Osteopathic Internships

Discussion in 'PM&R' started by TUCOMSam, Aug 10, 2006.

1. TUCOMSam

TUCOMSam Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Any DO's out there have any advice for a california osteopathic student trying to decide on where to do an AOA internship?? Preferably in CA, but willing to move almost anywhere for the PM&R residency, so I guess I could move for internship as well.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. eddo

eddo Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Internship year...AOA....will be a tough year. Have people nearby that you can unwind with when you aren't a tireless admitting intern. Just like any field that requires a prelim year, it's hard to be in the same place for internship and residency...(unless of course you ONLY apply in that area or you are THAT good and THAT confident that you will match as you plan).

My priorities were: 1: close to family/friends 2: strength of program 3: nearby "fun" city.

4. TUCOMSam

TUCOMSam Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    That helps a lot Eddo! Thanks so much!

5. melancholy

melancholy 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Eddo's got a good strategy there. Being in California also affords you plenty of recreational activities in many different locales whether it be the city or outdoors. Depending on your priorities, you may want a decent workload during internship so that residency training afterwards won't seem as bad as your internship year. I've heard of some AOA internships (and I'm sure there are some ACGME internships like this) that are more on the posh/chill side... then I saw a PGY-2 resident get flustered starting on in-patient wards partially due to having a lax internship. (Note this is just one specific case and there is definitely a transition period when starting off on inpatient wherever you go)