OSU-COM Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docdo2007

goin to med school....
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received my acceptance letter!! Anyone else out there yet?? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I received my acceptance letter!! Anyone else out there yet?? :laugh:

Congrats!!!:) :) When did you interview? I interviewed on Nov. 14, and myself and several others were waitlisted. Just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!!:) :) When did you interview? I interviewed on Nov. 14, and myself and several others were waitlisted. Just curious.

Same day as you. Who was waitlisted? I know of one other that interviewed the same day who was also accepted. I have heard that those who get waitlisted early usually stilll get in though!

fraggle....are you already an MS-1, or entering this coming year?

Same day as you. Who was waitlisted? I know of one other that interviewed the same day who was also accepted. I have heard that those who get waitlisted early usually stilll get in though!

fraggle....are you already an MS-1, or entering this coming year?

Yea, I'm not sure if it's the guy from AR or UT that got accepted. I know he was from OOS and there were only two that day from OOS. His moniker on SDN is medicineman20, I do know that, and he interviewed with us. So now I'm just waiting and obsessing about it.:laugh: Congrats again! I believe one of the guys that interviewed at KC was waitlisted also. I'm not sure about others. Haven't heard or seen anything. I know there were later interviewees that were waitlisted.

Yea, I'm not sure if it's the guy from AR or UT that got accepted. I know he was from OOS and there were only two that day from OOS. His moniker on SDN is medicineman20, I do know that, and he interviewed with us. So now I'm just waiting and obsessing about it.:laugh: Congrats again! I believe one of the guys that interviewed at KC was waitlisted also. I'm not sure about others. Haven't heard or seen anything. I know there were later interviewees that were waitlisted.

So, which one are you? Should I guess you are the EMT????

So, which one are you? I was in the black pantsuit, female, from NSU. I know one of the other guys from NSU was accepted as well. Should I guess you are the EMT from NSU as well????

And you would be correct. :laugh:

Ya know, the fall semester is barely over, but I'd bet this guy is already getting antsy about getting you guys next fall with his uber-specific/miniscule test questions.

meek.jpg

Ya know, the fall semester is barely over, but I'd bet this guy is already getting antsy about getting you guys next fall with his uber-specific/miniscule test questions.

meek.jpg

I see from the html tag that this is "Meek", prof of anatomy?? Ok, fill us in...give us the scoop on him. What should we know going in?:eek:

I see from the html tag that this is "Meek", prof of anatomy?? Ok, fill us in...give us the scoop on him. What should we know going in?:eek:

He's the histo prof, he does some anatomy, but not much. He's known as Tricky Meeky, very tough tests as he'll pick minusha to put on there. but no matter how irritating it was to have a question on the test which wasn't in the notes and wasn't in the reading assignments and only mentioned once in passing in lecture or the slide that had only one aveoli on it making it a respiratory bronchiole (i think) instead of a terminal bronchiole (or whatever the difference was), it was still hard not to like the guy.

He's the histo prof, he does some anatomy, but not much. He's known as Tricky Meeky, very tough tests as he'll pick minusha to put on there.... it was still hard not to like the guy.

Good to know. I've heard horror stories about the histo class. I guess our class will be the first to not have microscopes however. What year are you?

meek.jpg

ah, "the meekster". it's been less than a week and i'm having "bonus point" withdrawal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to see if I can get any info on OSU-COM's "Bridge" program (I more or less fit into that "boat"). Anyone been through it or have more info about the nature of the program than what's available on the website?

Bridge program is for economically or educationally disadvantaged students that take a lighter courseload their first year. You are required to get at least an 85 in all the classes in order to continue to the next year without having to repeat the class.

