nice. One of the residents is straight outta the jerzy shore! Same setup as columbus with a base hospital and outside surgery center--didn't rotate there so I really can't comment on case load--I just know it has a good reputation. They do aways at Sloane Kettering in NYC for head and neck which is awesome. It's expensive up there and they are only 45 min away from NYC--prob more with traffic.
http://www.saintbarnabas.com/education/sbmc/otolaryngology/index.html

13. Lake Erie - I heard this is a really good program also; also rely a lot on scores; something interesting about them is that they make the residents get a masters in education during their residency so that the residents can move on after graduation and be attendings at programs; I guess this masters degree is incorporated into the residency program so I don't think it is any extra work or extra years of residency
http://www.millcreekcommunityhospital.com/meded_residency.php

So there you have it. That took a while. I know info is scarce out there about trying to decide which ENT programs to rotate at, so I tried to provide as much info as I could through emails and experiences. In general, try to schedule early as slots fill up. Have the board scores and grades. Impress on rotations yadayada. Pasha, ENT secrets, emedicine, and anatomy atlas were some of the resources I used, plus the links I listed below. Try to make connections wherever possible because ENT is a small field. Always be nice to the secretaries and the ones scheduling your rotations. The best program is pcom in my opinion, but ask around. I did all 2 week rotations, and PCOM is the only one I wish I did 4 weeks because there are so many players involved. I only went through a couple of Michigan programs--I was averse to them mainly because of location, feeling that Mich State students had a big leg up, and all the driving the residents have to do. Think about programs that have/don’t have away rotations—do you want to spend 25-40% of your time away from your base city? The ones out west--the only one with a good reputation is Joplin, MO--but I didn't go because of location. Tulsa and Oklahoma state are on shaky ground from what I understand in terms of funding. I was impressed with Grand Rapids. Listen, it is a stresssful time with rotations and interviews, I mean especially when you know you are one of umpteen people rotating through there and you're not a base student, and you missed a question, and you're wondering do they like me? am i being annoying? am i too quiet? i hope they don't ask this question, did I just fart?, I wonder if he smells it?--its not really a fun process. the best advice i can give is prepare as much as possible, but don't lose your personality and who you are in the process. show as much personality as possible--all the residents and pd's know exactly what you are thinking and going through. give them a glimpse of the real you and how enjoyable it would be to work with you over 5 years. i know i know--easier said than done. You’re going to have to weigh how much you like everyone, clinical exposure, the city, academics, reputation, yadayada. You’ll know on your rotations.
ps also i rotated at an md institution and received 3 md invites--the one common theme was they seemed to be concerned i was going to do the osteopathic match. i gave them a schpiel, but really it is too hard to turn down the osteopathic match, esp if you really like one program. its very hard to get into those md programs--you really need the entire package of amazing grades, boards (BOTH usmle Step 1 and usmle step 2 have to be good), and research. there simply are too many qualified applicants. so think twice before scheduling that md rotation. even if a program really likes you and you like them, a. there are no prematches in MD ENT programs, b. you're not seriously going to skip the DO match if you know you have a spot at one of the DO programs are you? (one thing i forgot to mention is that with many DO ENT programs you will know soon after the interview if you got it or not). One advantage to doing an MD rotation is that you may make connections that will help you later on in the interview process because remember ENT is a small field.

Here's a bunch of links that I found and tried to use:

http://www.utmb.edu/otoref/Grnds/GrndsIndex.html
http://www.bcm.edu/oto/index.cfm?pmid=15659
http://wiki.uiowa.edu/display/protocols/Home
http://www.entusa.com/
http://www.waent.org/
http://www.entnet.org/EducationAndResearch/cool.cfm
http://www.headmirror.com/Headmirror/Links_&_Resource_39.html
http://drfling.hyperphp.com/Notes/index.htm
http://www.siumed.edu/surgery/otolaryngology/powerpoints.html
http://www.ent.uci.edu/GRarchives.html
http://hannaziegler.tripod.com/ent/lee/lee.htm
http://www.neurographics.org/2/2/2/1.shtml
http://oto.ucsd.edu/ResidencyProgram/tabid/55/Default.aspx
http://otomatch.com/
http://www.docbook.co.uk/index.html
http://thelippylibrary.com/
http://www.bumc.bu.edu/generalsurgery/technical-training/basic-knots-sutures/
http://www.headandneck.org/site/c.8hKNI0MEImI4E/b.6281225/k.BDD9/Home.htm
http://www.orlive.com/videos?videot...&objectID=784556B2-3FEE-11DE-928300219B8D5584
http://www.meddean.luc.edu/lumen/MedEd/radio/curriculum/ENT/Structure_ENT_f.htm
http://www.nejm.org/medical-research/otolaryngology-general
http://home.comcast.net/~WNOR/index.htm
http://entnyc.com/coclia
http://www.otohns.net/default.asp?id=3242

