Osteopathic SMPs with linkage after not getting in once?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chimokines37

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didnt get in this cycle and will be applying next cycle, in the one year application cycle I was thinking of doing an SMP at a DO school that has linkage. Does anyone know of any good ones with strong linkage?

My stats are 3.4 ish undergrad GPA, and should have about 3.6-3.7 grad GPA from the program I'm in now. My MCAT is a 26.

Members don't see this ad.

What was your school list for this application cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didnt get in this cycle and will be applying next cycle, in the one year application cycle I was thinking of doing an SMP at a DO school that has linkage. Does anyone know of any good ones with strong linkage?

My stats are 3.4 ish undergrad GPA, and should have about 3.6-3.7 grad GPA from the program I'm in now. My MCAT is a 26.
Why do you think you didn't get in this cycle? Your numbers seem ok for at least some of the schools. Did you apply super late?

Why do you think you didn't get in this cycle? Your numbers seem ok for at least some of the schools. Did you apply super late?

I had two interviews, the first one I messed up because of nerves but the second went well though I still didn't get in. I got feedback and they said low mcat and low volunteering hours.

I'm working to get more volunteering now and as for the mcat I may try to take it at the end of summer though time is very limited so I'm not sure if I can. I also have a couple drinking reports from my undergrad 5 years ago so maybe that factored in as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I had two interviews, the first one I messed up because of nerves but the second went well though I still didn't get in. I got feedback and they said low mcat and low volunteering hours.

I'm working to get more volunteering now and as for the mcat I may try to take it at the end of summer though time is very limited so I'm not sure if I can. I also have a couple drinking reports from my undergrad 5 years ago so maybe that factored in as well.

Yah, part of me thinks that that was your biggest red flag - the fact that it wasn't just one, but a couple. I don't think a SMP would be your best shot to get an acceptance, those are mostly for low gpa's and yours are about average. Your school list was a little top heavy mcat wise; several of those school are at a 28+ average.

How many hours of volunteering do you have currently?

These programs are a dime-a-dozen. Offhand, try PCOM, Western, LECOM and TUNCOM.

These programs are a dime-a-dozen. Offhand, try PCOM, Western, LECOM and TUNCOM.

Thanks, I will look into these. Do you think this is a good idea for the coming year or would you advise differently?

Yah, part of me thinks that that was your biggest red flag - the fact that it wasn't just one, but a couple. I don't think a SMP would be your best shot to get an acceptance, those are mostly for low gpa's and yours are about average. Your school list was a little top heavy mcat wise; several of those school are at a 28+ average.

How many hours of volunteering do you have currently?

I have a little less than 100 clinical and around 30 shadowing. Working on hospital application right now to get my clinical volunteering up and will probably volunteer through the summer.

You can spend a year taking classes and spending thousands of dollars on an SMP program, or you can spend a year volunteering and studying to retake the MCAT. Both of them would probably result in you getting into medical school. One of them would cost dramatically less money. The ball is in your court.

Reactions: 1 users
As someone who completed an SMP, I would advise you not to go the SMP route.

As a Masters student -> incoming D.O at LMU-DCOM, I would recommend looking into the program here. Your stats though seem pretty fair for D.O schools. How early did you submit?

You can spend a year taking classes and spending thousands of dollars on an SMP program, or you can spend a year volunteering and studying to retake the MCAT. Both of them would probably result in you getting into medical school. One of them would cost dramatically less money. The ball is in your court.

My only concern with spending a year volunteering and studying for an MCAT retake is that I would have to apply in 2 years time instead of this summer. I am however thinking of spending all summer studying for the MCAT and taking it again before the start of an SMP.

As someone who completed an SMP, I would advise you not to go the SMP route.

Can you expand on this?? What happened?

As a Masters student -> incoming D.O at LMU-DCOM, I would recommend looking into the program here. Your stats though seem pretty fair for D.O schools. How early did you submit?

