Osteopathic school/student documentary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brennan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone starting this august or that is already a med student...what do you think of this idea?
Getting students and schools to do a documentary (film) on the themselves..It could include:
-the history of osteopathic medicine
-give tours of the 19 schools
-introduce you to and show you the life of the students M1-M4
-show a traditional internship
-show residencies
-and also show todays DO's, their lives and practices.

This could be like a PBS thing or something and could give good publicity and recognition to the osteopathic profession.
What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Brennan,

I think this would be a great idea. I think you have in mind that show on PBS by NOVA about tracing medical school lives.

I totally agree that there should be a documentary on Osteopathic Medical students in order to give some insight into our profession. I am starting at NSUCOM this august. I would be more than happy to be a test subject for our school. E-mail at: [email protected]

AJC :D

AWESOME idea folks....if we can contact the AOA and get them in on it, i think that it might get somewhere....PLUS it shows that the students want to be involved in the advancement of DO's.....count me in for CCOM!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, count me in. I think it would be a great way for witness osteopathic medicine from the comforts of their couch. Seriously, I think the people who watch public television would make the perfect audience for such a show.

Count me in too, for AZCOM 2005. I wonder if this thread could be sent to the AOA public affairs/publicity office? Who would shoot the documentary, and how would they be contacted and pursuaded to be interested in it?

Count me in for DMU Class of 2005.... I was actually comprehending about some similar documentation.... :D

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I wrote to Mary Pagaduan and Mike Campea that both work at the Media and Press Release office for the AOA asking for their input on this documentary. I will forward their response to you as soon as I hear from them.

Have a good night ya'll!

AJC.... you ROCK!!! ROCK ON!!! Let us know, this sure will help with the PR of AOA!!! :cool:

Which way to wardrobe and makeup?

Hi Guys,

Here is the response to the letter I wrote to Mary and Mike at Media and Press Release over at the AOA. I am writing to to PBS to follow up with them on our intended project.

Dear Alberto,

Thank you for contacting the AOA and congratulations on your acceptance to
Nova Southeastern.

I haven't heard about the documentary on PBS but did go on PBS' Web site to
find out more about this program. The first program was broadcast back in
1995. I don't think it would hurt to contact PBS to see if they'd be
interested in following osteopathic medical students.

In the mid 90s, the AOA did work with PBS for a segment "Spotlight On:
Osteopathic Medicine" which gave a general overview about the profession and
featured a few DOs including the AOA president at the time. However, I
believe this was something the AOA had to fund and I know we wouldn't be in
the position to fund such a project today since we're in the midst of the
national advertising campaign.

Let me look into this a little bit more, and I'll be in touch. I'll be out
of the office on business beginning tomorrow and will return on Tues so it
may take me a week or two to get back to you. If you need to get in touch
with me, you can reach me at the 800 number listed below. Thanks again!

Sincerely,
Mary Ann M. Pagaduan
Public Relations Manager
1.800.621.1773, ext. 8040
312.202.8340 fax
D.O.s: Physicians Treating People, Not Just Symptoms.

This is such a great idea! what a way to educate people about the differences and similarities betweent the two types of physicians! I know I have explained to my circle, as I am sure you have, so this would extend that knowledge to those who aren't related to an osteopathic student! Let me know if I can help!

John
KCOM 05 :)

Acaban... way to go, your a hussler
So far with just us who responded we have covered 7 of the 19 schools.
WVSOM - Brennan
NSUCOM - Acaban
CCOM - Ebola
KCOM - KCOM2005, John DO
AZCOM - Muonwhiz
DMU - Popoy
LECOM - LisaP

