Osteopathic Internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TUCOMSam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any DO's out there have any advice for a california osteopathic student trying to decide on where to do an AOA internship?? Preferably in CA, but willing to move almost anywhere for the PM&R residency, so I guess I could move for internship as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Internship year...AOA....will be a tough year. Have people nearby that you can unwind with when you aren't a tireless admitting intern. Just like any field that requires a prelim year, it's hard to be in the same place for internship and residency...(unless of course you ONLY apply in that area or you are THAT good and THAT confident that you will match as you plan).

My priorities were: 1: close to family/friends 2: strength of program 3: nearby "fun" city.

That helps a lot Eddo! Thanks so much!

Eddo's got a good strategy there. Being in California also affords you plenty of recreational activities in many different locales whether it be the city or outdoors. Depending on your priorities, you may want a decent workload during internship so that residency training afterwards won't seem as bad as your internship year. I've heard of some AOA internships (and I'm sure there are some ACGME internships like this) that are more on the posh/chill side... then I saw a PGY-2 resident get flustered starting on in-patient wards partially due to having a lax internship. (Note this is just one specific case and there is definitely a transition period when starting off on inpatient wherever you go)