Osteopathic Internship Q's... a little help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cowboy DO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on doing an allopathic residency, with any luck, but it will be an advanced position so I'd like to do a DO traditional internship.

I however have no idea what the time line is for that. I just signed up for ERAS and noticed that we were eligible to start applying on 7/15...oops.

I don’t even have a personal statement written yet. How soon do I need to get rolling on this whole thing? I had originally anticipated 9/1 as the opening date but I guess that’s just the allo programs.

Also when is the DO interview season? Does it end earlier? I know the match is about 1 month before the allopathic match.

Thanks for your help.
~CB

Members don't see this ad.

DO interview season tends to be from October-December, which is a bit earlier than the MD season.

I'd get going pretty quickly on your ERAS app. You want to submit as soon as you can. You can add LORs after you submit, btw. Some programs have early application deadlines (ie: where I am the deadline is usually Sept 15)

If you're in your final year of medical school, then it's never too early to start on your personal statement. So basically start ASAP. As far as DO internships go, some will require more work than others depending on the location that you are looking at. For instance, I am doing my internship in Long Island, NY. Getting a rotating internship in Long Island is pretty easy. There are enough spots and not enough people wanting those spots. However, if you are looking at an area where there aren't many programs, then you may have to do more to get the spot and you should get your apps in early.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey OMMFellow,

About how many internships did you apply to and interview at? Also anyone else know if we need to sign up for the NRMP for the osteopathic match or does the AOA take care of it, if it's the AOA how do I go about registering for that?

Thanks

Here is another question for those who have gone through the process:

How do you go about applying for internships & residencies at places that do not have "linked" programs?

OSUdoc08 said:
Here is another question for those who have gone through the process:

How do you go about applying for internships & residencies at places that do not have "linked" programs?

You apply for the internship one year and then the following year apply for residency.

LovelyRita said:
You apply for the internship one year and then the following year apply for residency.

I was told by the director of the Miami AOA programs that you apply for both simultaneously, and are actually accepted into the PGY-2 residency year the same time you are accepted into the PGY-1 internship year. I spoke with him in person at the ACOFP national convention.

Do you need a seperate PS for the Do internships if u are applying for the advanced allo match?

Sanchik said:
Do you need a seperate PS for the Do internships if u are applying for the advanced allo match?

Im only writing one. I am going to add a few lines to the one I submit for the internship though.

OSUdoc08 said:
I was told by the director of the Miami AOA programs that you apply for both simultaneously, and are actually accepted into the PGY-2 residency year the same time you are accepted into the PGY-1 internship year. I spoke with him in person at the ACOFP national convention.
I was told by the dean of 4th year at my school that if accepted to an AOA internship, you are automatically withdrawn from (or not allowed to enter) the NMRP match. If you want to track into an allopathic PGY-2 year, it must be set up outside the match, or you will have to reapply the following year for PGY-2 spots
(some places might not accept the AOA internship as fulfilling their PGY-1 year, and you may only get partial credit for that first year. You will have to check with each residency

I don't think thats true, but can anyone confirm that?

AwesomeO-DO said:
I was told by the dean of 4th year at my school that if accepted to an AOA internship, you are automatically withdrawn from (or not allowed to enter) the NMRP match. If you want to track into an allopathic PGY-2 year, it must be set up outside the match, or you will have to reapply the following year for PGY-2 spots
(some places might not accept the AOA internship as fulfilling their PGY-1 year, and you may only get partial credit for that first year. You will have to check with each residency

Here's how it was explained to me:

As long as your DO match is only for a PGY1 year and all you're ranking in the NRMP is PGY2 spots you get to stay in both.

If you rank and match at a DO residency that is linked, you'll be automatically pulled from the NRMP because you matched to something longer than PGY1.

If you match PGY1 in the DO match, you cannot rank anything PGY1 in the NRMP.

DrMom said:

As long as your DO match is only for a PGY1 year and all you're ranking in the NRMP is PGY2 spots you get to stay in both.

