Osteopathic medical school rankings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ash366

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cant find the newest ranking on osteopathic medical schools. Can you please list them if you have it or know it thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No such thing exists is why.

MD schools are primarily ranked on research funding dollars and that makes no sense for DO schools. If you do a search here, you'll find many discussions on why an attempt to rank DO schools is futile mixed with some pre-meds opinions, most of which include the schools they were accepted to.

Aside from geographical location, the school you chose will have less impact on your future than just about every other thing that happens to you in the next 4 years.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No such thing exists is why.

MD schools are primarily ranked on research funding dollars and that makes no sense for DO schools. If you do a search here, you'll find many discussions on why an attempt to rank DO schools is futile mixed with some pre-meds opinions, most of which include the schools they were accepted to.

Aside from geographical location, the school you chose will have less impact on your future than just about every other thing that happens to you in the next 4 years.
This times a hundred

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a list of DO medical schools you guys recommend because people say I shouldnt apply to a DO school in Arizona. Im not sure why though.

I'm going to throw this thread into the bin with the rest.

pc56E7ycB.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
There are two DO schools in Arizona. People are most likely either advising you against applying to Midwestern University - AZCOM because your MCAT is potentially too low (they like high scores), or maybe they are advising you against applying to AT Still - SOMA because of the uniquely structured curriculum that might not suit everyone. Neither are "bad" schools.

Posting your stats could help others to help you formulate an appropriate school list.

Edit:
Based on your post history, I see you've already done that. So, not sure what answers you're still seeking...

1. The school that's your best fit.
2. The rest.

No such rank exists. For a number of reasons but the one I like is because when you apply to an ACGME residency they're going to clump all DO schools together. It's kinda like ranking the big 4 Caribbean schools against eachother. they're all carribean schools

Why? Rather than acting all smart, enlighten me with your knowledge -_-

Just busting your balls. Go to the bottom and search...you will find enough reading material to tie you over until matriculation.

Or...save your time...
1) every DO school except for LUCOM
2) LUCOM

1) your state school, if you live in a state that has one
2) the school that accepts you and fits what you're looking for curriculum-wise, geographically and financially
3) the school that accepts you and will work with what you're looking for curriculum-wise and/or geographically and/or financially
4) everyone else but LUCOM
5) LUCOM

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
LUCOM can make someone uncomfortable due to its highly religious atmosphere. But if that's my only acceptance, I will go there in a heartbeat.

Nope. AUC falls in the "remainder" category. It's properly termed the "Big 3" according to smarter people than me.
Going to the Caribbean is not a good option at all. But if someone has to go down there, it better be SGU.

OP, I don't mean to come off as harsh. but this thread is sort of pointless. There is no official or formal ranking of DO schools. But I guess you can divide the DO schools into two categories. The DO schools in the first category includes those schools that are established and have a proven record of placing their students into residencies. The DO schools in the second category are the newer schools that haven't even graduated their first class yet like ACOM, Marian, Campbell, Burrell, and maybe LUCOM.

Wouldn't it make sense to loosely rank schools based on the average MCAT/GPA for matriculants?

I don't like that. You want to assess the quality of the school's education/prestige, not how good students are before they start.

If I were going to do it, I would do this:

(1) Initially rank by COMLEX Step 1 pass rates (>95% vs <95%, or some similar cutoff)
(2) Subdivide each of those two categories into "match rate >95%" and "match rate <95%"
(3) Subdivide each category by percentage of students matching to their first-choice specialty
(4) Subdivide apparent "ties" by a subjective assessment of the overall quality of the match lists for graduating residencies

I'm amazed no one has done this yet.

This would be cool, except it seems a lot of DO schools obfuscate/do not publish some of this info, particularly in regards to matching. Even schools that post a "100% match rate" often go on to indicate that they mean "100% of students seeking GME were placed in a position" - so basically who knows. I wish schools would be more transparent about all of the factors you listed.

The fact remains that getting into any osteopathic is extremely competitive.

I don't mean to troll, as it has been established thus far that there isn't a ranking for DO schools but below is what I remember from a similar thread earlier this year. Most of the members pitching in were also saying "this is pointless, but if I were to rank them..." so just take it for what it's worth..

