OSU-COM class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDad

DO Stud. '08
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The original thread disappeared...

anyway,

who is going to the OSU accepted student day on the 6th?

I am with my wife, she and I are very excited!

I hope to see each and every one of you there!

Thanks

DrDad

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of this day? What method did you hear about it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'm actually going to be in town the weekend before. I may have made plans for the 6th, but I never heard anything about it and now have to work that weekend. I've got a wedding in Dallas on the 7th anyway, so I guess it wouldn't have mattered. I wonder why they never contacted me?

Oh, I forgot to tell you...your acceptance was rescinded. Sorry.

(just kidding, but wouldnt this be the worst news ever? hope all is well with all of you)

Originally posted by DrDad

who is going to the OSU accepted student day on the 6th?

"What" is the Feb. 6 thing? I just sent my stuff in Yesterday.

I received a letter inviting my spouse and I to a accepted student day on the 6th of Feb to discuss the curriculum, fin aid, etc... IE things of application to the first year.

recieved thursday jan15,04

regards

DrDad

My fiance and I will be attending it.

Hey DrDad, my fiance told me that she met you the other day. She works at a uniform shop that sells scrubs and medical supplies. I look forward to meeting you on Feb. 6th.

I was talking with some non-premed friends the other day about med school, internship year, residency and so forth. A question arose that I couldn't answer. I have done a site-wide search on SDN and didn't find anything. I also looked at OSU-COM's site and couldn't find the answer, so here goes:

Is there a stipend during an internship year?

What if you are doing something like the specialty track IM residency that combines the internship and residency?

I couldn't find anything on the OSU-COM site that stated anything about a stipend for PGY-1. All of the stipends seem to start with PGY-2. Thanks in advance. I am sure this is common knowledge, so I apologize for my ignorance.

I tried to respond to this earlier & the site froze up on me.

I looked at the school's website, and you're right about them not listing PGY1 stipends. They do get stipends, though. The residency info pages just tend not to have info on the internship years for some reason.

I did in fact meet your fiance... she was polite, and a regular curteous sales lady. I was buying scrubs for my son and daughter...

we bought the cutest Nemo scrubs for her and some plain navy for him...

cool deal

I look forward to the sixth also..

DrDad

Question...

How do you all intend to pay for medical education

I intend to pay for my medical education using
Loans:

Scholarships (Non Commitment)

Scholarships (Commitment)
Indian Health Service - DrDad

Other:

DrDad

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by DrDad
How do you all intend to pay for medical education

Loans, Physician Manpower Training Commission and illicit Soybean smuggling :D

I also may try to invent something really cool.

Hello all,
YES< YES<YES,,, I will be there with my wife. Can not wait...

:clap: :clap: :clap:

The only problem I have with the manpower assist. schol. is that you have to be in family practice or er medicine. Think I will end up loaning my way through....

Dad of three,,,, looking to do surgery/////////:wow:

what is the Physician Manpower Training Commission and where can I find more information about it?

It's a loan payback program where you agree to practice in a rural community for a certain amount of time. You need to ask Dana about it as she has all the info.

Originally posted by BUmedic
what is the Physician Manpower Training Commission and where can I find more information about it?

If you want to practice rural medicine (pop.<10K), it's free money. From what I understand, you can take it in med school, or residency (to help payback). It's to the tune of $~40K total.

http://www.pmtc.state.ok.us/

If you don't fullfill your end of the bargain, you owe them around threefold what they gave you.

Sweet, i'm gonna be the only tool bag at the admitted student day with my parents!!!!!!!! Ahh well, gotta love the folks:) Oh, and i'll be taking out loans like they're going out of style.

has anyone heard the tune of the average loan debt that you end school with?

I have heard ~120K

anyway....

DrDad

Last I heard, it was about double that. Think about it, $45K per year, 45 - 17 school =28K to live on.

OUCH!!

Originally posted by xray1murphy
Last I heard, it was about double that. Think about it, $45K per year, 45 - 17 school =28K to live on.

OUCH!!

I really don't think that's an average. You have to go way out of your way to borrow that much (although people do it on occasion, you just have to justify to Dana why you need that much...a single person doesn't need $28K to live decently in Tulsa). The $120K is much more likely.

I hope not, but the budget that I have put together, it makes sense. Losing my paycheck is going to be tough. Even though I got in, the payments won't stop. This is a big worry of mine.... We have worked it out and are getting things in order, but the $28K is the cutting our income by more than half.... Well, thats enough on the bad side, you know what they say, " Life is what happens while you are making plans". Good side, I finally did it,I am getting more excited the closer it gets.... When I got the letter, I was excited, but it was more like "Oh, thank God, finally". Now I am finally realizing that I am going..

Sorry, babbling endlessly, just can't wait....

Patrick

PS, I make it sound like I have applied a hundred times, but this was only the second. I applied once before in 99.