Alright thanks I will check out the program at LMU-DCOM. I was complete around mid-August so I don't think I was that late but I will make sure to be earlier next time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
My only concern with spending a year volunteering and studying for an MCAT retake is that I would have to apply in 2 years time instead of this summer. I am however thinking of spending all summer studying for the MCAT and taking it again before the start of an SMP.

Can you expand on this?? What happened?

I got in, but I also had to take out 60k in debt. If I didn't have income-based repayments my student debt repayment would be $500/month right now. Also, my original loan was for 50k but in just one year it accrued 10k in interest. And it will continue to accrue interest while I'm in med school. My original 50k loan will probably balloon to 100k by the time I finish.

You should really put some thoughtful consideration into those who are advising you not to go the SMP route. I had to do an SMP because I my gpa was <3.0. You need to talk to med school advisors, med school admissions and SMP directors and take their advice, I be they will strongly suggest that your time and money can be better spent working on other factors, e.g., mcat, volunteering and interviewing skills.

Edit: I took out two loan installments at 25k each semester for one year. And by the time my first loan repayment was due, half a year after I finished the SMP (after the grace period), my total balance was 60k.

Last edited by a moderator:
Imo a person with your stats should not be considering a SMP. SMPs are an expensive, last resort option for students with very low GPAs; too low to be salvaged via post-bacc work. Work on your interview skills, work on EC's, retake the MCAT if you're confident you can do better.

The GPAs (and the MCAT) aren't the issues. I think that you have a good grasp of what's hurting you right here. First of all, people are very poor judges of their own interview performance, so this is my first concern.

Second are the drinking issues. Are these DUIs? Possession of alcohol while underaged? Or EtOH possession in your dorm room?

It may be that the Adcoms feel that you didn't learn your lessons.

You may also have a red flag of a bad LOR.

The fact that you couldn't get love from the newer school is also concerning.

For next cycle, aim for more of the newer DO schools.

CCOM, DMU, KCUMB, LMU, MUCOM, NYIT, Nova, PCOM, Touro nevada, UNECOM, WVSOM, Rocky vista, CUCOM, VCOMs

Your MCAT is lowish for the established schools on your list (CCOM, DMU, KCU, NYIT, Nova, PCOM, UNECOM.) Everywhere else is fine and your GPA is good. When were you actually complete at your schools?

I got in, but I also had to take out 60k in debt. If I didn't have income-based repayments my student debt repayment would be $500/month right now. Also, my original loan was for 50k but in just one year it accrued 10k in interest. And it will continue to accrue interest while I'm in med school. My original 50k loan will probably balloon to 100k by the time I finish.

You should really put some thoughtful consideration into those who are advising you not to go the SMP route. I had to do an SMP because I my gpa was <3.0. You need to talk to med school advisors, med school admissions and SMP directors and take their advice, I be they will strongly suggest that your time and money can be better spent working on other factors, e.g., mcat, volunteering and interviewing skills.

Edit: I took out two loan installments at 25k each semester for one year. And by the time my first loan repayment was due, half a year after I finished the SMP (after the grace period), my total balance was 60k.

That sounds like you have almost a 20% interest rate! How did that happen?

Were your loans private loans or federal?

That sounds like you have almost a 20% interest rate! How did that happen?

Were your loans private loans or federal?

I have federal. if my edit wasn't clear:

I got in the year after I finished the SMP. My first loan of 25k had accrued interest for a year and a half, the second 25k accrued interest for a year. So total, from the time I took out the first 25k to the time my first repayment was due- a year and a half, a total of 10k interest had built up.

Compound interest is a bleep. I will likely be ~300k in debt when I finish med school. So it will either be loan repayment (primary care) program or high paying specialty. Not interested in military.

I got in the year after I finished the SMP. My first loan of 25k had accrued interest for a year and a half, the second 25k accrued interest for a year. So total, from the time I took out the first 25k to the time my first repayment was due- a year and a half, a total of 10k interest had built up.

Compound interest is a bleep. I will likely be ~300k in debt when I finish med school. So it will either be loan repayment (primary care) program or high paying specialty. Not interested in military.