Top: Well established, public, and/or high stats
Ccom
KCOM
Nsucom
PCOM
Nyit
Western
Dmu
Msucom (IS pref)
KCUMB
Osucom (strong IS pref)
Rowan (strong IS pref)
UNECOM (strong IS pref)
TCOM (strong IS Pref)
OU-HCOM (Strong IS pref, OOS must serve in Ohio for 5 years post-grad)

Mid-tier: established with solid record, but not in top
WVSOM
LECOMs
Touros
RVU
Vcom-VA and CC
AZCOM
SOMA
PNWU (don't know enough about this school, so I'm putting it here)

Low/No-Tier: Low stats, low boards/passing/matching, and/or "too new to tell"
Lmu
Wcu
Lucom
ACOM
MUCOM
CUSOM
Kycom
Pcom ga
VCOM-Auburn
Touro-Middletown?
Burrell COM

Reactions: 8 users
I think "100% of students seeking GME were placed" is a valid measure, though still substandard compared to "matched to first choice specialty". You don't want to include drop-outs and failures in pre-clinical years in these equations like you need to do for the Caribs, since everyone who matriculated was presumably actually qualified.

I wonder if the MD schools publish Step pass rates and match rates. I should look up my school.

Good point. I agree it would be valuable to know what percentage of students are matching to their first choice specialty. My thinking re: "100% of students were placed" was not in regards to students who have dropped out/failed (which is highly relevant for the Carib school "placement rates," since we know that there are tons of students who matriculate and never make it to the match), but rather that there is an ambiguous percentage of students who fail to match, but then succeed in getting a "placement" via SOAP or scramble which is likely less ideal/maybe not in a student's first choice specialty, as you have indicated.

I am proud/excited to be matriculating as a DO student this August, but these discussions do make me feel a bit nervous.

Actually, for #1, until this year, or very soon, this sort of info was never distributed, even amongst the COMs,. So I have no way of knowing what the pass rates are for, say,NYITCOM or PCOM.

If the COMs aren't showcasing this info right now, they will be soon, due to a COCA or AOA dictate. It's high time. I beleive match rates are available at AACOMAS.

I don't like that. You want to assess the quality of the school's education/prestige, not how good students are before they start.

If I were going to do it, I would do this:

(1) Initially rank by COMLEX Step 1 pass rates (>95% vs <95%, or some similar cutoff)
(2) Subdivide each of those two categories into "match rate >95%" and "match rate <95%"
(3) Subdivide each category by percentage of students matching to their first-choice specialty
(4) Subdivide apparent "ties" by a subjective assessment of the overall quality of the match lists for graduating residencies

I'm amazed no one has done this yet.

I don't know that you should feel nervous, but it's worthwhile to start thinking about the Match from the outset. Helps you plan for the future.

FWIW - I went to lower-tier MD school with a powerful primary care focus. I was the only person in my class who attempted any kind of surgery, and I'm doing Ortho. So when they say that 90% of it is what you do for yourself, they're not lying.

Thanks for the realism and positivity :)

The one I got accepted to is the best one

tldr: ACOM

1) your state school, if you live in a state that has one
2) the school that accepts you and fits what you're looking for curriculum-wise, geographically and financially
3) the school that accepts you and will work with what you're looking for curriculum-wise and/or geographically and/or financially
4) everyone else but LUCOM
5) LUCOM
You dont prefer LUCOM due to religious views? Thanks

OP, I don't mean to come off as harsh. but this thread is sort of pointless. There is no official or formal ranking of DO schools. But I guess you can divide the DO schools into two categories. The DO schools in the first category includes those schools that are established and have a proven record of placing their students into residencies. The DO schools in the second category are the newer schools that haven't even graduated their first class yet like ACOM, Marian, Campbell, Burrell, and maybe LUCOM.
Hey I wanted to know which schools are better for example, the way they teach or how good the professors are etc. Thats why I asked. For example, in my undergrad I went to Rutgers, the professors thought so highly of themselves just because they had gone to Princeton that they wouldn't even speak to you properly. I just dont want a nightmare like that in a DO school.

You dont prefer LUCOM due to religious views? Thanks

That's the general SDN consensus.

For the record, on a personal level: I have acquaintances who attended Liberty University. They are very intelligent and I respect their beliefs on an individual level, but I don't think the founders of LU should be running a medical school.

Dude. There are no rankings based on how professors teach. From what I've seen most are down to earth.
Research schools, go where you can see yourself being comfortable. You don't need a rank to tell you that.

Rather than look at it in terms of rank there are other things you would want to consider. Here is a list, no particular order.

1) How you fit with the schools. This you find out during the interview and you will see how you fit with the faculty, students, and overall attitude of the school.
2) Cost of attendance. Look at all the costs of attending the school. With compounding interest, it can add up quickly after you graduate.
3) Rotations. Are your rotations at teaching hospitals? If so, how are they organized?
4) Board prep time. How much time do you get to study for COMLEX Level I and Level 2? Can time be added from vacation in 3rd year?
5) Where the school is located. If you are considering research or shadowing, then being located in a city or areas with these opportunities will make this easier.
6) Mandatory attendance. Does your school have this? If so, then sucks to be you.
7) Elective rotations. Does your school have 2 or 3? Or does it have 5 or more? This is helpful to know especially if you are matching into competitive residencies where a letter of rec. from a known PD or chair is vital.