Thats about it! Hopefully this helps everyone out there. I know when I was looking there wasn’t a whole lot of information about DO ENT programs. So whatever experiences you guys have in the future, remember to come back here and post about it, and remember how much it sucked when you were going through it. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck! And remember you’re capable of more than you think.

Reactions: 1 user
Awesome post! Most of us on here (myself included) don't know much about DO programs- this post should help a lot of future applicants.

This is all very helpful info. I am a OMSII taking boards at the end of June. Anyway I wanted to know how important it was to rotate at some of these programs. I was a little disappointed with how few spots there are at each program. Do you have to be a super gunner to get a spot? Do you need to charm the pants off the residency director? What about research? Or do you just need to be a hard worker who is compatible with the rest of the surgeons? How can you go about separating yourself from the rest of the pack besides board scores?

Any input from someone who has either applied, or is a resident at the NYCOM, PCOM, or UMDNJ programs would be awesome.

Cheers

I found this thread to be very helpful along the ENT application process and I did match this year. Many of the previous posts are still valid, but there have been a few changes over the past year or so. I believe there were 21-22 spots this year. Notice a trend?

Obviously, these are my opinions and are based on individual experiences. I will try to limit my subjectivity. I hope eldoctoraz doesn't mind, but I am going to steal your post (since it was so good) and just update where I can in red.

1. Tulsa - So it does exist and I heard they took two interns for next year. Good program based on word of mouth. Extensive 2 day interview process that sounded a little challenging/ scary I've heard it is a so/so program, but I don't know about their case load; their didactics are good because they participate in a weekly teleconference with 4 other DO programs
2. Kirksville - I honestly haven't heard much about this program and I don't even know if they offered a spot this year; they also participate in the weekly didactic teleconference. From what I gather they take one every other year. I didn't meet anyone who rotated there.
3. Affinity (Massillon) - I've heard some good things and some bad about this one; I guess they get a decent case load, but they have to drive quite a bit; they had a new PD this year, but I also heard the old one (Dr. Klapchar) will be coming back; I don't know about their didactics; I think they do out rotations for otology, head and neck, and pedsI believe this is now Cuyahoga Falls, don't know about the program, but they did interview a lot of students that did not rotate there
4. Botsford - this used to be part of the consortium (which I was told not to go to because of all the MSU traffic that it gets and that the "combo-interview" really sucks) but this was the first year that they interviewed separate I guess; I don't know much about them, but I heard the consortium programs have to drive a lot because they all cover the same hospitals. True, the consortium is no more and each program interviews separately.
5/6/7. Mt. Clemens/St. John/Henry Ford - same as above; I don't know much about them; I guess they all interviewed separate this year, so maybe they are trying to be more individual and less like a consortium; I heard Dr. Brandeis is not a very nice guy and not very fun to work with (just a rumor???) Mt Clemens did not take an intern this year. St John took two I believe. Henry Ford - Residents I spoke with were very nice/ helpful, I believe they took one.
8. St. Barnabas (NJ) - I heard this is a really good program; they have a good case load and good didactics; I guess they rely heavily on board scores for making their resident selection; definately the better of the 2 NJ programs from what I hear.I did rotate here and from what I saw it is a great program. The best plastics exposure of any place I rotated (you are in the NYC suburbs). Good case load and great attendings. They are affiliated with the CH of NJ in Newark. Also, the resident pay is above average, but so is the cost of living. They took 2 this year.
9. Lake Erie - I heard this is a really good program also; also rely a lot on scores; something interesting about them is that they make the residents get a masters in education during their residency so that the residents can move on after graduation and be attendings at programs; I guess this masters degree is incorporated into the residency program so I don't think it is any extra work or extra years of residency. Agree. I tried to rotate here, but the secretary never returned my calls/emails. Probably a good thing for me though since they didn't interview this year. They already had a candidate (from LECOM?) that they felt was strong.

