~~~ OSU-COM Class of 2010 ~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what time do classes start in the morning? I think they talked about this at the tour, but is the library open 24/7?

Members don't see this ad.

Library closes during the night, but is open pretty late. The school itself is open 24/7.

Classes start at 8 am in MS2. The start times are variable in MS1: first semester you have one day that is afternoon only & the others start at 9. 2nd semester I think they all start at 8.

Abe said:
what time do classes start in the morning? I think they talked about this at the tour, but is the library open 24/7?

:laugh:

classes

library

Members don't see this ad :)
DrMom said:
Oh, yeah...some people don't go to class & then PM classmates on SDN to see if they're missing anything. :p

I know. Can you believe those slackers? :thumbdown:

Regular Hours
Mon-Thu 7:00am-midnight
Fri 7:00am-9:00pm
Sat 9:00am-9:00pm
Sun 9:00am-midnight

Holidays and Breaks
The library may or may not be open depending on the holiday. Breaks the library is usually open from 7:30-4:30/5:30

http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/medlibrary/schedule.htm

Its sad that I know all these hours. It wouldn't be because I study there at all though :) (I'm not a med student there ... YET!)

If anyone is looking to buy a house, I've found a great development in Sapulpa. It is called Hickory Place, which is on Hickory St in the south part of town. Rausch Coleman is the developer. They will build you a new 3br 2 bath house for around 90K. Larger 3/2 houses cost a little more and come with more options. The mortgage, insurance, and property tax on it would be less than many apartments. They have several model homes that you can look at and either buy that home, or select its floorplan and modify it to your taste. Their website is http://www.rauschcolemanhomes.com. I looked all over town and this is by far the best deal that I found.

DO_Doc said:
I was wondering if anyone could help me with some student loan questions. I have never had to take loans out and was wondering if anyone could tell me what I should look for when choosing a provider. I know that interest rate is a big one but beyond that Im lost. I have already filed my FAFSA so now im just confused on which provider. Any and all suggesstions would be appreciated.

Thanx

First thing to do: File your taxes and fill out your fafsa. The school's id number can be looked up on the form online. Financial aid money usually gets disbursed the first week of school, so be sure to have a cushion for rent, etc.
While you are waiting, check out this link from the school website:
http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/student/financialaid/lenders.html
It kinda hilights the benefits. I went with Total Higher Education/NorthStar. They are nonprofit, have been in the business for 10 years, and focus on medical students. We are their bread and butter. They respect us. Their benefits start the day you start payback. Other programs require on time payments for like 33 months before you start seeing any relief.

Anyway, most of it's in the packet you'll get. There are scholarships available through outside companies like the military, Physician manpower, etc. with strings attached.

I'm a MS2.

Mike1985 said:
any1 not lookin foward to the rural rotation? I think i heard it was mandatory, for some reason it just doesnt look appealing to me at all.. dont get me wrong im glad i got in, but thats just one part that i really dont want to do.

Ah, the rural rotation...actually, not that bad for me. Mine was in Langley, which is right by Grand Lake and I did the rotation in August. Didn't really work that hard either. :cool:

Seriously, you may find that the rural rotation is much more interesting than any of the others simply because the doctors are well known and well loved...and you meet some truly interesting patients.

Don't sweat it for now though...get through your first year, then your second, then just go from month to month, and before you know it, it'll all be over with and you will be a doctor!!! :D

Has anyone looked into Insurance?

At first glance it is looking like SOMA is a better plan than AMSA or BCBSOK.

Are there others I should consider?

Members don't see this ad :)
The company that administers SOMA's plan (Mega Life & Health) is horrible. The coverage itself isn't great & the company tries to deny everything. We've (or actually, my husband has) spent a ton of time on the phone with them getting things paid for. Many other organizational policies are managed by Mega, too, so look them over carefully.

If you really need to be on a group policy (ie: to have preexisting conditions covered) then you may not have any better choices, but if you have no health probs you might look at some individual policies. (keeping in mind that it may come back to haunt you later if you're diagnosed with anything significant in the meantime)

mdearlydo2010 said:
Has anyone looked into Insurance?

