Osteopathic Schools GPA Calculation?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wheatbar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to begin a post-bac premed program and am currently finishing up a science course (introductory astronomy) that may or may not go so well. My question is regarding whether or not this will affect (or count for) my science/bcpm GPA when I apply to D.O. programs. I plan to apply to M.D. and D.O. programs, but for M.D. applications my understanding is that this will not count towards the "science" or bcpm GPA but just my overall GPA. However, for osteopathic programs I'm not so sure. Do D.O. schools calculate a "science" or bcpm GPA in the same way as M.D. schools and AMCAS? Will this course count towards my science GPA when I apply to D.O. programs? If so, I may need to retake it =(

Also, what are the major differences if any besides the retake policy for D.O. and M.D. schools? My understanding is that D.O. schools replace the old grade while M.D. programs do not. Are there any other differences?

Members don't see this ad.

yeah astronomy does count toward your science GPA for DO schools, and i think MD schools too but i'm not positive about that

Run a search for posts by "Excelsius". This user has a link in the signature listing all science and non-science classes for DO and MD applications.