OK, i guess everyone read what Mary from AOA said..they are in the midst of a national advertising campaign and she knows they wouldn't be able to fund it....well you know what i say, if ya cant start at the top than claw your way up from the bottom..heres what i mean:
we will have to start at the individual schools and see what help we can get. Our schools each have student organizations and an alumni organization. These all have some funds that could be available. And also if your school is affiliated with a university or a college than there is a good chance they will have some kind of media department with equipment that can be used for free (and also some film students who may be anxious to do a film, for free, just for the experience)...if not than im sure that some med students will have access to high quality recording devices.
Both of these ideas only require time and a little money for film. We can focus on filming our schools (and our classes and students) this year and than next summer get our films together and splice together a sampling. This could than be presented as a part of the documentary. If we get all 19 schools involved than we will attacted alot of attention. The other parts like the history, internship, residency, todays DO's (the navy's top doc is a DO), our philosophy and the such could all be done at a later date with the help of the AOA (and/or we could use some of the old film from 1995 with it).
There is a lot for us to do....first we need to get an individual from each school and secure that each has a method to film. My father has a high quality mini DV recorder (state of the art, but he doesnt know how to use it and hates it,--he won it, so he is not attached to it) that i can have and would be willing to use and let other schools use.
And we also need to have an outline, objective, and i guess kinda of a format so each school will have film shoots with the same themes.
I'll talk to the different life shows and see what kind of suggestions and/or help they can offer...maybe we can get some interested in us.
If anyone wants to email me its [email protected]

Let me know what you come up with Brennan. I hope that I can contribute. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Homer J...you just did help us....you let us now have interest from 8 of the 19 schools...
If you have any ideas than just post them...when we get a few more schools we can all trade email addresses and communicate from there.

Question.... I'm all game for this, but if we film ourselves then how are we going to be able to concentrate on our work?.... meaning, we'll be holding the camera and going around campus.... I was hoping that it would be someone else filming while I go through my daily life.... seems easier to move that way.... I'll check with DMU regarding any type of PR and funding.... I'll get back to you folks on that one....

Did anyone get a chance to contact the PBS folks? I'm sure they'll be more than happy to send a camera crew with the interest of PBS, of course, otherwise they won't....

This sounds exciting if it falls through....

Keep everyone posted on everyone's progress.... Later peeps :cool:

Hey Guys,

I wanted to let you know that I contacted PBS and spoke with one of their regional producers which happens to be close to our school NSUCOM.

He was not familiar with the NOVA production of "becoming a Doctor" but he allowed me to give him a brief history on the difference b/w osteopthic med and allopathic med and some of the social stigma that encouter in contemporary times.

He really liked the idea of having osteo. med students followed from their first day of school. However since most of us on are a timeline and starting school this august, he suggested we expidte the proposal process for the documentary. The proposal process is located at the pbs site at: http://www.pbs.org/producers/proposal/index.html

Ther producer I spoke with is:
Gustavo Sagastume
Vice President, Programming
PBS, South
2040 Sherman Street
Hollywood, FL 33020
phone: (954) 929-0993
fax: (954) 929-8440
[email protected]

What he did say that seems most realistic is that the proposal process can take from 30-60days to get approval from the big people at PBS. So that in the mean time we should submit the proposal but look for local production companies that have the equipment to film us. Have a film editing company put all the films together and then submit it to PBS and they will probably be more than willing to air it.

He gave me a lot of good leads on how to contact local production companies, I just dont know what would be the best approach to organizing such a big project.

I agree with Poppy that we should not have to be the one's filming ourselves as we will be really busy with our own classes and school related activities.

I still think that at a small level we can still get the ball rolling. We just need to setup a centralized area that we can set a uniform standard on what to tape how to tape it. We can eventually put it all together and see if we can get some air time for it.

Let me know what you guys think.

I guess this idea should have started earlier but I don't think any of us have any experience regarding proposal writing for a documentary.... At least I don't.... I don't even know where to begin to write.... Who's gonna take this one up?

As for local companies to film, do you think contacting the local PBS about this would be an idea or would they tell me the same thing as they have told you? (ie. submit a proposal).

Hey Popoy:

I think what he ment was for to contact the film department at a local university and tell them that you have this great opportunity for their film students to put together a portion of a large documentary about following osteo. medical students. That way you get the labor (film students) and their equipment to follow you. I think that this is what the producer was evading to.

I am still not sure what would be the best way to get this going. So if anyone out there has some suggestions, we are all ears!

I also do not have any expereince writing proposals, but I would not mind giving a wack at it and then we could proof read it among all of us.

What do you guys think? Or does anyone else really want to write up the proposal?

This sounds cool. I can see it all now: "Real World - Osteopathic"

Chalk up another for DMU

AJC, you got my vote to write up the proposal.... I'll be more than happy to look things over.