At first glance it is looking like SOMA is a better plan than AMSA or BCBSOK.

Are there others I should consider?

avoid SOMA AND AMSA

I've only heard bad things about both

So, MS3 and MS4's get their financial aid processed by June and then the first and second years get ours in June or July?

futured.o. said:
So, MS3 and MS4's get their financial aid processed by June and then the first and second years get ours in June or July?

MS3's & 4's get their money disbursed in mid-July, so it has to be done before then. MS1's & 2's don't get their money until late August.

You will recieve your financial aid package when you come to the admitted students' day in the summer in June (at least I did.)

I thought there might be a problem with deadlines, if we didn't get them until this summer. That only leaves a month for any problems to be worked out or applying for the perkins loan.

You'll have no problem getting loan $ no matter when you get the paperwork/fafsa in. Obviously you want your $ with the first disbursement in August, but you don't have to have anything done imminently to have that happen. I didn't do anything for fin aid until July before MS1 (because I kept putting it off :oops:) & had no problems.

mdearlydo2010 said:
I thought there might be a problem with deadlines, if we didn't get them until this summer. That only leaves a month for any problems to be worked out or applying for the perkins loan.

The Perkins loan is distributed by the school. Since everyone in your class will recieve the financial aid package at the same time as everyone else, you will be at no disadvantage.

With that said, keep in mind that Perkins is distributed to out of state students first, as available. This is contigent upon your FAFSA being completed in a timely manner. If the FAFSA is done---you are done.

Did anybody get some love this week?

I got nothin' and am beginning to think they hate me. :(

:) Cheer up MS you're not alone! I keep hoping that those of us still waiting will get the good word soon. I mean, you and Mech-E have been waiting for a while and it seems like it's been a while for me too.

Last month, when decisions were mailed out my wife saw a FedEx truck pass the house, come back, slow down, stop :scared: ...................and then leave a package at our next door neighbor's pad. She was so excited that she actually went over to the neighbors' home (since noone was there) and picked up the package to see if the FedEx person made a mistake. :laugh:

Anyways, GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Hello,

I am in the OSU-COM class of 2009 and I help to run the Class forum. I don't know if it has been discussed here or not but...

I am in need of a couple of tech savvy accepted students that are definitely coming to OSU next year.

If you:

-Say "hello world" in multiple languages
-Feel that your laptop is an extra extremity
-want to dedicate some time to helping out your entire class
-feel you can moderate a group of people with integrity

you can PM me or email me with the email under my username if you are interested.

Cheers,
Scott Mackey

Hello all, I haven't posted in the OSU forum for quite a bit now. Congratulations to all who've been accepted! I was waitlisted in November and was held in limbo until March 9th when the FedEx truck finally came. It was a hard decision, but we've decided to stay here in Colorado where we are settled (was accepted to CU SOM in December). I sent in the decline form with a heavy heart on March 23rd, so hopefully one of you fellow SDNers will get the spot. I interviewed with you Fraggle - I truly wish you and all of the other soon to be MS1s the best! You are going to an awesome school!

medicalbound said:
Hello all, I haven't posted in the OSU forum for quite a bit now. Congratulations to all who've been accepted! I was waitlisted in November and was held in limbo until March 9th when the FedEx truck finally came. It was a hard decision, but we've decided to stay here in Colorado where we are settled (was accepted to CU SOM in December). I sent in the decline form with a heavy heart on March 23rd, so hopefully one of you fellow SDNers will get the spot. I interviewed with you Fraggle - I truly wish you and all of the other soon to be MS1s the best! You are going to an awesome school!

I remember meeting you & fraggle when you interviewed. :) Congrats on your CU spot.

Now go take it easy as much as you can between now & school starting :D

DrMom said:
I remember meeting you & fraggle when you interviewed. :) Congrats on your CU spot.

Now go take it easy as much as you can between now & school starting :D

Thanks Dr. Mom (almost officially doctor eh?) Where are you doing your intern year and what specialty did you choose? I'll think of you guys when I'm back in Tulsa for family get-togethers.