Now programs I did rotate at...
1. UMDNJ/Kennedy - good case load and great didactics; don't expect to do much as a student rotating there as there are only a couple attendings and the students don't go to the office clinics; residents have to drive a bit between hospitals; not a horrible area of NJ to live and work in. Yeah, good area, not far from Philly and the Jersey Shore. I am going to disagree on the case load, I found it lacking in volume compared to other programs. Also, they did not have much trauma or peds. They did not take an intern this year.(Funding issue?)
2. PCOM - HUGE program; 7 hospitals and 20 attendings; work with Sataloff who is a VERY big name in the ENT world; do their didactics at Hanehman (sp?) Hospital which is Drexel U's teaching hospital, so they get a pretty good experience; the residents work their butts off but they get an amazing case load (i.e. the PGY2's were doing 20 tonsils a day in their second month of the year); they do drive a lot and some of their hospitals are in some pretty bad areas; good opportunities for fellowshipsAgree, great residency. No post call days and some of the residents spent most of the night in the hospital and worked through the next day, but there is back-up and you are not required to stay in house. Also, Einstein Hospital provides good trauma and St Chris for Peds.
3. Grand Rapids/Metro - great program; beautiful hospital; a lot of attendings for only 5 residents and I think most of the ENT docs in Grand Rapids (2nd biggest city in Michigan) are attendings in the program; huge case loads; good didactics as they are another program who participates in the weekly teleconference; just started working with an otologist in town so I don't know if they have to do an out rotation for that anymore; do out rotations for Head and Neck (Indianapolis) and Peds (Cincy); good opportunities for fellowships Agree, I heard only good things about this residency.
4. Columbus/Doctors - a so/so program; it's unfortunate for them that OSU is right there and has a big ENT program, so I think a lot of the ENT traffic bypasses Doctors Hospital; I have heard they are going to try to rotate with some of the OSU physicans which would be a big plus; they have to drive quite a way to COSI - the surgery center where some of their attendings operate; do out rotations for otology (I think), Head and Neck in Cincy and Indianapolis, and Peds in Cincy; have excellent didactics where they plug into an allopathic ENT teleconference weeklyI also heard that the case load is a little weak, but I didn't rotate there.
5. Dayton/Grandview - a good program; residents get a solid case load (1st place where I saw a PGY2 jump in and do most of a parotidectomy) and rotate with a lot of attendings at many different hospitals in Dayton; new young PD who is really enthusiastic about teaching; great opportunities for fellowships; definately the best program in OH from my experience and from what others have told meI also heard the PD was awesome and I really wanted to rotate there. Students who did seemed to like it. They did not do a formal interview, but chose based on application and rotation performance. (So if you want a shot, rotate there)
6. Pontiac - solid program where the residents work pretty hard; located in a rough area so the residents get pretty good exposure to trauma; residents have to drive a bit because they go to some of the hospitals shared with St. Johns/Henry Ford (which I didn't really understand); made a HUGE move recently in associating with Lakeshore ENT which is a power packed group of allopaths (some trained at Harvard and Yale) which greatly improved the quantity and quality of their case load They took two interns this year and it is a good program from what i hear. They interview relatively early (as do most of the MI programs except DMC) so rotate early.
7. Des Peres/St. Louis - a so/so program; the attendings weren't very enthusiastic towards students; the residents seem to do very well and get a fair case load; didactics were virtually nonexistent; you will get to do quite a bit as a student (I got to take out a tonsil)Didn't hear much. I think they take one per year.
8. Joplin/Freeman - I heard prior to starting this ENT journey that this was the place to go and that the MacIntyre's (the PD and his son) are great guys to have in your corner; the residents get great exposure to a variety of areas as most/all of their attendings are fellowship trained (fellowships are STRONGLY encouraged upon graduation from what I hear); most/all the Head and Neck trauma gets flown into Joplin so these guys get good exposure in this aspect; only out rotation is peds in St. Louis; only drawback is that it is in Joplin; strong didactics - the weekly teleconference originated hereIf you are interested in head and neck, rotate here. They were doing free flaps right and left. Virtually no driving and free food at the hospital as a student, possibly as a resident too. The program seemed a little home grown, with most residents being from Midwestern schools. Also, there are no females in the residency (not sure why). Your rotation is your inverview, so you must rotate if you want to be considered. A couple of weeks before this years rank list was due, Joplin withdrew from the match. Not cool.
9. Genesys/Grand Blanc - a pretty good program in a pretty crappy area to live; very strong didactics as they also participate in the weekly teleconference, but also do additional didactics on their own; attending is a trained otologist so you will see some big ear cases; also work with a pretty strong ENT group in downtown Flint where they get some good exposure, especially to Head and Neck cases; be careful because they typically have a few base students who have been there all year who are interested in ENT (putting you behind the ball to begin with)Unless something changes, this program was shut down to expand primary care at Genesys. Just what we need, less spots.
10. Huron Valley/Detroit - another huge program but will only have 4 classes of residents as of next year because it is new; so the work of 15 (and probably more) residents gets spread among 9-12 residents (depending on how many are on out rotations), so as you can imagine, these guys work their butts off; great peds experience; so/so case load (its tough because Wayne State also has an ENT program at the same hospital), so/so didactics but they barely have any time to study with their work schedules; will be a solid program in 3-5 yearsAgree, except for the didactics, which I thought were very good. Just added two new attendings which should increase the adult case load. PD and several other ENT's work for CH of MI, so peds is solid. There is also an affiliation with Michigan Ear. Head and Neck is lacking. They do take overnight call in house, but have a post-call day. Funding issues limited spots for this year and they took one or two interns instead of the usual 3.