If you think you qualify call the office for specifics because honestly its hard to say "you fit" as there are strict criteria that have to be met. Otherwise everything they list on the website. I have not been through the program but I have talked to some who have been through the program as well as other students. Consensus is that they have a difficult time as 2nd years because they aren't used to the course load as many have the first year courseload split into two years. I know that was a concern for some as well as trying to study for boards, but I do not believe that was across the board with bridge applicants. Med school is a very individualized thing whether you go through the bridge program or not! :) But that is the only "negative" thing said. Many of the bridge students have successfully entered the med school program with minimal issues. This is a fairly new program and they haven't graduated anyone under the current guidelines as I believe class of 2008 have the first disadvantaged bridge class (class of 2007 didn't have the strict disadvanted guidelines). The school will work with you to get through and if you qualify I would highly suggest this program.

Be warned, it IS competitive though. I don't know if you already have to have been rejected or you can apply in the same year. I'm sure someone else can answer that or the school could answer that for you.

Oh and this is an outsiders opinion as I do not formally attend the school, but that will hopefully change as I'm expected to take some classes there this fall ;) Hope that helps. :)

Let's keep this going so the new classmates will join in.......:D Anyone know any good jokes???

I wonder if OSU is just not sending out as many acceptance letters as the other colleges yet, or if the students just don't access SDN??? Hmmmm...it's a mystery. I think I am alone on the island right now....:D

There have been relatively few acceptances to my knowledge and remember not everyone uses SDN regularly. Some don't even know about it. So pass on the SDN love ;)

They have not sent out very many acceptances at this point. And I have seen very few people on SDN that have applied to OSU so... I think it's a little of both, not very many acceptances, and not very many people know or on SDN.:D

i have a nit picky question about the secondary...did anyone call the office to find out if we could attach separate pages to answer their questions? or do we have to fill it in in the prescribed boxes? i'm hoping to have this secondary out tomorrow, but i'm having some trouble typing in the pdf and saving it. thanks for the help guys! and congrats :)

i have a nit picky question about the secondary...did anyone call the office to find out if we could attach separate pages to answer their questions? or do we have to fill it in in the prescribed boxes? i'm hoping to have this secondary out tomorrow, but i'm having some trouble typing in the pdf and saving it. thanks for the help guys! and congrats :)

Man, I've not heard that question before. I would definitely call the office and see if you can attach additional documents. My other suggestion is to download the latest version of Adobe pdf viewer. Since the secondary is a fillable pdf, with the latest version you should be able to do a Save as... option. If not try typing your responses in word and do a cut and paste, that way you atleast have a somewhat saved document. Sorry it's probably not much help, but...:laugh: :luck:

ah, "the meekster". it's been less than a week and i'm having "bonus point" withdrawal.

I think many of us are having bonus point withdraw. Even though he's tough he's an awesome professor and it's hard to walk away not loving him. Although throughout the semester it's more like a love-hate relationship. Just go prepared for class and you'll do fine! CONGRATS to all who have gotten in and to those who will. OSU-COM is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I'm sure you're right...not many acceptances from what I've heard as well. I just want to meet everyone.....I'm so ready to just get started!! :D

As for the secondary application, I had to print mine to even have a copy because I never could get access to the save or save as options. I hope you have better luck!! ;) That's a great idea to send in an attachment, if they will allow it.

Good luck everyone! I agree: OSU-COM is the best!

Hi medic....glad to see you are still lurking out there!! :laugh:

Hi medic....glad to see you are still lurking out there!! :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Yea, I'm still lurking in the backrounds! :laugh: I am hoping for good news this year!:luck: :D I'm just hanging and waiting.

Yea, I'm still lurking in the backrounds! :laugh: I am hoping for good news this year!:luck: :D I'm just hanging and waiting.

