Osteopathic vs. Caribbean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The perception to which you speak is rampant among ignorant pre-meds (and at least one pre-dent). The public doesn't care. If you were shadow a DO, you'd come away with a more realistic perspective.

Are you trying to argue that the view that DOs are inferior to MDs is absolutely nonexistent in public perception?
If you truly believe this to be the case, then it is not I who is incorrect.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't really understand some of the arguments in this thread. Sure, there are a few programs who simply don't take DOs. These programs are also out of reach for 99% of MDs as well. Not to mention most of these "elite" academic medical centers are full of some of the most emotionally dull physicians I have run across (I currently work at one).

Congrats on your acceptance. You are wrong. Your post is exactly the kind of handwaving dismissal of legitimate issues that I try to counter when I post. You say that the programs who "simply don't take DOs" are out of reach for all but 1% MDs and that is completely false. It paints a picture of these programs being only the "Harvard Neurosurgery" programs of the world. There are programs within the "State U OB/GYN" realm that would be within reach for the majority of MDs, yet still do not consider DOs. At all. Refusing to acknowledge that these programs exist is harmful. Someone may read that what you wrote, and make their decision based on a false assurance that going DO will not shut any doors that aren't also shut for an average/below average MD applicant.

The "emotionally dull" statement is too immature for me to comment on further. You don't have to put down others to lift yourself up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Congrats on your acceptance. You are wrong. Your post is exactly the kind of handwaving dismissal of legitimate issues that I try to counter when I post. You say that the programs who "simply don't take DOs" are out of reach for all but 1% MDs and that is completely false. It paints a picture of these programs being only the "Harvard Neurosurgery" programs of the world. There are programs within the "State U OB/GYN" realm that would be within reach for the majority of MDs, yet still do not consider DOs. At all. Refusing to acknowledge that these programs exist is harmful. Someone may read that what you wrote, and make their decision based on a false assurance that going DO will not shut any doors that aren't also shut for an average/below average MD applicant.

The "emotionally dull" statement is too immature for me to comment on further. You don't have to put down others to lift yourself up.
Eh, no. There are plenty of strong programs who take DOs which makes the whole premise of this topic a mute point.

As to my last paragraph - I stand by what I said. Watching some of the residents and attendings do a physical/patient interview at this place can be cringe worthy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh, no. There are plenty of strong programs who take DOs which makes the whole premise of this topic a mute point.

As to my last paragraph - I stand by what I said. Watching some of the residents and attendings do a physical/patient interview at this place can be cringe worthy.

A couple of things...

Mute means silence, or the inability to speak.
Moot means a point which is up for debate.

Before the anti-grammar-Nazi-Nazi's descend on me, these things do matter because SDN is based upon communication using the written word...

Anyhow, what are the "strong programs" you speak of? I imagine that you're going to mention something that superficially may sound impressive on paper to the uninitiated, but in fact only proves the point @22031 Alum is trying to make.

Finally, being awkward at the bedside is not a domain isolated to MDs in the ivory tower. Just wait until your first day of med school and you look around and think, "who are all of these weirdos?!?"

Reactions: 1 users

Well as long as it's mute ;)

But seriously, they are just trying to make sure future D.O.s have all the right information and that is admirable.

Most programs that don't take D.O.s are "ivory tower" academic places that MDs want also, that's true. But, as other posters have said, there are A LOT of random "good to very good" university programs that don't take D.O.s either. From my personal experience, only 3-4 radiology programs of the top 40 will interview a D.O. and there are many others that will reject a D.O. that are not in the top 40. I don't know what it's like in all other fields, but if you want to look at the radiology sdn thread or go to auntminnie forums then you'll see it's been commonplace in radiology for awhile.

The other thing is that yes, MDs want neurosurgery, urology, and ENT just as much as DOs do, but that doesn't mean that programs should shut out D.O.s altogether. I know someone who applied for neurosurgery. He didn't match and tried to get into a "neurosurgery prelim year" which is what a lot of FMGs from India/Pakistan/Etc. do to try to get a "leg up" for the following years. He emailed a prominent program about their neurosurgery prelim year and the program director emailed him back personally and said "I'm sorry, but we don't allow D.O.s in our neurosurgery program and thus not in our neurosurgery prelim year either."

So yea, it's still out there.

1) I never said there weren't strong programs that take DOs. My whole point is that nobody should make their decision without being aware of the fact that there are some programs of all strengths that simply do not take DOs at all. You're using a common defense, which is to imply that the programs that don't consider DOs are also out of the reach of most- 99% was your statement- MD students. You are trying to imply "Don't worry about it, you were never going to match Neurosurgery anyway and that's the only type of specialty where it matters." You are wrong. You don't have to believe me, but anyone who comes along and reads what you said deserves to know that you are wrong.

2) I'm sorry that you work with "emotionally dull" physicians. You will quickly find out that such physicians are everywhere, as are physicians who are simply awesome people to be around. The fact that you felt the need to paint all "elite academics" with the same brush makes you look childish and insecure.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't have any NRMP data handy, but I'll wager that a DO can get into a decent ACGME speciality easier than any IMG. Am I wrong??

Than a carribean grad- sure. A mediocre Indian or Pakistani school- fine

Than a Western European grad, especially one from one of the better schools, I don't think so. Not all IMGs and not all foreign schools are the same.

I don't really understand some of the arguments in this thread. Sure, there are a few programs who simply don't take DOs. These programs are also out of reach for 99% of MDs as well. Not to mention most of these "elite" academic medical centers are full of some of the most emotionally dull physicians I have run across (I currently work at one).

I'd just like to point out that @Goro "liked" this post while @22031 Alum ripped the poster a new one for being an idiot
You decide who is a reliable resource (hint: not the guy going around "liking" the uninformed vitriolic and insulting posts made by insecure premeds)

I would like to second @22031 Alum's point that the programs that do not consider DOs across the board are not shut to 99% of US MDs. While some of these programs are elite (probably have to be in the top quartile of your class if you are in a low ranked or unranked school to be considered), many of them are not and are accessible to the majority of US MDs.

Reactions: 1 user
71848ce1b2a65c7dd3e2454c16266289.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.