Rotation tip: Many programs (especially Michigan ones) interview in late Oct/early Nov and send out their invites several weeks before the interview. When you are making your schedule, try to find out when the interview date is and be there at least a month before.

Last edited:
@cruzecontrol
On my iPad so brief, thank you very much for the info it's much appreciated. Can you comment on if any of the programs screen board scores or rank? Also how many applicants to ENT would you estimate are in the pool?

@cruzecontrol
On my iPad so brief, thank you very much for the info it's much appreciated. Can you comment on if any of the programs screen board scores or rank? Also how many applicants to ENT would you estimate are in the pool?

I dont know if anyone screens for boards because you have to rotate to get an interview anyway. If you rotated somewhere and had terrible boards than I bet you would be unlikely to get an interview. On the rotation and interview trail it seemed like most people who got spots early on were at least well into the 600's with a few being above the 550's. Although there were people who might have had lower scores who matched after the shake down on match day.

I've heard the number of applicants is well into the 100's but thats just rumor. The real number that matters is how many people really rotate at several programs and are serious about it. I would say maybe like 50-80 but thats my guesstimate. It seems like there are several people who rotate at1-2 and send in apps but they have already self selected themselves out of ent and have a back-up specialty. There is a lot of self selection in this process.

Quick question for residents, PD's, 4th years, etc.... I have shadowed an Oto allopath and have developed a good relationship with him. I was thinking about asking to do research with him. For application and residency sake, would it be better for me to write a paper with an Osteo otolaryngologist? Also, is it a bad idea to have him write me a letter for my file? (Since he is an MD)

As always, thank you for taking the time to help a lost OMSII

Quick question for residents, PD's, 4th years, etc.... I have shadowed an Oto allopath and have developed a good relationship with him. I was thinking about asking to do research with him. For application and residency sake, would it be better for me to write a paper with an Osteo otolaryngologist? Also, is it a bad idea to have him write me a letter for my file? (Since he is an MD)

As always, thank you for taking the time to help a lost OMSII
Research is research. MD vs DO doesn't matter as much as the quality of the research itself. If possible, try to get it published before your residency interviews.

Also, I don't think it matters if the letter is from an MD vs DO. As long as the physician knows you well enough to advocate on your behalf, you are good.

.The Department of Otolaryngology of the GWU Medical Faculty Associates has one funded position for 12 months for formal training and mentored clinical research with Dr. Arjun Joshi.

This fellowship is ideally suited to medical students seeking a research year between the 3rd and 4th years, unmatched students, preliminary surgical interns, or residents in other specialties who are interested in training in Otolaryngology and are seeking to improve on their existing research experience in preparation for the Match. Candidates should come from U.S. accredited medical schools. .

. This research fellowship offers a unique opportunity to become involved in a variety of clinical research projects, all of which are conducive to obtaining peer-reviewed publications and presentations at national and international meetings. The successful Fellow will be expected to organize and carry out multiple clinical research projects throughout the year. This will involve study design, IRB submission, data collection (either through retrospective review of charts or prospective interactions with patients), data analysis and interpretation, and manuscript and presentation preparation. There may be multiple projects at various stages of completion in progress at any point in time. Excellent organizational and writing skills are required.

Your typical day will be spent seeing patients in clinic with Dr. Joshi and assisting him in the OR. There will also be opportunities to work with the other attending physicians in the clinic and OR settings as well. You may also be expected to attend lectures and journal club with the ENT residents.