I'm sure you'll hear from them! Did you apply anywhere else? Just being nosey!!!:)

I'm sure you'll hear from them! Did you apply anywhere else? Just being nosey!!!:)

That's alright I don't mind. No OSU is the only one. I have to many obligations to my family, to have to move:eek:, and it's very expensive to travel around the country to do interviews, plus the application fees:thumbdown:. Not to mention OSU is the only school I that I want to attend. I've checked out others, but I have a lot of friends and acquaintances that have attended OSU and after our visit I was completely sold. It's home and if I get accepted I can do rotations in western OK were I went to high school and where my parents live.:D

Hey everyone. I just got a phone call from OSU, and they said that they wanted to verify that they had my correct address because they were sending me something by UPS! I guess I know what that means. :thumbup:

Hey everyone. I just got a phone call from OSU, and they said that they wanted to verify that they had my correct address because they were sending me something by UPS! I guess I know what that means. :thumbup:

Hey Justin, I received the same phone call today!!!!!!:) :) :) :) :thumbup: :luck:

Cool! I guess that means we're going to the same med school. OSU is my top choice. I only applied to others as a fall back. Congratulations!

Yea! I'm stoked! This is a dream come true! I have to call Sara in the am, I didn't get the message until I got home tonight from work. I guess your pulling out of KC?:D

Yea! I'm stoked! This is a dream come true! I have to call Sara in the am, I didn't get the message until I got home tonight from work. I guess your pulling out of KC?:D

I will wait until I have the official letter in hand, but yes, I am pulling out of KC. I am glad you said you got the same call, because I still feel like I'm dreaming. I got the call when I was wandering around the seafood section at Sam's Club looking for a good deal on shrimp. I was totally not expecting a call, especially one this important. I answered my cell phone and someone on the other end sounded like they said they were from "LSU medical." I was kind of confused, and just went along. I never heard of LSU, let alone never applied to one. I thought maybe it was a prospecting call; you know how once you take the MCAT, all the medical schools in the world crawl out of the woodwork and find you. They said they were sending me "a letter by UPS regarding my application," and verified my address. I said "ok" and then hung up. Just then I realized she said "OSU," the UPS thing hit me, and I about fell over. I immediately started calling people and telling them.

I received the same phone call today!!!!!!:) :) :) :) :thumbup: :luck:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! I knew you'd get in!!:thumbup: :thumbup:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! I knew you'd get in!!:thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks! :D It's still hasn't sank in all the way yet, I've been lighting my phone up today!:laugh: My parents were very excited, of course! Can't wait to see everyone! :laugh: :D

I got it! I got it! I'm in! I'm in! I'm in!
I'm going to being an Oklahoman, or an Okie, or something!
I'm going to do an OSU dual residency in IM and Peds!
But most importantly of all, I'm going to be an OSU Doc!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!

just got the good news today as well! tulsa is a pretty sweet place to live, so its very exciting

I got mine last night!!!! It's completely official now!! OSU-COM class 2011!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :) :D :eek:

Hey guys! I received the same type of call from Sara then I received the actual letter yesterday. I am so excited. I absolutely love the school. Congrats, everyone.

any idea where you all are going to live next year? for me personally, im looking midtown/brookside area since its close to school and a developing area.

any idea where you all are going to live next year? for me personally, im looking midtown/brookside area since its close to school and a developing area.

I have absolutely no idea. I'm open to suggestions. I'm looking for a two to three bedroom house or duplex with at least some back yard so I can have a garden.

I have absolutely no idea. I'm open to suggestions. I'm looking for a two to three bedroom house or duplex with at least some back yard so I can have a garden.

if your looking to buy, i would start looking now. i am in tulsa right now, and there are some really good houses for sale relatively close to school.

I am glad to say that I will be joining the OSU COM Class of 2011 as well!!! I am an in-state student from OSU and interviewed on December 18th. I look forward to getting to know all of my fellow classmates!

I need some advice on how to withdraw my applications from other schools. Which is more appropriate, to send a letter or make a phone call?

if your looking to buy, i would start looking now. i am in tulsa right now, and there are some really good houses for sale relatively close to school.

JK and emoney, there are lot of houses in Tulsa for sale or rent. I live only about 15 mins away in a suburb so... Not really in that market, but I have a friend at work whose wife is a real estate agent if you need help. You can email me at [email protected] for the info. Let me know and I will see what I can do for you.