Hi all,
I think this is a great idea! Count me in for MSU-COM class of 2005. This would give great exposure to Osteopaths. Email me with any details : [email protected]
and I will keep checking here for any updates!
- Kari MSU-COM 2005

How exactly do you set up the format? For arguments sake, lets say that you are successful at getting film students to participate. Should they just follow you from class to class? Should they show the anatomy lab? What about after class? How do you film someone studying for hours? How long: weeks, months years? How do you coordinate all this film from every different osteo school?

I guess the first question to ask is what do we want the audience to learn from this; i.e., what is the point?

I have a friend who is a very good writer and has his own radio show. He had to come up with a proposal in order to get his show approved. I will run this by him to see what he thinks.

One more thing, if we were to find people to film, they can't just show up to class or where ever. How do you go about getting permission to allow them to film?

PS -
I just emailed the film prof at MSU and told him of the idea. I'll keep you posted if/when I get a reply from him.
- Kari :)

I, too, have just emailed the public relations of DMU and getting some ideas from her. I'll let you know when I will be meeting with her or if she responds.

HomerJ has many good points here.... We're all shooting in the dark.

I have searched through Nova Online website and found the name of the producers of "Survivor MD" which chronicled med students in their journey to become docs for fourteen years now.... But there's no way of contacting them. If you have any way please do so.

Here are the names of the producer, co-producer, etc:
Michael Barnes, producer, "Survivor M.D."
Julie Crawford, co-producer, "Survivor M.D."
Massachusetts General Hospital:
Dr. Michelle Finkel
Dr. Jonathan Fisher
Nicole Gustin
Dr. Steven R. Kanner
Dr. David Tancredi

If we can get a hold of these people, maybe, just maybe, we ask for a copy of the proposal or even convince them to take the time to do a documentary on osteopathic med students.... I will keep trying....

I'm not sure if this will fly but it's worth the shot.... Good luck everyone....

Alright, I just emailed WGBH in Boston, MA which helped NOVA create the "Survivor MD."

I'm not sure whether or not they'll respond but I'll let you folks know.

I can't seem to find a contact for NOVA other than WGBH in Boston.... IF you folks know of anyway to get a hold of those people who made the documentary of those Harvard students.... let us know and I'm sure someone's going to pursue it.....

My bad.... I found it... if you folks would want to email NOVA regarding the matter their contact info is: [email protected]

Which I already did as well.... I figure if many email then they'll take notice.

The PR person in charge at DMU-OMC, L. VandenBosch, is more than willing to help us and will spread the potential project to other administrators and faculy at DMU.

She suggested to contact AOA and AACOM, one of which was already contacted by AJC. Here they are again along with a small part of email that Ms. VandenBosch to me:

Mary Ann Pagaduan
Public Relations Manager, AOA
[email protected]

Cathleen Kearns
Director of Member Services, AACOM
[email protected]

Mary Ann and Cathleen may be able to offer some suggestions and/or point you in the best direction for pursuing this on a national level. At the very least, I'm sure they will appreciate being informed of such an undertaking.

Furthermore, the reason she feels that AOA and AACOM is to be involve is because this potential project may involve different schools... I wonder what will happen if it's concentrated on one school alone (i.e. like they did for "Survivor MD" -Harvard Univ)?

That's it for now.... I've emailed the above people as well again, I'll keep everyone posted that might be reading this thread....