I am doing exactly as you suggest and taking it easy before classes start. I've been spending tons of time with my wife and kiddos - watching movies, reading books, playing, and simply relaxing. Take care and thanks again!

I was wondering how much stuff actually happens in between the months of late june to day of orientation for us future MS1's. The reason I ask is Im going to Europe for 4 wks and wont really have access to a computer or cell phone for the most part of my trip. I was told that we hear from our MS2's a couple of weeks before classes start but besides that is there anything else I should prepare for in advance or be on the look for while across seas?

DO_Doc said:
anything else I should prepare for in advance or be on the look for while across seas?

sounds like you've got it covered, enjoy your next to last free summer as much as you can.......

DO_Doc said:
I was wondering how much stuff actually happens in between the months of late june to day of orientation for us future MS1's. The reason I ask is Im going to Europe for 4 wks and wont really have access to a computer or cell phone for the most part of my trip. I was told that we hear from our MS2's a couple of weeks before classes start but besides that is there anything else I should prepare for in advance or be on the look for while across seas?

There really isn't too much you will miss. Maybe a call from your 2nd year or something. I was out of the country for most of the 7 months before starting medical school and didn't miss out on anything, just make sure you get your FAFSA and loans done before then.

I know I have asked many times but does anyone have any suggesstions on apartments that are near the school and are cheap?

DrMom said:
There are decent & inexpensive apartments around the 71st & Riverside/Lewis area. There's also the complex right next to the school.

If you would like some information on the apartments in the 71st & Riverside/Lewis area, PM me (this is where I live.)

I wouldn't recommend living right next to school, unless one of your priorities is being able to walk to class. There are no good fast food restaurants, sit down restaurants, grocery stores, or businesses in the area. The apartment I live in is only 7 miles away, is around all of these businesses, is a little bit better in quality of an apartment, and actually has cheaper rent.

You will also find that waking up to see the school out of your window every morning can become a bit tiresome.

I would recommend anything along riverside, as that is a fast route. As far as "fun" areas to live, I would recommend the riverside or peoria areas.

Anything off of the BA 54/61 or towards the southeast will get you traffic in the morning.

OSUdoc08 said:
If you would like some information on the apartments in the 71st & Riverside/Lewis area, PM me (this is where I live.)

I wouldn't recommend living right next to school, unless one of your priorities is being able to walk to class. There are no good fast food restaurants, sit down restaurants, grocery stores, or businesses in the area. The apartment I live in is only 7 miles away, is around all of these businesses, is a little bit better in quality of an apartment, and actually has cheaper rent.

You will also find that waking up to see the school out of your window every morning can become a bit tiresome.

I would recommend anything along riverside, as that is a fast route. As far as "fun" areas to live, I would recommend the riverside or peoria areas.

Anything off of the BA 54/61 or towards the southeast will get you traffic in the morning.

Thank you for the advice I will look into those apartments on riverside. Now I have a starting place for apartments.

The apts by the school really aren't that bad. When you are tired and need to go to school you have a 5 min walk. With gas hikes, it would be nice. Also, they are cheap. Although OSUdoc says they aren't near anything, he also said he only lives 7 miles away. Unless you're a city person and not used to driving, then you are going to drive 5-10 mins for a food store.

If you are a single person, for the first two years its not a bad option to have a small apt right next to the place that you will be living, breathing and peeing for the next two years. You can walk to school, if you have late night or early morning study sessions you don't have to worry about parking or being late to class with traffic (but watch the trains!) You are right next to the riverwalk to go running and of the sort. If it were me, I would rent westport apts. But there are other alternatives. But don't take just one view. You can look up on apartments.com or a few of the other apt sites out there for tulsa apts then ask about them on here.

mshheaddoc said:
The apts by the school really aren't that bad. When you are tired and need to go to school you have a 5 min walk. With gas hikes, it would be nice. Also, they are cheap. Although OSUdoc says they aren't near anything, he also said he only lives 7 miles away. Unless you're a city person and not used to driving, then you are going to drive 5-10 mins for a food store.

If you are a single person, for the first two years its not a bad option to have a small apt right next to the place that you will be living, breathing and peeing for the next two years.