If you rank and match at a DO residency that is linked, you'll be automatically pulled from the NRMP because you matched to something longer than PGY1.

I really hope this is true b/c I'm also planning on doing an osteopathic traditional rotating PGY-1 year and an allopathic PGY-2-4.

Yes, as DrMom says.

When you're applying for programs in ERAS, for DO you apply for a TRI. This is a one-year deal, not linked to anything. I'm pretty sure most DO GME programs have TRI's available. You do have to apply and interview...

The good part is that most of your colleagues are trying for linked programs so finding a TRI is not as competetive. This year after both matches there were many TRI spots open, but they go quick after the matches because unmatched people grab them up.

DrMom said:

so if I match to an DO TRI, and it isn't tracked into anything, and I want to go on to do an allopathic residency the following year I can apply this year for both the TRI and a PGY-2 spot? Do I just ask the residency program if they have the ability to offer a PGY-2 spot in 2 years from now? Also, the residency will be in Med/Peds, which is 4 years, so would that mean I wouldn't be done with residency until 5 years after I graduate?

AwesomeO-DO said:

false

DrMom said:

true

AwesomeO-DO said:
so if I match to an DO TRI, and it isn't tracked into anything, and I want to go on to do an allopathic residency the following year I can apply this year for both the TRI and a PGY-2 spot? Do I just ask the residency program if they have the ability to offer a PGY-2 spot in 2 years from now? Also, the residency will be in Med/Peds, which is 4 years, so would that mean I wouldn't be done with residency until 5 years after I graduate?

Wow, I don't check this thread for a while and so much confusion. Some of the things said previously are true and some aren't. I'll put in my 10 cents and try to address a number of things together.

There are some residencies(pm&r, radiology, anesthesia, etc.) that generally start at PGY2, but require you to apply for and Match a year early. So for example, the Match that passed this year in March. If you wanted a PGY2 position that starts in 2007, you would have applied and went through the Match in 2006 to start the residency in 2007. It is your responsibility to get accepted to a PGY1 position as that is a pre-req for moving on to the residency. For us DOs it's great b/c we can fulfill our AOA osteopathic internship requirement. So basically if you are applying ot one of those residency programs you would apply to both internship and residency positons at the same time.

To confuse things more, there are some programs that will require you to apply for their residency DURING your internship year. So basically you would apply for internship one year, and then go through the hell of applications the very next year for your residency choice.

It becomes your responsiblity to find out what programs require Matching internship and residency the same year and what programs require you to do it during internship.

Now someone mentioned med/peds. I do not believe that it would be a program that required internship first. So if you wanted to do an Osteopathic rotating internship first, then you'd have to apply med/peds DURING internship. Not 100% positive about that, but i'm pretty sure.

What DrMom said is correct. You will be pulled from the allo Match if you matched to an osteopathic spot that would overlap what you are applying allo for.

Applying to linked programs just complicates things. If you have osteopathic and allopathic linked programs, then you have a tough decision. Would you rather wait and possibly not match to an allo or do you want to take the chance of matching osteopathic and possibly not Match to a choice that is higher on your list, but it is allo.

Now getting back to a question asked to me, I applied to 5 internships in New York and I ended up only interviewing at 3 of them b/c I realized that I didn't really want to be at the other programs. I actually didn't go through the Osteopathci Match b/c one of my allo PM&R programs was a 4 year linked program so I took the chance. I didn't Match into that 4 year linked program and ended up scrambling for the current internship spot that I have, which is the spot that I wanted all along anyway. But again, like I said, it's easy to get a spot in Long Island.

Applications for allo and osteo programs is easy, its all on the computer, just point and click, but remember, you're paying to apply to these programs. Registering for both Matches should be explained to you by your school. To register for the osteo match, the school will help you out more than for the allo match. Make sure you keep up with what needs to be done. I believe that it starts with getting a registration number(I already forgot)

Sorry for the long reply, but I wanted to give you guys enough info.

Good Luck and feel free to ask for more info.