I know we all have a lot of questions.
First things first though.
Contact your schools student advisor and ask them about filming at the school....we have to make sure we are able to film and have permission---i have just contacted mine (WVSOM) and await an answer..i will keep everyone posted about what they say.
Second--contact a local university or college or production company that has the ability and students (or other personel) to film a documentary....i have contacted several schools in WV (WVU, Marshall U, and Fairmont State college about it and again i wait for a reply.
Third- we now have interest from 10 schools, thats better than half, so i say we should go for it.
For the proposal...hmmm....we have to have a format of the program we intend to create...My thought was not just on the students but on the entire profession....see my first post....the part we will be dealing with is the real world student part..if we get it put together than the rest will have to be done with the AOA so they have control of how it is set up and presented...I do not think a film crew needs to follow students ever day but every couple of weeks or so they come in and get real time photage..also they can come in on special occasions...
I also do not think it should be a comparison to MD's....i think we should just focus on what we do and what we are, i dont think we even need to mention them..we just talk about our lives as physicians and students..
a rough outline of the total program:
1) DO's history (important figures and times)
2) The 19 schools of Osteopathic medicine..where they are and a little about their individual history and program.
3) Todays osteopathic students m1-m4---this is our part--which will include a lot of photage that can be used for this program and the program that focuses on med students. (which now should include osteopathic students)--this can be an ongoing program.
4) Traditional internships and residencies--this will come later for us, or if we get big support before we get there than it can be done by others---this can be on going and can overlap into the programs on tv that follow just MD's now.
5) todays osteopathic physicians--this will follow some of the lives and careers of our doctors who are out there working hard...it can show our traditional students who use omm, and the ones who chose to specialize.
6) The AOA and the future of osteopathic medicine.

We will only be focusing on #3 for right now. The other stuff can be worked out later and with the proper people of AOA and/or PBS. If we do a good job on this student part and get interest to put a big several episode osteopathic show together, it can open the door for us to be included in other shows......and even if the big picture doesnt work out, than at least we can have film of our students that can be used on shows...maybe just a show on our students. There is a lot of ways this can go.
acaban---does this info help on creating a proposal.....if we start with a big idea with a lot of ideas it might give them more to work with (they might like some and not other ideas...but a least they have a good bit to pick from)

Now for an idea for our part: Do you all think it would be a good idea to film some of ourselves before we start.....A big question could be "What is an osteopathic student?"...that could lead into introducing different students with different backgrounds...show where they are from, what they do, and show our diverisity as a student body....example: for me, i grew up in west virginia..my family has a farm and a dirt race track, and a automobile dealership....so it could put print on the screen about where im at and show the people i know and the things i do...it would than end with scrolling through each of us students and saying "osteopathic students are" and than we each pop on the screen and say (like at the end of the breakfast club, how they described themselves) what we are. I know this may not sound right to all of you but for me i would probably say a hillbilly....---the rest of you would say something that describes yourself (hey everyone should describe themselves a little bit on this post, so we can get to know each other..like sex, race, religion, lifestyle, undergrade, where home is, and etc)...this will allow people of all different kinds to relate to us as people......from there we could go into our moving to school, our apartments, our schools...white coat ceremony..... classes...why we are where we are....meeting other students...etc...
Well im sure i typed way to much..everyone what do you think and what ideas do you have?

I'll type my bio later, my fingers are tired right now lol

Popoy...good going.....should we come up with a universal email that each of us could sign and send saying we are willing to work on this project and what school we are attenting...that way they know there are a lot of students from a lot of schools interested.
Hey everyone: put your email address on this post so we can start emailing each other...
[email protected] is mine.....

Brennan, I'd rather keep my anonymity for the moment.... I'm always in SDN and you can always reach me via "my profile."

If it comes down that things will follow through then I'm definitely in.... Don't worry about that....

New news.... The Public Relations of DMU has now informed the CAO and other "head honchos" of this idea. It will be considered.... Apparently, this idea seems great to them....

Another funny thing is that it would be easier if it's a documentary of one school.... I had made a hypothetical suggestion regarding doing it in one school alone and guess what.... It's a whole different story....

If it's in one school alone, AOA is not needed just that particular institution.... Apparently, it would be easier to do it in one medical school....

Here's food for thought:

How about having the schools do a documentary based on their individual schools then compile them later if necessary with the blessing of AOA and AACOM?

:cool:

Popoy,
yeah it would be easier to do individual schools....and the way we are going about it, we would each be doing our individual schools, and then take it from there....after the films are done at the end of this school year, we could decide where to go from there.....but what i am looking at doing is not for individual schools or individual people but for the osteopathic community as a whole...we can start small and do our individual schools, if we do a good job at putting everything together next summer than maybe the AOA and others will be interested...we still need to have a similiar format for all of us so our films could be put together and have similiar themes and events.
So everyone should get in touch with their individual schools about the idea and see how their school views it....
NSU-COM acaban
C-COM Ebola
K-COM KCOM2005 - John DO
AZCOM Muonwhiz
DMU-COM Popoy - kidterrific
LECOM LisaP
TCOM HomerJ
WVSOM Brennan
MSU-COM Kari
WU-COM Aecuenca
I still think that you should approach your school with the view that this is a colaborated effort between students of many schools that will benefit the school and the whole profession.
Tell me what you all think?

