osteopathic intern year requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2 Throwz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for feedback from osteopathic surgical residents at ACGME programs in one of the five states requiring an intern year for DO's. I know all about resolution 42 but how do programs look at these applicants in these states without an intern year? Do they tend to avoid matching DO's for fear that there may be difficulty getting full licensure? And how difficult is it to get a surgical intern year approved through the AOA?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also interested in this information. Although I know there are DOs in ACGME surgery residency programs in the states that require an intern year, I've been unable to get in touch with any of them to discuss the matter further. I've also emailed several program coordinator to discuss the matter, but they were all pretty unaware of resolution 42 (despite having osteopathic residents in their program...). Not sure if it's appropriate to start contacting residency program directors directly... I'll be in the 2016 match, so I'd like to start figuring out this info to start setting up aways/auditions/electives, etc.

Reactions: 1 user