~~~ OSU-COM Class of 2010 ~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DrDad said:
please dont speak unless you have first hand information

undesirable area is a matter of reference, and the IHS facilities for the most part are not the greatest, but that is assumed...

There is no such thing as commitment to a specialty that you are uninterested in, you are able to go into most any specialty, as far as primary care goes, as long as you remain in primary care there will be Absolutely no problems with specialty,

it has its pros and cons

good luck

DrDad

It looks like you agree with me.

Members don't see this ad.

OSUdoc08 said:
It looks like you agree with me.

Anyway...Do research into the IHS scholarship program to find out what you're getting yourself into. Before accepting the scholarship in undergrad, I spoke with people whom already had it and others whom were offered it, but declined the scholarship. Both sides had justifiable reasons for accepting or declining the scholarship. True, IHS facilities may not be state-of-the-art, but my focus is on helping the patients in the facilities, not the facilities themselves. In the end, you are the one whom will be responsible for the payback if you accept the scholarship, weigh the pros and cons and do what's right for you.

Thank you for all of the feedback! I officially made my final decision today, so now all I have to do is show up orientation week. Oh yeah, and buy some professional clothes. : (

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need a whole lot in the way of professional clothes until you start rotations. You'll only be expected to dress up when big-wigs come to campus, there are guest speakers, or if you go to the clinic or hospital (which you only occasionally do as a 1st or 2nd year).

Most of us just wear business casual. Slacks and a nice shirt (sometimes ties for guys) and some shiny shoes. And by the end of orientation week, most people are going back to sneakers, jeans, and t-shirts. OSU tees, of course! LOL. The only time it gets dicey is during Bedlam Week, and those of us that are OU fans get ribbed just a little! During the rest of the time, it is scrubs and tees with ugly yet comfy crocs.

OK, I know I've asked this before, but is anyone NOT buying a tablet pc?

fraggle said:
OK, I know I've asked this before, but is anyone NOT buying a tablet pc?

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this one, too. I've talked to a few 2nd years and most say that they didn't have a need for a laptop or tablet pc. I'm going to buy a laptop instead of a tablet if we do need one since I can type faster than I can write anyway. Plus, tablet are really expensive.

I spoke with a couple of people from the school, and was told that I might email Dr. Meek about it, so I did. He said that the school is talking to a few pc companies about tablets and that he doesn't think it will be a requirement, but may be a recommendation. He also said that we might get emails about the pc with the specs they want by the first of August. Basically, no one knows for sure whether we absolutely need them. I'm just a little frustrated, because I don't have a computer at all right know, and I'd kind of like to buy one soon, but I'd rather just get a laptop. And yeah, the tablets are pricey.

DrMom said:
:laugh: gee, DW...you scared her off the continent :p

That's entirely possible. However, I'm banking on the fact that she is probably using the 2-month rule.

For those not familiar, that is when a girl waits 2 months to call back because she doesn't want to seem desperate.

Tablets seem to be the way things are going. Several people in my class have one and swear by them. I know the school is trying to work out a deal with a company to get a discounted price. I've heard the clinics may eventually go to them since charts are going electronic. If you guys want some names/emails of students that currently have tablets, just send me a message and I can get you contact with them to get the pros/cons.

has every1 mentor contacted them? I just need to make sure im set on a microscope, and maybe figure out what books i really need

Abe said:
has every1 mentor contacted them? I just need to make sure im set on a microscope, and maybe figure out what books i really need

My 2nd year emailed me yesterday. If you haven't heard from yours, I wouldn't get too frusterated yet. We still have three weeks left before orientation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wendy11 said:
I've heard the clinics may eventually go to them since charts are going electronic.

Some of the OSU clinics have had EMR (electronic medical records) for well over a year now. Others are getting ready to move over. They do use tablets for this.

Do more students with tablets have IBM or Gateway?

I have a Gateway tablet, it think it is a CX200X or something like that. I got it in December and love it. If anyone is considering buying a laptop, I recommend paying the extra money to get a tablet, just in case you end up needing one.