I'll go ahead and inform them of doing a collaboration with other schools....

BTW, AOA contact person "Mary" is out of town till end of June.... so she could be coming back.... Later....

Can we start brain storming things regarding what type of things that maybe included into this possible documentary?

I was thinking on the lines of including:
- Orientation
- White Coat Ceremony
- Anatomy
- Student Hang out/Student Lounge

Later y'all.... Please put forth your input so we can get this thing going.... Thanx

Here's another idea for thought: instead of everyone contacting their schools, local filming or university film students, etc. why not try to run the project from one central source? It seems like the SOMA (Student Osteopathic Medical Association) might be such a central source and a way to coordinate all of the activities for the student portion of the project.

muonwhiz... that's already an idea I'm exploring thanks to Kidterrific.... I think it might just work... I'm getting in touch with the officers at DMU.... I'll let you folks know what they think... try and contact your local SOMA chapters as well....

Good idea muonwhiz!!!

This is an awesome idea! Add me to the list for LECOM! :D

I would also be interested. I am going into my second year, however. My questions are what will be the outcome of these documentaries after they are done by each individual school. What could they be used for if the "big" idea never comes to fruition. Also it would be good to have a standard proposal to present to your local faculty. It would also be good to have a more clear direction as far as who needs to be talked to and in what order.

e-mail me with the details [email protected]
OSU-COM 2004

If the videos from each school were not used in a TV documentary, they could be edited to provide a recruitment tool. They could be used with medical students who visit college campuses to recruit. They could also be produced en masse and mailed out to the premed advisors at targeted institutions for later viewing by their pre med clubs. I'm sure they could also be used for other purposes, but these came immediately to mind. One of the posters above also had a good idea in that some of the faculty should also be interviewed (but not right after grading exams).

We are going to each do this at a local level, so we each have to make contacts....heres ideas of what to do.....You want to contact your schools PR person...i did at WVSOM and i got a great response. They want me to speak with the president of the college first, they said if he likes the idea than he will open the doors to all the departments. I also found out that WVSOM has a media person and he can help and would be the individual to work with for filming. Your school may also have a person with similiar skills, that could be in charge of the production.
Also i was contacted by an active member of our schools SOMA (Michael Robie, thanks for emailing me) and he said liked the idea and wants to help...he is a second year student and knows a lot of people, and also believes that this is a project SOMA should be in...
As for what can be done with these films...If the big project comes through than it is an episode about osteopathic students lives...if the big project does not work out, than like muonwhiz they can be used as PR tools by the school....they could be used on real life shows (or generate interest and attract these shows to us) that show medical students---since most of these shows only show MD's, this would be a great way to be introduced to the main stream. The films could also be used with PBS on a local level for a special about the states osteopathic school, students, and doctors(your local SOMA chapter and school could help)...
DO's need to get in the media, the public seeing our lives and profession is what will give us recognition.
I hope this has helped. As things progress i will keep everyone posted.

Jmor702, thanks for replying...that makes 11 out of 19 schools..---OH YEAH----....
You are right...we need to have a standard proposal...i will work on one and put it on a word file and email it to everyone...we can change and modify it than...anyone else who wants to, should do one to...we can combine them and get done quicker.
---Contact your schools PR office and then the President of the college..they are the first people to start with...Also get ahold of the student at your school who is in charge of your local SOMA.

I've contact my school's PR and they too want me to meet with the president and vice president.... I need a proposal.... Please send me a copy of your proposal via my private message.... Then I'll get back to you... otherwise, I'll be attempting to try and make one.... I hope ;)

Brennan, check your "my profile" I sent you something.... :cool:

Hi all,
I contacted the film department at MSU, and they are interested. I still need to contact the PR person to get an overall ok. I'm not exactly sure who to contact, since MSU is huge. I plan on getting in touch with our admissions director to see her thoughts. I will also contact MSU's SOMA chapter, and as soon as anyone has a proposal let me know.
- Kari :)

I am working on a proposal and should have a rough draft done tuesday july 3rd. I will post it and everyone can add, subtract or edit it as they see fit in order for us to have a final proposal.

Brennan.... You the MAN!!! :D

Here's the response I got from AOA's PR:

Thank you for your message, and I have heard from another student (from Nova Southeastern) about this idea.

I wasn't familiar with the documentary that followed students at an allopathic institution so I checked the Web site for PBS, and it looks like this original program aired in 1995. I don't think it hurts to see if they'd be interested in doing another documentary for osteopathic medical students. You mentioned that you contacted PBS, NOVA and WGBH. Could you send me copies of your correspondence to them?

Also, I wanted to mention that in the mid-90s, the AOA did work with PBS for a segment "Spotlight On: Osteopathic Medicine" which gave a general overview about the profession and included interviews with a few D.O.s including the AOA president at the time. However, this was a project the AOA had to fund.

Due to tight budgets and being in the middle of a national advertising campaign, the AOA isn't in the position to fund such a project today.

We will look into this a bit more, and I'll be in touch. Thanks again for your message and your interest in spreading the word about the osteopathic profession. One of our department's main goals is to increase
awareness of D.O.s and osteopathic medicine, and it's encouraging to see that you and
your fellow classmates are committed to achieving this goal as well.

Sincerely,
Mary Ann

Mary Ann M. Pagaduan
Public Relations Manager
American Osteopathic Association
1.800.621.1773, ext. 8040
312.202.8340 fax
D.O.s: Physicians Treating People, Not Just Symptoms.

It seems like, from the email response, that AOA is out of the loop....

I have yet to get a response from PBS, WGBH, or NOVA.... So I'll keep everyone posted.

Brennan, did you finish that proposal... With your permission, I'd like to show it to DMU's PR and get this ball rolling....

Do you guys have anyone from PCOM yet? If not...I would love to be a part of this. Email me at [email protected] :D

Popoy, Acaban, ebola95, kcom2005, johnDO, muonwhiz, kidterrific, lisap, DOtobe, homerj, kyoung, aecuena, and jmor702. I hope i did not forget anyone. I have received reply's today which i want to share with everyone.
This is from the student affairs office at WVSOM
*Hi Teddy, wow, it sounds like you guys have *a great idea. The answers to
*your questions, I think, involve the *Communications Office (PR and
*publications) and the contact would be Mr. *John Manchester and also the
*Medical Production Manager, Mr. Rich *McMahan (all AV and technical
*production - he did our last school video). *First, though, I think I would
*present the idea to Dr. Jones, our *president, as he is the one who must give
*permission initially. If he is sold on the *project he can open the doors to
*the other departments for you. Let me know *how things are going -I'll look
*forward to seeing you when school starts. *Dr. Thompson
This is an email from the president of my osteopathic college, about talking to him about the idea.
*Dear Edward: I appreciate your e-mail and *look forward to chatting with you when
*you arrive on campus.
*Olen Jones, Jr., President
The next email involved ideas from some of us here and a Michael Robbie from my school. You all talked about SOMA being involved, so i found the president of SOMA and emailed him. (and luck have it he is a MSIV at WVSOM) this is what he replied
*Edward,

*I think that your idea is a very good one. *You actually contacted me at a good time. *SOMA's National Board and Board of Trustees *will be meeting in Chicago next week for *our annual Mid-Year Board Meeting. I will *discuss your ideas with them and get back *in touch with you when I return on July *16. Congradulations on coming to WVSOM. *It is a great school. I have loved my time *here. It was a little bit of culture shock *for me at first as I am from Mississippi *and had never been to the mountains before *or actually seen snow for that matter. I *will be at the clinic doing a FM rotation *and on campus taking boards in August when *you arrive so if things work out we can get *together then and work out some details if *not sooner. I will talk to you soon.
*Sincerely,
*Craig Warren, MSIV (WVSOM 2002)
*OMM Fellow
*National SOMA President

I am working on a general proposal that we can all use to give to our schools and also to SOMA. I'll have it posted tonight (it may suck, b/c i was a biology major and sucked at english. But it will be something hopefully we can polish up and make presentable)