Then the higher amount may apply to you as you're trying to keep up your previous standard of living. That's different that someone recently out of college. I still think your average is high, but may hit close to what you'll end up with.

one this is sure, you will want to borrow as little as possible as with each dollar you spend it will take correspondingly longer to pay the debt off that is sure...

DrDad

Hey guys,
I was thinking to apply for OSUCOM..(I know it's kind of late, but I still have a chance) I have a question here about LOR.
Do they require you to have a letter from a DO? I hope not since other DO schools don't, but if they do I'm screwed.
I don't have any letter from a DO, but I do from an MD, so I don't want to "kiss ass" a DO just to get a letter from him/her....besides I only have about less than a month before the deadline for the secondary application is due.
Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

For those who got accepted to OSUCOM...COngratulations!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

bcoach

Bcoach,

a letter is required by the school and I would recommend that you do get in touch with a DO and explain that you would like to shadow but you have no time, YOU have to submit your info now... Ask if they would be willing to just do an question answer session and an interview at THEIR convenience...

You will be surprised I am sure... likely a DO will do the interview and write a basic letter.

Either way I would recommend getting to know a DO so you know what you are getting into, or do you actually know one?

attached is a link to the form page:

http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/center/student/admissions.htm

and a link to the DO eval page

http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/center/student/forms/do_eval.pdf

I hope these help..

BTW why the late application?

DrDad

when can we expect the next class of acceptees?

i am sure that after acceptee day that more people will log on too... being as we computer nerds are all going to be like a cute little click... Dont you just love the word Cute!.....JK

Hope some new attendees show up soon or acceptees.

I wish I could officially join this group. Do you have any idea when they review files again? The waitlist is not all that fun to be on.

They review it each month. They have been taking people off of the waitlist every month and will continue to do so until August, so don't lose hope!! :D

hopefully soon

you can still talk in the forum and participate though Donut

ps Gotta make the donuts!

DrDad

thanks for the invite. I heard they interviewed again last week and will review this week. So, hopefully I'll hear something soon. If not this week, I will have to start studying for the MCAT again. What a pain. I walked out of the test last year saying never again.

Wish me luck.

Originally posted by DunkinDOnut
thanks for the invite. I heard they interviewed again last week and will review this week. So, hopefully I'll hear something soon. If not this week, I will have to start studying for the MCAT again. What a pain. I walked out of the test last year saying never again.

Wish me luck.

Did you get to interview at any school at all? How many did you apply to, if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry the last past was poorly written. I interviewed at OSU in December and was waitlisted. I had called and was told they would review files the week after the next interview week. I still haven't heard anything. Everyone tells me the waitlist moves alot at OSU. I imagine most of the movement will come later when some people choose OU of OSU. I was just really hoping to hear something BEFORE June. Waiting really, really, really, really, really, really, really, SUCKS!

Hi,
I recieved an acceptance letter on 3/3, I interviewed on 2/19. Could someone please explain to me the situation with the mental health housing for $25.00/month??

I heard that over half the waitlist got in last year, so that's good news.

Originally posted by hokte
Hi,
I recieved an acceptance letter on 3/3, I interviewed on 2/19. Could someone please explain to me the situation with the mental health housing for $25.00/month??

I heard that over half the waitlist got in last year, so that's good news.

Over half is pretty normal.

The mental health housing is basically a jr efficiency apt for $25/month. You cannot be married & live in this housing, although there apparently is another one opening up for $50/month that will allow couples. The $25 one is right off of Riverside around 17th. There are a number of medical students who live there, one of my good friends is one of them. It's nothing luxurious by any means, but it appears to be liveable. Dana has plenty of info. :D

Congrats on your acceptance...I can't remember which Feb date I was an ambassador on, but I came in to chat with almost all of the Feb interview groups. We may very well have met. :)

I would advise looking into normal apartments that participate with the Tulsa Housing Authority before looking into the housing mentioned above. Certain nice apartments allow you to pay the same amount, and are cleaner & safer. I am not sure of all of these complexes, but I can tell you that Fountain Crest, where I am living on 71st, does participate.

I forgot that your deal was that good.

I second OSUdoc08's suggestion of Fountain Crest. It is much nicer than the MHA housing, isn't a bad drive at all, and has more stores/fast food/gas stations/etc nearby.

Those prices sound really good, but safety is a big issue. I'm married, but to begin with were trying not to completely relocate. So I need some place to crash when I'm just too tired or when weather gets bad. We have been on a waiting list for a home for nearly 3 years and the same day my acceptance came a house became available. Things work out so funny, huh.

Fountain Crest is in a safe area.

You may want to talk to someone about the OKC-Tulsa commute thing. I have one who has an apt here & goes home every weekend. You can PM me if you want his contact info.

got any newbies yet?