yesterday there was a $1000 gateway tablet pc at office depot it was pretty cool, kinda heavy to me, i didnt have time to look at the specs im sure it needs some upgrades

I think the school is trying to set the deal with Gateway, but the people I've talked to own Toshiba's. The majority of the newer tablets have the capability of being used as a normal laptop with keyboard and everything, and you can turn the screen and use it as a tablet. I played with one the other day and they seem pretty nice and user friendly. If you plan on buying on a laptop anyways, I would suggest going ahead and getting a tablet because I think they will required down the road.

Oh, and in regards to books, if you are really concerned about figuring out what ones you really need, I can help you out if your mentor is slow getting back to you!

Wendy11 said:
Oh, and in regards to books, if you are really concerned about figuring out what ones you really need, I can help you out if your mentor is slow getting back to you!

Yes, please. In your opinion, which books do we need for Fall semester?

You do NOT need the biochem book....I never once had time to look at the anatomy textbooks. The anatomy notes will get you through. You will need a Netter's anatomy atlas or something similiar, but if you join SOMA (which you should), you will get a free Netter's. The histology textbook will probably be the only one you really need, and the main reason is he gives figure quizzes over pictures in that book. The bad part is, it is a new edition this year, so I don't know if you can get by on the old one. That is probably the only have to have book. I bought the Chung's gross anatomy board review book and really liked the practice questions in it. They are also going to suggest you get a histology atlas...I had one and used it a couple of times, but I don't know if it was really worth it. If you have any other questions, just let me know!

In regard to the tablet discussion, Chad made a post about the deals the school set up with 2 companies. If you have access to the class website, you should check it out under the general forum. He also owns a tablet, so he can give you more feedback.

Can somebody post the link to the class website? Also, has anyone gotten their student email addresses yet?

Wendy11 said:
In regard to the tablet discussion, Chad made a post about the deals the school set up with 2 companies. If you have access to the class website, you should check it out under the general forum. He also owns a tablet, so he can give you more feedback.

So are we going to meet up before orientation week?? :D

Let's do it!! It will be SO much easier going in knowing some faces!

steponie said:
Let's do it!! It will be SO much easier going in knowing some faces!

Just tell me where and when! We don't have much time left!

Any ideas on which bars are good to go to? I went to middle school and high school in Tulsa, but haven't been there since I've been 21!

McNellies downtown or Kilkenny's on 15th street

McNellies is pretty cool, but Kilkenny's is one of my favorites. My vote is for Kilkenny's!
How about Thursday night? It's a weird night, but none of the bars will be too packed and it still gives us time to hang out w/ family one last weekend. How does that sound to everyone else?

steponie said:
McNellies is pretty cool, but Kilkenny's is one of my favorites. My vote is for Kilkenny's!
How about Thursday night? It's a weird night, but none of the bars will be too packed and it still gives us time to hang out w/ family one last weekend. How does that sound to everyone else?

Hey guys, is everyone on Chad's website? We could discuss this on our class forum so that we don't miss anyone.

How's it going everyone. Just found out about and got registered for the forums here. Looking forward to meeting everyone. I think the meeting up on Thursday is a great idea.

For those of you not on the class website, I hope this gets to you in time. :luck:
We are getting together tonight, Thursday, at Kilkenny's on Cherry Street (on 15th St. between Peoria and Utica) at 7pm. Ask for the OSU table at the door! Hope to see you all there!

A bunch of 2nd yrs are going to McNellie's on Friday at 9:30. You guys should come out!

Wendy11 said:
A bunch of 2nd yrs are going to McNellie's on Friday at 9:30. You guys should come out!

You are on the ball with 'getting the mcnellies word out,' wendy! i'll be there (as if you had a doubt.) i know my first year is going to kilkennys tonight--not sure if i can make that in time, but i might be there too. :)

Saw some of you guys on your way to BLS at the hospital on Tues afternoon. :) Good luck to all of you. I hope you're enjoying getting to know each other.

Why am I on here? I should be studying for my histo final.
uuuuuuuuuuuhhh...
Anatomy = DONE:thumbup: