osteopathic NSG--need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lase42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
if anybody has time to answer some questions from a pre-clerkship medical student, please PM me--i'd like to stay anonymous as best i can.

thanks everyone; i really appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I would try to apply MD. Rumor mill is that none of the AOA programs will make the cut. The AOA does not care much about preserving the subspecialties as much as its primary care residencies. If they do make the cut they likely won't be board certified by the MD accrediting body which will put you at a huge disadvantage when applying for jobs

I would try to apply MD. Rumor mill is that none of the AOA programs will make the cut. The AOA does not care much about preserving the subspecialties as much as its primary care residencies. If they do make the cut they likely won't be board certified by the MD accrediting body which will put you at a huge disadvantage when applying for jobs

Interesting. Where did you hear this information? What do you mean they won't be board certified if they convert to ACGME? I have not heard of anything to this degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. Where did you hear this information? What do you mean they won't be board certified if they convert to ACGME? I have not heard of anything to this degree.

AANS meeting

All osteopathic residencies have their own board accrediting bodies. Even if the merger takes place this does not guarantee board certification (FAANS). In order to sit/qualify for the boards you have to meet specific criteria. This will be a big issue once all the dust settles. I know for a fact (and this is why I didn't bother applying for AOA residencies) that most surgical subspecialty AOA Residencies don't meet the ACGME criteria, especially in neurosurgery. The one program that did meet the criteria was already converted into an MD program (IE Long Island Jewish) two years ago and now they only seem to be matching MD students. The remaining programs are far from meeting the standards which is why they have not been offered a deal. Ask any AOA resident and they will tell you that they are constantly denied membership to all the major societies (CNS, AANS). It's these very same societies that determine the criteria for ACGME certification. This stigma will continue. Its not worth it to apply to an AOA residency at this point.

I would talk specifically to AOA residents to see if they feel this way.

The reason DO residents and DO Neurosurgeons cannot become AANS and CNS members is because the bylaws of the societies state you must be ABNS board eligible or board certified and DO Neurosurgeons are certified through the ACOS. It is a BIG deal to change 50+ year old societies bylaws...

There is no point in spreading rumors and hoopla as the major discussions of what IS this merger haven't been hashed out yet. You should decide yourself if you want to be a neurosurgeon or not.... and stop wasting your time on here.

I guarantee >2 programs will become ACGME that are currently AOA.

The reason DO residents and DO Neurosurgeons cannot become AANS and CNS members is because the bylaws of the societies state you must be ABNS board eligible or board certified and DO Neurosurgeons are certified through the ACOS. It is a BIG deal to change 50+ year old societies bylaws...

There is no point in spreading rumors and hoopla as the major discussions of what IS this merger haven't been hashed out yet. You should decide yourself if you want to be a neurosurgeon or not.... and stop wasting your time on here.

Which ones?

these boards are notorious for spreading misinformation about AOA neurosurgery.

if you are serious about neurosurgery, contact programs directly. ACGME and ABNS have put forth a good amount of information about the merger. wheels are already in motion at multiple AOA programs to adjust to the merger.

Reactions: 1 user
Most of the programs will be closing down in the upcoming years, unfortunately.