Projects are predominantly clinical outcomes research in the areas of Head &Neck cancer and surgery, in-office sialoendoscopy, and ultrasound imaging; however, the scope of projects may also cover voice disorders, sleep surgery, skull base surgery, and sinus surgery. .

. The Fellow will primarily work with Arjun Joshi, MD, but there will be opportunities to conduct research under the supervision of the other attending physicians in the department. The successful applicant will join and benefit greatly from collaboration and interactions with outstanding clinicians and clinician researchers within and outside of this group. The fellowship begins July 1, 2012 and ends June 30, 2013. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply by sending a cover letter and a CV to:.
Assistant Professor .
. The George Washington University.
. Medical Faculty Associates
[email protected].

Hey everyone, I'm an MS-IV applying to osteopathic ENT. Has anyone out there heard of a time-frame for when the programs start sending out invitations to interview?

Thanks

Anybody hear about interviews yet? I've only heard from UMDNJ so far.

Can anyone elaborate on the number of spots available, I heard from an ENT intern that last year there was only 16

I know for a fact that St John Providence, UMDNJ and St. Barnabas have all sent out some (unsure if all) invitations to interview.

Anyone know the status of any of the other programs? Botsford, DMC, Erie, Ohio programs?

I am assuming PCOM has not yet sent invites.

I think UMDNJ sent them all out because they only had 1 date listed which was supposed to be today, but was cancelled until further notice

Can anyone elaborate on the number of spots available, I heard from an ENT intern that last year there was only 16
I am fairly certain there were 22 spots filled last year.

anybody have a sense how much these programs care about Step 2 scores. would taking Step 2 in late september be too late if you did well on Step 1?

anybody have a sense how much these programs care about Step 2 scores. would taking Step 2 in late september be too late if you did well on Step 1?

I think it would depend on the program and the program director. Interviews start in late October, so you should theoretically have your scores back before then.

Where are all of the 2013 ENT match peeps?

To your motha..

Haha...nice one.
Seriously though...I'd like to know what kind of COMLEX scores I should be aiming to get in order to have a decent shot for Osteo Oto spots

Haha...nice one.
Seriously though...I'd like to know what kind of COMLEX scores I should be aiming to get in order to have a decent shot for Osteo Oto spots

According to the data released for 2011 (the most up-to-date to my knowledge), the mean COMLEX 1 score for matched applicants in AOA oto was 599. Range was 442-700.

An 800 would probably do it.....

Does anyone have any info on the Michigan programs? I'm trying to narrow down which one would be the best to rotate at (H&N exposure, otology, facial plastics, etc).

According to the data released for 2011 (the most up-to-date to my knowledge), the mean COMLEX 1 score for matched applicants in AOA oto was 599. Range was 442-700.

Sweet...what about electives...Can anyone comment on whether I should I start doing Oto electives during 3'rd yr. or during 4'th yr. (when I will hopefully be able to have a better impression on my prospective preceptors)???

Sweet...what about electives...Can anyone comment on whether I should I start doing Oto electives during 3'rd yr. or during 4'th yr. (when I will hopefully be able to have a better impression on my prospective preceptors)???

I did a 2 week ENT rotation during my 3rd year and was able to get a LoR out of it. It's up to you really.

I did a 2 week ENT rotation during my 3rd year and was able to get a LoR out of it. It's up to you really.

Awesome...did you need to have your gen surg. rotation completed PRIOR to doing an Oto elective???

Awesome...did you need to have your gen surg. rotation completed PRIOR to doing an Oto elective???

My school didn't require it, but I could see where other schools may. I did my ENT rotation before I did gen surg. As long as you know know how to put on a gown and gloves, and where your hands should be at all times, then you should be fine. I would recommend you pick up the ENT Secrets book and read it before your 3rd year rotation (definitely before your audition rotations). I didn't, but wish I did.

My school didn't require it, but I could see where other schools may. I did my ENT rotation before I did gen surg. As long as you know know how to put on a gown and gloves, and where your hands should be at all times, then you should be fine. I would recommend you pick up the ENT Secrets book and read it before your 3rd year rotation (definitely before your audition rotations). I didn't, but wish I did.

Nice...I'll deff pick up the secrets book. Thank you so much for your replies/advice.

I find ENT fascinating, but based on reading the above it seems to be extremely competitive with only 20-25 slots...also my pre-clinical grades were mostly C's including a 70 in anatomy and my rank is probably bottom 25% of the class although I do have some research, leadership roles, and volunteering experiences...should I rule out ENT or will good board scores still make me competitive?