That doesn't sound right…assuming that you took out $50k for 2 years, at interest rate of about 6% annually, it should only be $3000 a year, for a maximum interest of $6000 after two years…and I'm overestimating here.

Your post is making me **** in my pants about the loan interests.

CCOM, DMU, KCUMB, LMU, MUCOM, NYIT, Nova, PCOM, Touro nevada, UNECOM, WVSOM, Rocky vista, CUCOM, VCOMs

Your list was top heavy.

Very competitive - CCOM, DMU, KCUMB, NYIT, NOVA, PCOM, UNECOM, and RVUCOM.

For one, I can tell you did not do your research because some of these schools are regionally biased (e.g. UNECOM, NYIT, CCOM, etc etc)

In reach - WVSOM, CUCOM, VCOMs, LMUDCOM, TUNCOM, and MUCOM.

What state do you reside in? Because some of these schools are mission driven.

Well....... have you learned from it?

Imo a person with your stats should not be considering a SMP. SMPs are an expensive, last resort option for students with very low GPAs; too low to be salvaged via post-bacc work. Work on your interview skills, work on EC's, retake the MCAT if you're confident you can do better.

+1

The GPAs (and the MCAT) aren't the issues. I think that you have a good grasp of what's hurting you right here. First of all, people are very poor judges of their own interview performance, so this is my first concern.

Second are the drinking issues. Are these DUIs? Possession of alcohol while underaged? Or EtOH possession in your dorm room?

It may be that the Adcoms feel that you didn't learn your lessons.

You may also have a red flag of a bad LOR.

The fact that you couldn't get love from the newer school is also concerning.

For next cycle, aim for more of the newer DO schools.

Thanks for your input Goro it is really appreciated. The drinking issues involved drinking at college parties, they were from my freshman year (5 years ago) and maybe I need to articulate that I learned my lesson better than I did so I will revise that section, but there's not much else I can do about them now. I am also working on getting more volunteering hours and trying to do well in my research this year and keep my grades up. I will run mock interviews and practice more for next time like you suggested as well. Is there any way I can tell if I have a bad LOR? I can't see any of my writers doing this but who knows. Am I on the right track here? I'm just distressed right now because I have no plan for the coming year. If money was not an issue would you suggest an SMP at an osteopathic school? Maybe I should try to get a job as a scribe for the year and continue volunteering instead? Feeling kind of lost.

Your list was top heavy.

Very competitive - CCOM, DMU, KCUMB, NYIT, NOVA, PCOM, UNECOM, and RVUCOM.

For one, I can tell you did not do your research because some of these schools are regionally biased (e.g. UNECOM, NYIT, CCOM, etc etc)

In reach - WVSOM, CUCOM, VCOMs, LMUDCOM, TUNCOM, and MUCOM.

What state do you reside in? Because some of these schools are mission driven.

Well....... have you learned from it?

+1

I'm a CT resident, I guess next year I will tailor my list to the newer schools? I will work on my interviewing skills, ECs (volunteering/clinical exposure) and try to take the MCAT again if I feel confident. Any advice on what to do for the coming application cycle if an SMP is not suggested?

I'm a CT resident, I guess next year I will tailor my list to the newer schools? I will work on my interviewing skills, ECs (volunteering/clinical exposure) and try to take the MCAT again if I feel confident. Any advice on what to do for the coming application cycle if an SMP is not suggested?

Non-clinical & clinical hours: +250 hours
Shadowing: +100 hours
LORs: As many you can get.
School List: Do your research and find schools that fit ur stats.

MCAT is okay -- dont retake unless you know you can score higher. I've seen people get in with 24s

Since you have a history of drinking issues, try to look for any alcoholic outreach programs you can volunteer at. This will help admin committee see that your 5-year ago incident is no longer you.

Reactions: 1 users

Oh god that's A LOT of money...

Do you have any advice for me I have a 3.4 gpa with 26 MCAT. Should I do smp or just apply regularly?

Thank you.

SMP is a waste of money. You got feedback on volunteering and the MCAT, so why are you trying to fix something that isn't those things?

You also need to stop being picky about your schools and apply more broadly.