You can walk to school, if you have late night or early morning study sessions you don't have to worry about parking or being late to class with traffic (but watch the trains!) You are right next to the riverwalk to go running and of the sort. If it were me, I would rent westport apts. But there are other alternatives. But don't take just one view. You can look up on apartments.com or a few of the other apt sites out there for tulsa apts then ask about them on here.

Note: This is more true for people who like to attend lecture and study at school.

For those who like to study in parks, restaurants, sports bars, coffee shops, bookstores, et. al., it would be better to live around these areas.

You will obviously find views on both, but many of the upperclassmen I know wish they didn't waste 2 years paying extra money to live next door to section 8 (project) housing, when they could live a few miles away within (safe) walking distance of multiple businesses and study areas.

Tiagao said:
:) Cheer up MS you're not alone! I keep hoping that those of us still waiting will get the good word soon. I mean, you and Mech-E have been waiting for a while and it seems like it's been a while for me too.

Last month, when decisions were mailed out my wife saw a FedEx truck pass the house, come back, slow down, stop :scared: ...................and then leave a package at our next door neighbor's pad. She was so excited that she actually went over to the neighbors' home (since noone was there) and picked up the package to see if the FedEx person made a mistake. :laugh:

Anyways, GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Hi, guys! I just wanted to say keep your chins up. I did not get my acceptance letter until August 4th, 2005 for the Class of 2009!! And, I had already filed my FAFSA so I got my loan money with everyone else. Just remember, there's always hope. ;)

Good luck!

Tiffany Baumgartner
Class of 2009

Okay, I know this should probably not be at the top of my priority list right now, but I am interested in what OSU-COMers have to say. I am 24 years old. My husband and I have been together for five years (married two) and have been talking about a baby for a few months now, but we're unsure about the timing. I have heard from some that the summer between your first and second year is a good time to have a baby because that is your last "real" summer and the first two years are more or less structured with a concrete schedule. However, that would mean I would be pregnant pretty much all first year and I don't know how I'm going to handle the whole morning sickness thing! Then, I've heard to wait until third year because, from what I understand, you get 2 weeks off when you choose. The drawback to that theory is I'll be traveling on rotations and pretty much never home. I know we have plenty of time, but I just wanted your opinions. I know many of you have children and have had them during medical school. Thank you.

3rd year isn't the greatest time. You can take a month off (no 2 week increments) and it isn't quite whenever you choose but whenever you have an elective month. Third year is pretty full with required rotations.

Summer before 2nd year would be better. 4th year can be manageable, but you'll also be going on residency interviews during the fall/winter.

I've had classmates have babies anywhere from 2nd semester of 1st year to 4th year. They've all managed, but it definitely helps to have plenty of family support.

DrMom said:
3rd year isn't the greatest time. You can take a month off (no 2 week increments) and it isn't quite whenever you choose but whenever you have an elective month. Third year is pretty full with required rotations.

Summer before 2nd year would be better. 4th year can be manageable, but you'll also be going on residency interviews during the fall/winter.

I've had classmates have babies anywhere from 2nd semester of 1st year to 4th year. They've all managed, but it definitely helps to have plenty of family support.

When someone has a baby during a semester, does the school work with her? How does that situation work? Thank you.

You're somewhat limited in the time you can take off simply because of the volume and scheduling. They've all been back pretty quickly. Sometimes they're back to take a test(s) within a week or two, but they've pretty much been back to normal class/rotation within 4 weeks. Don't expect a normal maternity leave unless you're doing this during the clinical years and have 2 elective months in a row that happen to fall when you deliver.

DrMom said:
You're somewhat limited in the time you can take off simply because of the volume and scheduling. They've all been back pretty quickly. Sometimes they're back to take a test(s) within a week or two, but they've pretty much been back to normal class/rotation within 4 weeks. Don't expect a normal maternity leave unless you're doing this during the clinical years and have 2 elective months in a row that happen to fall when you deliver.

And in your opinion, does it slow down any during your residency years? The reason I ask is because the D.O. I shadowed had her first child during the first year of her Ob/Gyn residency.

First year of residency would be tough like 3rd year of medical school, but again...people manage. Right at the end of residency has worked really well for some women I've talked with.