There are others, but this list is more important than how the school is ranked. For instance, the difference between KCU or DMU is very minuscule in my mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Rather than look at it in terms of rank there are other things you would want to consider. Here is a list, no particular order.

1) How you fit with the schools. This you find out during the interview and you will see how you fit with the faculty, students, and overall attitude of the school.
2) Cost of attendance. Look at all the costs of attending the school. With compounding interest, it can add up quickly after you graduate.
3) Rotations. Are your rotations at teaching hospitals? If so, how are they organized?
4) Board prep time. How much time do you get to study for COMLEX Level I and Level 2? Can time be added from vacation in 3rd year?
5) Where the school is located. If you are considering research or shadowing, then being located in a city or areas with these opportunities will make this easier.
6) Mandatory attendance. Does your school have this? If so, then sucks to be you.
7) Elective rotations. Does your school have 2 or 3? Or does it have 5 or more? This is helpful to know especially if you are matching into competitive residencies where a letter of rec. from a known PD or chair is vital.

There are others, but this list is more important than how the school is ranked. For instance, the difference between KCU or DMU is very minuscule in my mind.

I agree with this totally. First apply broadly, because that is what you need to do to better your chances to get in. If you are lucky and get multiple invites go to all of them that you can afford. Then if you are really lucky and get the opportunity to choose from multiple invites you can try and figure out which school fits for you. Otherwise you will will get to go to the school that accepts you and you will make the best of it like the rest of the world. It's only four years and then it doesn't matter anymore.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a list of DO medical schools you guys recommend because people say I shouldnt apply to a DO school in Arizona. Im not sure why though.
it's hot

Hey I wanted to know which schools are better for example, the way they teach or how good the professors are etc. Thats why I asked. For example, in my undergrad I went to Rutgers, the professors thought so highly of themselves just because they had gone to Princeton that they wouldn't even speak to you properly. I just dont want a nightmare like that in a DO school.

This is flawed reasoning for the following reasons:

1) People learn in very different ways, so one professor's teaching style may be amazing for some people and terrible to others.

2) Every school has great and mediocre professors. It's just like undergrad. No med school will have across the board terrible professors and no med school will have across the board great professors.

3) The curriculum at every school varies a LOT. As in at some schools the curriculum is heavily based on lecturing, making the quality of professors very important, whereas at others its a minor aspect of the curriculum.

4) No matter what med school you go to, no matter what the curriculum, 90%+ of what you learn is on you. There isn't enough time for professors to teach you everything you need to know, so a lot of it is you getting a brief outline from the professor and studying for hours on end on your own. That's med school. It's not like undergrad or high school.

The most important things to look at are location/cost, board pass rates, match rates, rotation sites, and rotation freedom in 4th year. Beyond that, it's all meaningless.

I went to Rutgers too, and I had the opposite experience. I believe with any large institution, your hand cannot be held all the way. You have to go out of your way to get things done. Rutgers does offer a lot for you if you're willing to go the extra mile and search for it.

I went to Rutgers too, and I had the opposite experience. I believe with any large institution, your hand cannot be held all the way. You have to go out of your way to get things done. Rutgers does offer a lot for you if you're willing to go the extra mile and search for it.

I went to New Brunswick campus by the way. I completely agree with you and I'm not saying all of the professors were like that. There was only 4 professors that was like that. The others were very nice. If you had Dr. Deis, then you will know what I mean. One day I was sick and went to hospital and I had emailed his secretary the hospital papers 3 times yet he emailed me saying I am a liar. It was shocking. That's why after that experience I'm afraid I don't run into those professors.

I went to New Brunswick campus by the way. I completely agree with you and I'm not saying all of the professors were like that. There was only 4 professors that was like that. The others were very nice. If you had Dr. Deis, then you will know what I mean. One day I was sick and went to hospital and I had emailed his secretary the hospital papers 3 times yet he emailed me saying I am a liar. It was shocking. That's why after that experience I'm afraid I don't run into those professors.

I went to New Brunswick campus too. I never had Dr. Deis. I had someone else for Biochemistry (I forgot his name.) I also had Dr. Alice Liu for Molecular Biology. She was the best.

There will always be some bad apples at any college or university. I used ratemyprofessors which definitely helps when you choose classes.

Last edited: